Thursday, April 6, 2017

Crossing Over: Fun Science Fiction Superhero Stories


Hey all. It's been awhile Crossing Over post. If you're not familiar with Crossing Over it's a feature that stemmed from my desire to recommend an adult book with crossover appeal based on a YA or sometimes Middle Grade book that are similar. I hate that we pigeonhole books into a specific age range and so I try to combat that. Plus it's basically an if you liked, then try but for crossover books. It runs once a month (usually) here and I pick the books based on the theme of what I'm reading. So this month my focus is science fiction. You would think this would be an easy category but honestly, it is one of the hardest for me. Maybe because I don't read a ton of adult Sci-Fi. But I did come up with a really great one for this month.



Steelheart by Brandon Sandersom
Read My Review / Add to Goodreads

I love this series. I love Brandon Sanderson and this is the book that started it for me. It's really phenomenal and if I haven't convinced you to read it yet I have not been doing my job. I have also already talked about Steelheart for another Crossing Over post but I had to use it again because it just makes so much sense now.

So my favorite thing about Steelheart is probably the characters. They are honestly such fun and complex characters. The main character has such a fun voice and I love being in his head throughout the book. But the secondary characters are just as amazing. There are so many different people here. Some of them are kickass and tough, others are fun and silly, but many of them have secrets.

Speaking of secrets, this is a book full of secrets. The thing I love most about Sanderson's writing is that he constantly manages to surprise me. He surprised the crap out of me with this book and there are so many amazing reveals adding to a plot full of adventure and action. It's super thrilling is what I'm saying. But it's also lighthearted. There are so many laughs in this book, it's amazing.

The thing that makes these books most similar however is the fact that they are about superheroes and unique superheroes. The world here is super fascinating with an incident causing people to get powers and that leads to a lot of exploration of what it means to have powers and whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. Plus there are all kinds of gadgets and other cool things that make fighting villains possible.

It's a really fantastic book and the series is really amazing. Plus it's even better on audio because seriously, MacLeod Andrews is a genius and I love everything he narrates.

Heroine Complex by Sarah Kuhn
Read My Review / Add to Goodreads

I loved this book. It definitely flew under the radat, especially within the blogosphere and I don't really know why. It totally seems like the kind of book that so many people would love. Maybe because it's not YA. But it really does have a lot of crossover appeal.

One of the great things about this book is the characters. They are totally fun and complex characters. The main character has such a fun voice and is super snarky. I loved being in her head throughout the book. But the secondary characters are just as amazing. There are so many different people here. Some of them are kickass and tough, others are fun and silly, but many of them have secrets.

Speaking of secrets, this is a book full of secrets. Some of them were total surprises and others of them I predicted. But either way there are so many amazing reveals adding to a plot full of adventure and action. It's super thrilling is what I'm saying. But it's also lighthearted. There are so many laughs in this book, it's amazing. Seriously guys, the first fight scene is with demonic cupcakes. It's ridiculous in the best possible way.

The thing that makes these books most similar however is the fact that they are about superheroes and unique superheroes. The world here is super fascinating with an incident causing people to get powers and that leads to a lot of exploration of what it means to have powers and whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. Plus there are all kinds of gadgets and other cool things that make fighting villains possible.

It's a really fantastic book and I wish more people would read it. I just saw that they announced a sequel and I'm pretty excited to see what happens next. I'm such a sucker for books about superheroes, especially ones like these which have fun and silliness to them.

Have you read Steelheart and/or Heroine Complex? What did you think? What steampunk novels with crossover appeal do you like? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment