Thursday, October 23, 2014

Book Review: The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater


Title: The Dream Thieves
Series: The Raven Cycle #2
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Published: October 2013 by Scholastic

(Amazon / Goodreads)

Synopsis:  Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same.

Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life.

Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after...

*** This is the second book in a serious and this review may inadvertently contain spoilers for The Raven Boys. Read that first if you haven't! Here's my review to encourage you!***

I was blown away by how much I enjoyed reading The Raven Boys. I mean, I know everyone raves about it but I try to be cautiously skeptical and optimistic at the same time. But The Raven Boys was full of mystery, brilliant characters, and an interesting plot. So after a few weeks I was excited to continue with the story of Blue and the Raven Boys.

I wanted to just dive right back into this world and devour the book whole but Maggie's writing doesn't allow a person to do that. It sounds like a bad thing but really it's not. Maggie's writing is lyrical and poetic. This is not a fast-paced book, it causes you to slow down and take in every word. Her writing is the kind where you feel the power of the words. And while reading The Dream Thieves I was struck with my conflicting desires to fall into the book head first, and my desire to make it last. The latter definitely won out.

But Maggie's writing also brilliantly sets a mood that is atmospheric and interesting. The Dream Thieves didn't really feel as complicated as The Raven Boys but it was still full of mystery and adventure. This one definitely had more of what I would call magic to it. In The Raven Boys we got to explore some of the inherit magic and mystery in the town of Henrietta as well as it's connection to the psychics who are a part of the story. In The Dream Thieves we got all that and more. We were hit with a huge reveal at the end of The Raven Boys, and this book spend the bulk of it's time exploring that magic.

Speaking of that storyline, I was again struck by the plotting in this book. With a lot of series, they tend to just advance the larger plot and forget about the individual plot of each book. Maggie, however, doesn't do that. The Dream Thieves has it's own very specific storyline that has a clear resolution. But it also continues the story that began in The Raven Boys. We get to explore the consequences of the decision made at the end of the last book as we move forward with the grand scheme of things. And yes, the search for Glendower and Blue's curse takes a backseat, it is never forgotten.

As a personal preference however, I rarely enjoy when a book changes perspectives so much. In The Dream Thieves, like The Raven Boys we got to see the book from all different sides. And while it is good to vary the voice and to get inside the head of the characters who are all so complex and interesting, for me that makes things muddled and confusing. I would sometimes forget who was narrating a portion and when we would return to a character I would forget what had happened to them in previous sections. The changing perspectives were made a little easier by the fact that the characters are all so complex and enjoyable however.

Seriously, these characters are fantastic. The relationships that were build in The Raven Boys (and by relationships I mean between the characters and me) were only developed and solidified in The Dream Thieves. Blue and each of the boys: Gansey, Adam, Ronan, and Noah are such different and interesting characters. They made me laugh as well as cry. They each have strengths and weaknesses, they are smart and stupid. And they also all have flaws, none of them are perfect or cliche. They are well-rounded and likable. One of their greatest strengths is their friendship. This is a series about a strong group of friends coming together to achieve their goals. But I was so glad that we got to spend more time learning more about Ronan in this book. He may be my favorite. He's a mystery wrapped in an enigma and I love that he's a tough guy with a heart if gold. The Dream Thieves is without a doubt Ronan's book.

This series is getting better and more enthralling with each passing book. The plot thickens and gets more engaging, the characters get more exciting, and as we explore more of the world it becomes more intriguing and mysterious. When I finished I immediately picked up Blue Lily, Lily Blue. I'm not prepared to let it go!

I give The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater 9 out of 10



Buy/Borrow/Bypass: Buy! This series is a definite buy! Get prepared to fall into the world of mystery and friendship with gorgeous writing and complex and likable characters.

Have you read The Dream Thieves? What did you think? Am I prepared for the feels in Blue Lily, Lily Blue? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. As always thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic review! I'm glad you liked it (and the first book too). Ronan is a fantastic character, I'm happy he plays a bigger role in this book than in TRB.
    This book is on my to-be-read pile; unfortunately I couldn't read the second book immediately after TRB because of school work, so I kind of forgot about it. But now with the hype around BLLB I'm excited again to read this (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I love this series and just read Book #3 and thought it was fantastic! Such a unique series and I completely agree with you re: characters, plot and writing of these series -- just so, so good!!

    ReplyDelete