Monday, April 20, 2015

Book Review: The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker

Title: The Golem and the Jinni
Author: Helene Wecker
Published: April 2013 by Harper
(Amazon / Goodreads)

Synopsis: Chava is a golem, a creature made of clay, brought to life by a disgraced rabbi who dabbles in dark Kabbalistic magic. When her master, the husband who commissioned her, dies at sea on the voyage from Poland, she is unmoored and adrift as the ship arrives in New York in 1899.

Ahmad is a jinni, a being of fire, born in the ancient Syrian desert. Trapped in an old copper flask by a Bedouin wizard centuries ago, he is released accidentally by a tinsmith in a Lower Manhattan shop. Though he is no longer imprisoned, Ahmad is not entirely free – an unbreakable band of iron binds him to the physical world.

The Golem and the Jinni is their magical, unforgettable story; unlikely friends whose tenuous attachment challenges their opposing natures – until the night a terrifying incident drives them back into their separate worlds. But a powerful threat will soon bring Chava and Ahmad together again, challenging their existence and forcing them to make a fateful choice

I'm not entirely sure when I heard about this book but I know as soon as I learned about it I knew I had to read it. It's historical fiction set during one of my favorite periods, no it's a historical fantasy with characters who were created from magic and can preform magic. I had heard some good things from fellow bloggers and I couldn't wait to read it. And was I glad I did. It is one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful books I have read in a long time, an instant favorite.

The Lower East Side of NYC in 1890's - Source
One of the best things about this book was the setting. I've already said that I enjoy historical fiction set during this time period. It's such an interesting period of American history. With the surge of immigrants arrive in the US and the changing politics it is a period of evolution and growth but it was also a period of inequality. And this was a gritty and honest look at that period. In The Golem and the Jinni we don't get a glamorous look at the things, we see things from the perspective of two immigrants in two different communities. Not only is that unique and interesting, but Wecker is able to immerse the reader in this world. You feel the sense of optimism but you also feel the sense confinement with the society of the time. It was a contrast that added to the captivating suspense of the novel. This was accentuated by the magical aspect of the story. It could be said that The Golem and the Jinni is magical realism. The magic was subtle and not the focus of the book. I usually hate that, I want my magic to be the focus of the book if it is going to be apart of the story. But here the subtlety gave the book a really interesting atmosphere. And it also gave the book a sense of danger. Magic in a world where magic is not acceptable, magic in a world where being different is dangerous. It was such a complex setting and world that captured my interest from beginning to end.

But what really hooked me about The Golem and the Jinni was the characters. The main characters were both complex and likable. They are both so different but they had this great narrative symmetry. Chava, the Golem, is a resilient woman who was created to serve a master she doesn't have any more. She's curious and intelligent but it's against her nature to not have a master. She spends a lot of the novel struggling to find companionship. Ahmad, the Jinni, is a complicated man who just wants to create beautiful things and be himself but he is trapped in a human form and tied to a master who imprisoned him for personal use. Throughout most of the novel he is searching for freedom. They both have strength and weaknesses which makes them the kind of characters I love reading about. But better than that, they are both thrust into this world they don't understand and are searching for a connection to their fellow man. You can't help but become invested in their struggle and want to see them succeed in their goals. And that's when you also can't help but enjoy the immigrant communities they become a part of. The Syrian community that embarrasses the Jinni and the Jewish community that embraces the Golem are both full of interesting characters that rounds out the cast here. These are the kind of characters that work their way deep into your heart and then never leave. I was so emotionally connected to them and their struggle that as the book developed I was just as emotionally connected to the book.

But I think my favorite part of this book was Helene Wecker's writing. This book is her debut but it was so well-written that I would have thought it was her tenth book. Not only were her prose beautiful and heartbreaking but the plot development was flawless. This is an incredibly intricate story where all the clues aren't revealed to the very end. It takes place throughout different time periods, different continent, and is narrated by more characters than I can count. It could be quite the complicated story, and to be honest it is a complicated story. But it's complicated in a good way. The pacing is a bit on the slow side but the pay off at the end makes it all worth it. This is the kind of book where things build to a thrilling conclusion. And when it was all finally revealed, I was in complete shock with the twists. I can't remember the last time a plot twist had me this surprised and this emotionally affected. It was a fantastic and enjoyable ride! It's the kind of book that you can't help but think about long after you have finished reading it.

I give The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker 9.5 out of 10


Buy/Borrow/Bypass: BUY! This is an absolutely fantastic read. I really feel like I wasn't able to do the book justice. I'm still emotionally affected by it days later, I loved it that much. If you are a fan of historical fiction or magical realism you must read this book. The characters are interesting and easy to connect with, the setting is complex and captivating, and the plot is intricate and full of surprising. It's a seriously beautiful book.

Have you read The Golem and the Jinni? What did you think? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

12 comments:

  1. Wow sounds like a great read. I added this to my Goodreads! I'm so reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great read! I'm so glad I could bring it to your attention. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I don't know, I think you did a great job with this review - it really does sound amazing! I don't think I've ever had any particular inclination to read this book until now, actually. The gritty realism of the setting sounds like it would rival The Curse of the Wendigo (book 2 of The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey). Rick Yancey also did a remarkable job at describing the awful poverty and tenement building residents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aylee! You're so sweet. That is what a blogger wants to hear, their review made you read a book you didn't know you needed in your life. And yes, you do need this book in your life. I've heard good things about The Monstormologist series. If it's anything like this book I may need to pick it up.

      Delete
  3. I loved this book too! I've actually featured it on a list or two... I listened to the audiobook quite awhile ago and I actually had to process it for awhile to decide how I felt about it. But yes, I loved it! The characters were amazing! And her writing was totally not what I'm used to. Fantastic review!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing it on a few of your lists. I've heard the audiobook is really good. Almost wish I had listened to it. But hey, there's always rereads.

      Delete
  4. Ugh this sounds AMAZING. I've been wondering about this one and I'm so glad you loved it. Now I want to read it. ASAP lol.

    Jessica @ Ramblings on Readings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was AMAZING! I hope you get to check it out soon and love it just as much.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed this. I agree with everything you said! Here's my review if you are interested...
    http://annettesbookspot.blogspot.com/2014/02/book-review-golem-and-jinni-by-helene.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annette, I checked out your review, thanks for leaving it for me. I love reading other bloggers' thoughts after I finish a book.

      Delete
  6. Ohhhhhh yes yes yes!! I'm so glad to see you enjoyed this book!! I love that time period too. I actually love all history but the turn of the century and world war 2 tend to be my favs. I bought this so long ago but now will try to wiggle it up my TBR. Great review!
    ❤️Britt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! When I finished reading it I was like, you know who needs to read this, Britt. Obviously you already have. Turn of the Century is my favorite too and WWI/Edwardian Era. I don't always love WWII, they usually seem very similar to me but I read a few really good ones this month.

      Delete