Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday: When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore

A weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine

Title: When the Moon Was Ours
Author: Anna-Marie McLemore
Published: October 4, 2016 by Thomas Dunne/St. Martin's Press (Macmillan)

Synopsis: When the Moon Was Ours follows two characters through a story that has multicultural elements and magical realism, but also has central LGBT themes—a transgender boy, the best friend he’s falling in love with, and both of them deciding how they want to define themselves.

To everyone who knows them, best friends Miel and Sam are as strange as they are inseparable. Roses grow out of Miel’s wrist, and rumors say that she spilled out of a water tower when she was five. Sam is known for the moons he paints and hangs in the trees, and for how little anyone knows about his life before he and his mother moved to town.

But as odd as everyone considers Miel and Sam, even they stay away from the Bonner girls, four beautiful sisters rumored to be witches. Now they want the roses that grow from Miel’s skin, convinced that their scent can make anyone fall in love. And they’re willing to use every secret Miel has fought to protect to make sure she gives them up.

Why I'm Waiting 

I loved The Weight of Feathers, Anna-Marie's debut, when I read it last year. So naturally I would have already been excited about a second book from her. But then I learned more about this one and I'm even more excited. For one thing, I have really been loving magical realism lately and The Weight of Feathers is one of the first books within that subgenre that made me want to read more. Plus I am really intrigued by the magical elements here, witch books have also been working for me lately and so that aspect of the story has me interested. Plus the romance, I want to read more LGBT romances and so this is a good book for that as well.

So naturally this book is a highly anticipated release for the fall. I was lucky enough to get a copy of the book from the publisher (thanks St. Martins!) and I am so excited to read it. I even decided to craft my monthly theme around this book. SO in September I will be doing a magical realism theme and reading this book.


What about you? What are you waiting for this Wednesday? Are you waiting on When the Moon Was Ours along with me? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

3 comments:

  1. How have I not heard of this yet?! Thanks for sharing, it sounds great!

    my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a totally new to me one! Not sure if it's my kind of read but hope you absolutely love it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't yet read her first book but I really want to and I'm quite excited about this one too!!

    ReplyDelete