Monday, November 28, 2016

Book Review: A Million Worlds With You by Claudia Gray

Title: A Million Worlds With You
Series: Firebird #3
Written by: Claudia Gray
Published: November 1, 2016 by HarperTeen
(Amazon / Goodreads)

Synopsis: A million universes. A million dangers. One destiny. 

The fate of the multiverse rests in Marguerite Caine’s hands. Marguerite has been at the center of a cross-dimensional feud since she first traveled to another universe using her parents’ invention, the Firebird. Only now has she learned the true plans of the evil Triad Corporation—and that those plans could spell doom for dozens or hundreds of universes, each facing total annihilation. 

Paul Markov has always been at Marguerite’s side, but Triad’s last attack has left him a changed man—angry and shadowed by tragedy. He struggles to overcome the damage done to him, but despite Marguerite’s efforts to help, Paul may never be the same again. 

So it’s up to Marguerite alone to stop the destruction of the multiverse. Billions of lives are at stake. The risks have never been higher. And Triad has unleashed its ultimate weapon: another dimension’s Marguerite—wicked, psychologically twisted, and always one step ahead. 

In the epic conclusion to Claudia Gray’s Firebird trilogy, fate and family will be questioned, loves will be won and lost, and the multiverse will be forever changed. It’s a battle of the Marguerites . . . and only one can win.

I was really looking forward to the final book in this series. I was absolutely impressed with the world-building and plot development of this science fiction series. I liked the first book but loved the second and the way it was going. I couldn't wait to find out how it was all going to end especially with the cliffhanger at the end of book two. And while I did enjoy it, it didn't quite satisfy my hopes for the last book in a series.

One thing that I did love in this book was the world. Dimensional travel is something that I have read a fair amount and I definitely think this series does that well. It is the perfect balance between the science elements of the multiverse and the fictional elements of body snatching and traveling across the dimensions. I don't like when books focus more on one element and with this series it does a great job of explaining why and how with the science and not getting bogged down in it. In addition it was really cool exploring all the different worlds. Here we were able to not only go back to some from previous books but also explore even more worlds. They are all so different and yet so similar which makes things very interesting. There was even a really interesting twist with the dimensions that caught me off guard and I really loved. The setting and world of this series is the best part.

The other thing I really liked about this book was the characters. In the three books I have grown attached to each and every one of them. And the interesting thing is while there are really only a handful of characters because they go to different dimensions we get to see them a host of different ways. It was kind of an interesting character study to see how a world and can change a person and not change them at the same time. That element of this series was absolutely fascinating.

I will say, in terms of character development, I wanted a little more. Most of the focus of this book is on Marguerite, one particular version of Marguerite. We spend so much time with her and her struggle to save the people she loves and the universes. But I didn't quite feel the reasoning behind all of it. Some of it made total sense and at other times it just seemed like she was doing it for no particular reasons. This was particularly true towards the end while it was all wrapping up/ Things just changed so quickly I didn't get the sense of why. But I think the character development that most disappointed me was with "Wicked" or who I refer to as "Darkest Timeline Marguerite." I thought she was going to be a much bigger part of this book. And after a few brief chapters in the beginning she just became this indirect force and that made her not as ominous a villain as I was hoping. I think a lot of that comes down to personal preference but I wanted to see more of her villainy. It would have helped ground some of the actions she took.

But I also think some of my criticism of the character development is also reflected in my feelings on the plot development. It was good but in the end it just felt kind of sudden. I thought I had an idea of where this book was going, how it would end but then there came a point where I think all of that ran away from me, from the characters really. When you're dealing with the multiverses and trying to stop someone who is trying to destroy whole dimensions there is naturally going to be a big question of how. At certain points it seemed in impossible, the multiverse is endless after all, And just when I thought they couldn't possible find a solution, they did. And all that was good, it made sense, there were elements from earlier in the book to back it up and then suddenly that plan had to change too. The ending just didn't feel satisfying because it was both sudden and didn't have much resolution. For being the final book in a series I was hoping for more closure and full-circle moments. I didn't get that.

But on the whole, I did enjoy this book it just didn't blow me away like I was hoping. It had a fascinating world, great characters, and an interesting setting but there wasn't enough character development and the conclusion felt a little sudden for me.

I give A Million Worlds With You by Claudia Gray 8 out of 10 stars


Buy/Borrow/Bypass: Borrow/Buy. If you enjoyed the first two books in the series definitely pick this one up. And despite the fact that the last book in the series is my least favorite, fans of YA science fiction who haven't read this series should pick it up. If you are looking for a story that does a good job with multiverses, check this out.

Have you read A Million Worlds With You? What did you think? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment