Friday, March 21, 2014

Book Review: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell


Title: Attachments
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Published: Penguin Group, 2011

Synopsis:"Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . "

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.

When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.

By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

What would he say . . . ?

*I won a copy of this book as a part of Goodreads First Reads program and received a copy from the publisher via Netgalley in return for an honest review. My opinion has not been swayed by this fact*

You know when you finish a book and you loved it so much that there are no words that will appropriately describe your love of that book? That is Attachments for me.  I am just completely and inexplicitly in love with this book. 

The first reason why I loved this book is Rainbow Rowell's writing style. Every book I read by her is better than the previous book. She is a phenomenal writer of Contemporary novels and has this brilliant way of balancing romance, humor, and heavy concepts like loss and identity. There are definitely some heavy and emotional plot points in Attachments, but I never sunk into a deep depression. The book was full of humor and laugh out loud moments that released any tension before it began. This book to me illustrates that there is so much crossover between Adult and YA books and why I started a feature to recommend similar books. Attachments is an adult book and may not be suitable for some younger teens but to me it reads just like Rowell's YA books Fangirl and Eleanor & Park. The characters are in their late twenties but they are dealing with similar issues as the teens. They are trying to find their identity and a place where they belong. They are faced with adversity such as difficult breakups, family drama, and loss of innocence. It's an adult coming-of-age story and as a person in their late twenties still dealing with a lot of these same issues I felt very connected to the story.

 
But besides being able to write a brilliant story, what Rainbow Rowell does so well is write amazing and relatable characters. Our main character is arguably Lincoln, an IT Security officer at a newspaper whose job it is to read emails flagged as inappropriate and send them warnings. He's having a bit of a quarter-life crisis. He's living at home with his mom, single, and hating his job. I can so relate to Lincoln and his feelings of stagnancy and displeasure with the way your life has ended up. In addition to feel like we are similar I also felt the swoony vibes for Lincoln. He is the kind of guy that I would be attracted to in real life. Then there were Jennifer and Beth, two best friends and colleagues. Their interactions are completely fabulous and hilarious. The way they talk with one another is so much like how I talk to my best friends that I couldn't help but connect with them on a personal level. I wanted to be their friend. I wanted to go to brunch with them and talk about babies, and boyfriends, and bridesmaids dresses. So many of their conversations were conversations that I have had with my friends. At one point I took a picture of the book and sent it to my best friend to inform her "this book is basically about us." But those are the characters that Rainbow Rowell writes. They are so realistic and relatable that you can't help but love them.


What I found truly unique about this book and the story was the way that it was written. We are introduced to Beth and Jennifer through their emails and that is really our only interaction with the two characters. We learn about them and their story through this series of emails that they are writing back and forth and despite the fact that we get such a superficial look at them and their lives you can help but feel connected with them and their struggles. These chapters alternate between Lincoln's story as he tries to figure out what he wants to do with his life and we are kind of seeing Jennifer and Beth through his eyes and as he feels connected with them, so do we as the reader. It's such an interesting and unique way to tell a story. As the book goes on and their stories intertwine the plot and romance gets more exciting. Everything built to a satisfying conclusion and when the book was all said and done I was feeling the warm fuzzies. 

This book solidified my love and devotion for the fabulous Rainbow Rowell and everything she writes. I want to have brunch with her so that I can breathe the same air as her and so that we can become best friends and have email chains just like Jennifer and Beth. I feel like I am not adequately describing my love of Rainbow Rowell and this book. I can say one thing for sure, this is my favorite book of the year and made its way onto my list of favorite books. It's that fantastic.

I give Attachments a 10 out of 10



I would recommend this book looking for a really good contemporary novel. If you liked Eleanor & Park or Fangirl then check out Attachments. If you've read it leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and of course... HAPPY READING!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book too. It was just adorable. This book could have been really creepy with him reading the emails and all, but Rowell makes it adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this one too! So, so good. Loved it. Loved Lincoln and Beth and Jennifer. And everyone else. My only minor reservation was how it ended. *minor spoiler* I would have preferred that it end with them meeting face-to-face for the first time, and then letting the reader imagine the rest. The ending is good (it's Rainbow Rowell, of course it's good) but I just would have preferred something a little more open-ended. Still, that's a super small thing and more a matter of preference. So glad you liked the book too!

    ReplyDelete