Saturday, March 1, 2014

February Wrap Up: Anti-Love

February has come to a close and it was a very interesting reading month for me. I learned a lot about the relationship between reading and blogging. I had my faith in love shattered, then I had it restored. I didn't expect to finish all the books I had planned but I surprised myself and read a few extras. When the dust settled I finished a total of nine books including one series and two standalones for my challenges. I also took part in the Book Blogger Love-a-Thon and met some great new blogger and deepened relationships with some others.

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
The Lunar Chronicles Book 1
Rating: 8.5 out of 10
Full Review

My Thoughts: An exciting and really creative Sci Fi take on the Cinderella fairy tale. The characters are interesting, the world is exciting, the plot was thrilling and mysterious. It did suffer from a bit of First Book Syndrome but it was still a great read.


Three Princes by Ramona Wheeler
Rating: 5 out of 10
Full Review

My Thoughts: This was such an exciting concept and the writing was beautiful and poetic, but I couldn't connect with the characters and there was almost no plot. A book cannot be enjoyed on world-building alone. I should have DNFed this book and read something I enjoyed but I was stubborn. Never again!




Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
The Lunar Chronicles Book 2
Rating: 9 out of 10
Full Review

My Thoughts: Even better than the first book. There was more action and excitement, more humor and romance, more witty play on classic fairy tale tropes, and more SciFi world-building. This book made me fall in love with this series!




The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
Rating: 8 out of 10
Full Review

My Thoughts: This book destroyed my view of romance and made all those classic novels I love seem like a superficial joke! I mean this in the best possible way. This book was definitely anti-love and was incredibly enjoyable with interesting characters, beautiful writing, and a unique style.



A Mad, Wicked Folly by Sharon Biggs Waller
Rating: 8.5 out of 10
Full Review

My Thoughts: This was a great piece of historical fiction that takes you into the Edwardian Era and the suffrage movement in England. It had a Titanic vibe and I loved the characters and the relationships. This book restored my faith in romance (that didn't last long!).





The Chase by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg
Rating: 8 out of 10 
Full Review

My Thoughts: A quick and fun beach read with interesting characters and tons of action. It had just enough humor and romance to keep me interested. I was expecting a little more mystery but the heist plot was fantastic!




Tsarina by J. Nelle Patrick
Rating: 8 out of 10
Full Review

My Thoughts:  A good historical fantasy that focused more on the historic aspect of the story than the fantasy. I enjoyed the characters and a world of grey where everyone wanted power and felt like they knew what is best for the country. The plot and pacing was great as the book built to a thrilling conclusion.




This is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz
Rating 7 out of 10
Full Review

My Thoughts: An interesting collection of short stories about failed love. The main character is not very likeable but as the book goes on and you learn more why Yunior is the way he is you begin to sympathize with him. I loved that the audiobook narrated by the author.



Cress by Marissa Meyer
The Lunar Chronicles Book 3
Rating: 9 out of 10
Full Review to Come

My Thoughts: This series keeps getting better and better. More exciting action, more fun and unique characters, more romance, and more creative science fiction twist on classic fairy tales. This is my favorite book in the series yet!


What did you read this month? Leave me a comment and don't forget to check out the full reviews of these books for more of my thoughts and information. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

3 comments:

  1. I just read Cinder and Scarlet too! I am reading Cress now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Yeah, I'm going to post my review later this week but the series keeps getting better. I can't wait for Winter (the book not the season).

      Delete
  2. I read Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress recently, too.
    You're right, they just get better and better. =)

    ReplyDelete