Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Related Problems

A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

1.) I Read A Lot But I Don't Read Fast
I have always wished I could read faster. I'm jealous of people who can read a book in a day. I have only done that a few times in my entire life. There are just so many books and so little time and that time is made even shorter because I read so slow.

2.) I Do Not Have Enough Shelf Space For All My Books
Before I moved I had one small bookshelf and that was all I needed. Then I moved and needed a new shelf so I bought a six-foot one and was surprised how easy it was to fill it. But recently it became too full and I had to buy a new shelf. There will never be enough space for books because...

3.) I Can't Stop Buying Books, Especially If There's A Sale!
I want to buy all the books! If I see a book sale online, get a coupon, or see a reduced price for a book on my list  I can't help but buy it. Since I got my Kindle at Christmas this has become even worse. How can someone not buy a $2 e-book! I'm trying so hard to change this (my book buying ban).

4.) I Have Almost No Social Life
This one is a little bit like the chicken or the egg, which came first. I'm generally an introverted and anti-social person who would rather stay home and read but sometimes when I get invited places I make up an excuse because I want to stay home and read. But when I do agree to go out...

5.) I'm Late For Everything
I used to be notoriously early, I was that girl! But then as I started blogging and reading consumed my life. Now I am late to everything. I can't count how many times I meet up with people only to apologize with the phrase "sorry, I was reading." I even have some friends who know this going to happen and don't even ask why I'm late anymore.

6.) Trying to Find the Perfect Book for A Person
When people know you read a lot they always want you to recommend a book for them. This is even harder for friends and family. My best friend is a big John Green fan so I recommended Rainbow Rowell to her and I was so nervous to hear what she thought (she loved her obviously).

7.) I Get Judged For Reading Fiction
Yes, fiction! This is particularly problematic at work. I work in a small office and most of my coworkers already think I "read too much" but most of them read non-fiction. So I get shunned for reading "made up stories." I don't even want to tell them that half of what I read is YA!

8.) I Cannot Stop Making References to Books in Every Day Life
There is so many times when I want to make references to books. Over time I've realized people look at you like you're crazy when you do that. Try calling the know-it-all in your life "Hermione Granger" and using the phrase "oh my sweet summer child" around normal people and see what happens.

9.) Putting A Book Down to Eat, and Shower, and Sleep, and Go to Work
I'm really good at multi-taking but there are just some things that are hard to do while reading. Like sleep. I mean sometimes I consider listening to an audiobook while I sleep and experiencing it through my subconscious! But in general I procrastinate most thing because I'm too busy reading.

10.) Reacting to Books In Public

I am the kind of person who wears my heart on my sleeve, or rather face. I'm also the kind of person who is always reading, especially on public transportation. I remember reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on a train and looking like a total weirdo when I burst out laughing. I also remember reading The Heart is a Lonely Hunter on a bus and trying (and failing) not to burst into tears. The struggle is real!

What about you? What are your top ten bookish problems? DO we have any in common? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

7 comments:

  1. You get judged for reading fiction?? Argh! What a pain. My biggest book issue at work was that people kept recommending things to me that I *really* didn't want to read, like Killing Jesus by Bob O'Reilly (YEAH. FREAKING. RIGHT.) and some book by whoever wrote Seabiscuit. Nope, no thanks. But I can't say to my coworkers that their books sound dumb and boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can also be considered antisocial lol! Most of the time I just want to stay home and read. I just want people to leave me alone haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I want to adopt your whole list, especially the late for everything and not a fast reader. I see people with like 30 books and im like WTF?!?! That is like a book a day how the hell do you work or eat or sleep?!?!?! im home all day and i cant manage that!
    <3 Britt

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I want to adopt your whole list, especially the late for everything and not a fast reader. I see people with like 30 books and im like WTF?!?! That is like a book a day how the hell do you work or eat or sleep?!?!?! im home all day and i cant manage that!
    <3 Britt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading in public is so dangerous. I express myself a lot out loud while reading. Sometimes I cry, sometimes I yell, sometimes I laugh, but I have to bottle that all up when I'm reading around people (it's so very hard!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh. There are books I've had to close and put away in public due to your #10. Unfortunately it hardly ever helps because I usually still have late-reactions hours later. :P

    http://www.readingbifrost.com/top-ten-tuesday-book-related-problems-i-have/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list. I feel there is a lot of judgment for people who read YA. I read a lot of it, but there are some true masterpieces in YA. And why should I feel guilty anyway? :)

    ReplyDelete