Friday, May 1, 2015

April Wrap Up and May TBR

April Wrap Up

April was a good reading month for me. It marked the second month in a row that I read at least a dozen books including some that I absolutely loved. I had two 10 star reviews this month including a backlist book I have been procrastination and a debut (that's my third 10 star debut).

I'm also killing my challenges. I'm ahead of schedule for my Goodread Challenge of 120 books, having read a total of 44 books so fat this year. As for my other challenges I've read 13 books for Netgally/Edelweiss Challenge (3 this month), 8 books for the Debut Author Challenge (3 this month), and 9 books for the TBR Pile Challenge (3 this month). I'm on track for all three but I may need to read more of my TBR shelf. 

Books Read in April: Historical Fiction

1.) At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [My Review]
2.) The World Before Us by Aislin Hunter Rating: 7 out of 10 [My Review]
3.) The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak Rating: 10 out of 10 [My Review]
4.) The Revelation of Louisa May by Michaela McColl 
Rating: 8 out of 10 [My Review]
5.) The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 
Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [My Review]
6.) The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker 
Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
7.) Skandal by Lindsay Smith Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [My Review]
8.) Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli 
Rating: 10 out of 10 [My Review]
9.) The Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey Rating: 8 out of 10 [My Review]
10.) Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
11.) All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr 
Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
12.) The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy by Sam Maggs Rating: 8 out of 10 [Review to Come]

Other Posts:

To Be Read in May: Adventure/Survival
I can't believe it's already May! Although I am excited. May is always my favorite month. It has perfect weather, my birthday, and at the end of it BEA where I can see all your lovely faces (stay tuned for birthday and BEA related posts!) Plus so many amazing books come out this month.

So May was supposed to be my freebie month. I usual have a non-theme every six months so I can read some of the books I have been putting off because they don't fit in with the theme. But I looked at my books and I realized they actually do have a theme so I'm running with it. I 'm also a glutton for punishment so after reading a ton of emotional reads in April I am now reading a ton of  suspenseful and action-packed reads. So I'm sure there would be tons feels this month too.

ARCS


The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest by Melanie Dickerson - Add to Goodreads
Described as "Swan Lake meets Robin Hood" with mention of a "dangerous poaching ring" has me intrigued. It sounds like it has a strong female protagonist and some romance

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh - Add to Goodreads
I've heard great things about this debut which is a retelling of A Thousand and One Nights where a prince takes a new bride every night and she's dead by dawn. The MC has a clever plan to survive. 

Uprooted by Naomi Novik - Add to Goodreads
This is a fantasy where a malevolent wizard known as "the Dragon" takes a young girl as his assistant. Friends who have similar taste in fantasy have loved this one.

Hold Me Like A Breath by Tiffany Schmidt - Add to Goodreads
Fairy Tales meet Organized Crime. Yes, please. I'm really intrigued by this story of a girl who has a disease that makes her vulnerable to touch and her family sells organs on the black market.

New Releases


An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir - Add to Goodreads
I'm basically done with this book which came out of Tuesday. It's brutal and action-packed. I'm listening to the audio which is fantastic. I'm so glad I saw Brittany and Katie recommending it on Twitter.

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas - Add to Goodreads
I need this book in my life. Seriously everyone is loving it and it's Sarah J. Maas so clearly it's brilliant and there will probably be a badass lady.

NIL Unlocked by Lynne Matson - Add to Goodreads
I loved NIL and the story of surviving and getting off a creepy island a year before you mysteriously arrive. This is probably the most survivally book on the list.

A Series to Marathon


Legend, Prodigy, and Champion by Marie Lu - Add to Goodreads
I loved my first Marie Lu book, The Young Elites, and found it brutal and fascinating. I'm guessing this is a little less brutal but it's dystopia so there will be a survival angle and I've heard good things.

Classic


Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen - Add to Goodreads
So this doesn't really fit the theme but I want to read more Jane Austen and this has been referred to as her "Gthic parody." I love Gothic fiction so I'm excited to see Austen's take even if it is a parody.

That is my plan for May. Don't forget to stop back for all the reviews. Are you reading any of these books? Have you read any of them? What did you think? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

9 comments:

  1. THESE ARE AMAZING BOOKS!!
    I'm currently reading Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda and it's a great sign that you liked it :)
    I'm also very happy you liked The Book Thief because it's my favorite book of ALL time!!

    Sooo excited because of the fact that you'll be reading A Wrath and the Dawn along with An Ember in the Ashes this month, I cannot wait for your reviews :)♥ They're definitely high on my TBR

    Also, The Golem and the Jinni! I need to pick up that book soon :) It sounds sooo good and you loved it so.. even greater incentive

    Have a great reading month♥

    - Jumana @ http://booksbyj.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you loved Simon as much as I did. Yes, The Book Thief was amazing. Seriously I have not met a person who didn't love that book. And, yes, definitely check out The Golem and the Jinni. It's amazing!

      Thanks for stopping by Jumana!

      Delete
  2. I want to read All The Light I Cannot See soon. It sounds like a fantastic book. I read just 2 books this April. Your number is inspiring.

    Harini @ http://harini.me/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harini. I'm still blown away by how much I was able to read. And All the Light We Cannot See was a fantastic read. It actually reminded me a lot of The Book Thief. Maybe because I had just read it, but they both also take place in Europe during WWII. I hope you check it out and enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Dude. I'm in awe about how you're still functioning after reading The Book Thief, The Golem and the Jinni, and All the Light We Cannot See in the same month. I can't wait for you to read Uprooted! It's amazing! I'm so looking forward to reading ACOTAR and An Ember in the Ashes this month too! I might have to check out Ember's audiobook since you're liking it so much. Good luck with your TBR this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie, I told you, I'm really good at compartmentalizing my book feels. It's what I do. I'm excited for Uprooted. You and Nikki both loved it so I have high hopes. Oh and I hope you like the Ember audio. I liked it a lot.

      Delete
  4. Wow, so many great titles!! The Book Thief of course, and glad to see you liked At the Water's Edge. I've been wanting to read that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the Water's Edge was really good. I haven't read any of the author's other books so I didn't know what I was getting into but I liked the style a lot. You should check it out Jillian!

      Delete
    2. At the Water's Edge was really good. I haven't read any of the author's other books so I didn't know what I was getting into but I liked the style a lot. You should check it out Jillian!

      Delete