Monday, September 12, 2016

Book Review: Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas

**** This is the fifth, or well sixth, book in a series so if you have not read Throne of Glass and are not caught up on the series, proceed with caution. ALSO READ THRONE OF GLASS!!! [My Review] ****

Title: Empire of Storms
Series: Throne of Glass #5
Written by: Sarah J. Maas
Published: September 6, 2016 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens 
(Amazon / Goodreads)

Synopsis:The long path to the throne has only just begun for Aelin Galathynius. Loyalties have been broken and bought, friends have been lost and gained, and those who possess magic find themselves at odds with those don't.

As the kingdoms of Erilea fracture around her, enemies must become allies if Aelin is to keep those she loves from falling to the dark forces poised to claim her world. With war looming on all horizons, the only chance for salvation lies in a desperate quest that may mark the end of everything Aelin holds dear.

Aelin's journey from assassin to queen has entranced millions across the globe, and this fifth installment will leave fans breathless. Will Aelin succeed in keeping her world from splintering, or will it all come crashing down?

You know what the most impossible books to review are, Throne of Glass books. Every time I finish one I am either so emotionally distraught and/or so enthralled by what happened that I can't talk about the book without spoilers or expletives or weeping. But let's try, shall we?

First things first I just absolutely love the characters here. They are so interesting and complex. I've spent 3-6 books becoming emotionally invested in them and their struggles and at this point I am just so attached to them. I've always loved Aelin for the fact that contradictory nature of her character. She's this badass assassin but is also feminine and vulnerable. Here we get to see her incredibly vulnerable and also incredibly kickass. She's had some really great development throughout the series and it continued here as we learn more about her and see her in new and challenging situations.

But that's just the tip of the iceberg. This is a series with an incredible cast of characters. This is a book with so many different perspectives and points of view, which is honestly my only criticism because it tends to get confusing and muddy at times. But it does also add to the suspense and make for a really well-rounded story. It also helps you connect with the characters because you can be in their head. My favorites are of course still Dorian, Manon, Aedion, and Lysandra. All three of them got these amazingly badass moments where they could show their toughness but also their complexities with softer and more sensitive moments. That is what Sarah J. Maas does so well, create likable characters that seem so real in that their complex and compelling.

The other thing that Sarah does so well is plot. Oh man, is this a fantastic plot-driven books. From the word go it takes you on a thrilling ride that does not let up. It's action scene after action scene that build to a conclusion that will have you turning pages as fast as you possibly can (and then rereading those pages because holy crap that reveal was out of control and needs to be understood better). The series has been changing and evolving over time and we have now officially reached the epic fantasy, end of the world chosen one type of story. I didn't think that this series could get more epic and intense but it did.

But Empire of Storms is also so intricately plotted. This has always been a series where I marveled at how little things make a big difference in the big twists and reveals. As the series goes on those reveals are bigger and things from so many previous books come together to create something larger and more significant. This is a book that had me thinking "it's all connected," and you guys "IT'S ALL CONNECTED." There were so many crazy twists and reveals here that had me shocked, reeling, and incredibly entertained. I spent most of the book trying to craft crazy theories about what would happen next and why something is happening, which honestly is one of my favorite things and something I love about this series.

And finally, let's talk about the world of this book. We get to see so many different places in Erilea this time around. I'm usually not a fan of the travel monologue concept but here it worked. It felt purposeful and important to the larger plot. Plus I enjoyed seeing places only just mentioned in previous books as well as return to places that haven't been seen since The Assassin's Blade. Not to mention the political intrigue here and the larger lore and religion of this book. The history and lore of the world came into the story in a big way here and it was great learning about that. Not to mention the magic. There were so many great moments of magic here. I loved seeing all the magic-wielders in action but especially Lysandra, oh she has some great moments where she uses her magic. But seriously, I love the fantasy world here and I can't wait to learn more because I HAVE THEORIES!

All in all this was an absolutely amazing read. It was full of action, adventure, and emotional trauma. There are so many surprises and twists in this book that will have you reeling and distraught so get ready. But it is also an intricately plotted book with great characters. I loved it and can't wait for more. I NEED THE FINAL BOOK.... STAT!

I give Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas 9.5 out of 10 stars


Buy/Borrow/Bypass: BUY! Fans of the series should absolutely get the next book in the series. And get ready for the amazingness and the emotional trauma. ALSO, talk to me about stuff when you read it and I will flail about ships and theories. And if you have not read this series it is honestly a must read for fantasy fans. It's seriously SO GOOD!

Have you read Empire of Storms? What did you think? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

6 comments:

  1. there is a next book *cries* I was hoping that it will end >.< I like Aelin but she should be Queen by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next one is the last one. I know it's dragging it's feet on some of this stuff but I kind of dig that. Aelin is acting very queenly but I don't think we would really enjoy her sitting in a castle ruling. She's much better when the going gets rough. Hope you read it and enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, the next boooook, I NEEEED IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!
    And yeah, the amount of emotional distress this book put me through... *whimpers*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *weeps with you for days* I am pining so hard for the last book. Even though I know it will be even more emotionally distressing!

      Delete
  3. I LOVED Empire of Storms! I want to write a review, but I don't know how to put my feelings into words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I didn't think I would be able to either but then the word vomit happened. I'm kind of proud of myself for how coherent this turned out. I'm sure your review will be fantastic too.

      Delete