Thursday, September 1, 2016

August Wrap Up and September TBR

Read in August: ARC August

It has been a very interesting month for reading. I have not had this sporadic month in awhile. And by this I mean that not only did read in huge burst and then almost nothing, but I also had some books that I loved and some I really did not enjoy. I was kind of all over the place. It's been a slower summer for reading and this was just under my average. When it was all said and done, I read 11 new books this month and one reread. But I did meet my goal for ARC August which is exciting. I wanted to read 10 ARCs and I did just that. So I am definitely calling that a win.

For challenges, I'm still doing well. I'm posting this a little early but by the time the month is over I will have read 112 books this year towards my Goodreads goal of reading 150 books. I'm way ahead of my goal which is still exciting. I'm still hoping I can do it without rereads but we'll see when it gets closer. I only read 1 debut this month but I am also way ahead of my goal for the Debut Author Challenge of reading 25 debuts. That brings my total to 23 for the year so that challenge will be done by next month. I'm also ahead for the Netgalley/Edelweiss Challenge having read 4 books for that challenge reaching a total of 34 towards my goal of 50 for the year. And I'm also on track for the Rock My TBR Challenge. I read 2 books for that this month getting a total of 18 towards my goal of 25 for the year. And finally, the Audiobook Challenge. I listened to 3 audiobooks this month, giving me a total of 29 for the year which is behind my goal of 50 or more for the year but I think if I push myself I can still finish that one. I am still killing these challenges, which is great because I am so competitive.

The Books
1.) Nevernight by Jay Kristoff Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
2.) Ghostly Echoes by William Ritter Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
3.) The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill
Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [My Review]
4.) Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
5.) Thieving Weasels by Billy Taylor Rating: 7 out of 10 [My Review]
6.) And the Trees Crept In by Dawn Kurtagich
 Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [My Review]
7.) Salt and Storm by Kendal Kulper Rating: 7.5 out of 10 [My Review]
8.) The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
9.) Lucy and Linh by Alice Pung Rating: 8 out of 10 [My Review]
10.) Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco
 Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
11.) Snow White: A Graphic Novel by Matt Phelan Rating: 7.5 out of 10 stars
12.) Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova Rating: 8 out of 10 [Review to Come]

Rereads [Reviews to Come]:
12.) Heir of Fire and Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas

Other Posts

To Be Read in August: ARC August

Oh wow, it's almost fall. I'm not  ready. Where has this year gone? But seriously I'm a big fan of fall. And not because of all that pumpkin spice nonsense, get that crap out of here. Fall is so commercial. No, I am a fan of fall because all the amazing books seem to come out in September and October. And there are some absolutely amazing one coming out this month. Some that I have been looking forward to for a year now.

So this month I am also going back to my theme months which lately I have not been very good with. Anyway, September's theme is Magical Realism. I am so excited for this theme. Magical Realism is a subgenre of fantasy that I have been really enjoying lately so I am excited to explore the genre a little bit more. Plus there are some very exciting books I got at BEA that fit that theme which is amazing!

Books for Review


The Graces by Laure Eve Add to Goodreads
I've also been really liking books about witches lately and this is one seems like a fun combination of the two. I've heard pretty good things and it sounds good.

Kingdom of Ash and Briars by Hannah West - Add to Goodreads
I have heard nothing but great things about this book. I was planning to read it last month but didn't. So thanks to Rachael for telling me about it at BEA. I'm hoping to be able to read it this month.

A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess- Add to Goodreads
I also picked up a copy of this at BEA and got it from Netgalley. It sounds like a really great historical fantasy. You had me at "alternative Victorian London."

Vassa in the Night by Sarah Porter - Add to Goodreads
This one sounds totally fantastic. Urban fantasy, magical realism, and Russian folklore. Yup, can't wait. I was excited to get a copy of this BEA and I'm so excited to read it.

   
Metaltown by Kristen Simmons Add to Goodreads
Wow, I actually can't remember the last time I read a steampunk novel which means I'm about due. But the cool thing about this one is that it's not historical. I'm excited.

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake - Add to Goodreads
Confession time: I have never read any Kendare Blake. But I want to and I'm really excited for this one to be my first book from her because it sounds amazing.

Warp by Lev Grossman- Add to Goodreads
I really loved The Magicians so when I heard that they were reissuing Grossman's first book which has the prototype for Quentin, I jumped right on that.

When the Moon was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore - Add to Goodreads
I loved McLemore's debut and so I was super excited to get a copy of her second book from the publisher. I can't wait to read it. In fact I revolved my month around it.

New Releases


Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas Add to Goodreads
I have been so excited about this book for a year. I loved Queen of Shadows and where this series is going. I missed the spoilers and freak out last weekend so I'm pumped to find out what happens next.

And I Descended by Robin Talley - Add to Goodreads
I read my first Robin Talley book pretty recently and I loved it so I want to read more. Plus this one is a Gothic Shakespearean retelling so obviously I am on board.

The Swan Riders by Erin Bow - Add to Goodreads
The Scorpion Rules was one of my favorite books of last year because it was kind of a surprise. I have been waiting a year to find out what happens next to Greta, especially because *spoiler redacted*

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo - Add to Goodreads
The way Six of Crows ended, oh geez, I have been needing this book for a year. I'm so nervous about how it will go and end. I know Leigh is going to write an amazing book that will wreck, WRECK, me.

Rereads


The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow - My Review
As previously stated, I loved this book. It was definitely unexpected with the way that it played with the tropes. I'm excited to fresh my memory and listen to this audiobook.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo - My Review
Oh man, I'm not ready for the pain of Crooked Kingdom but until then I am really curious about this audiobook. It has multiple narrators which is cool.

There you have it. All the Magical Realism books I hope to read in September. We'll see. As always, these are subject to change. I may read all of these or I may only read a few and then read a bunch of different one. But honestly I think this list I can stick to. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on meeting your ARC August goal. Good luck with your September reading/challenges!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dying for Crooked Kingdom and Empire of Storms! Quite excited for the Six of Crows audibook myself too, if my phone app ever decides to show it there! Otherwise I'll have to listen to it in my tablet app!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Ghostly Echoes too and it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome month for you! You did amazing with your reading and reviews ♥

    My August Recap!

    ReplyDelete