Friday, March 31, 2017

March Wrap Up and April TBR

Read in March: Contemporary? 

Another good month. I'm finally back to where I want to be and reading 12 books a month. After the embarrassing few months I had this winter and a busy end of the month, I'm glad to be maintaining some level of consistency and getting back to the level of reading I know I can be at. Of course it helps that I was reading some pretty short books and plenty of audiobooks but still. I feel like I'm out of my reading slump and I am back to normal. Plus I was pleasantly surprised by many of the books I read this month. I liked a lot of them more than I had expected which is very exciting because for a long time I was not impressed by many of the books I was excited about. But all in all it was a good month.

For challenges, I am doing okay but not as well as I would hope. I decided to go for a Goodreads goal of 100 books for the year and that was a really good decision. I am now ahead of that challenge and feeling much better about meeting my goals. Having read 12 books this month I am now up to 27 books for the year. I am still a little behind for the Debut Author Challenge of 25 debuts, but I did read 3 this month which brings my total to 6 for the year which means I am basically back on track. For the Netgalley/Edelweiss Challenge, it was a better month for that too, I read 4.5 (half because I also had an audiobook and physical copy of the book) this months which makes my total 8 for the year. I'm still hoping to reach my goal of 50 for the year but I think the 36 target is more doable. For the Rock My TBR Challenge I read 3 books for that this month towards my goal of 25 for the year bringing my totally up to 4 for the year. And finally, the one that I doing well with is the Discussion Challenge, I have done one post for that, on track for twelve in the year.

The Books
1.) The New Girl by R.L. Stine Rating: 6 out of 10 [Stay Tuned]
2.) To All the Boys I Loved Before by Jenny Han Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [My Review]
3.) The Song Rising by Samantha Shannon Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
4.) P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
5.) You're Welcome Universe by Whitney Gardner Rating: 8 out of 10 [My Review]
6.) Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde Rating: 8 out of 10 [My Review]
7.) Night Witches by Kathryn Lasky Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [My Review]
8.) Batgirl,Vol. 1: Beyone Burnside by Hope Larsen, Raphael Albuquerque,  
Dave McCaig, and Deron Bennett Rating: 8.5 out of 10
9.) Girl in Disguise by Greer Mcallister Rating: 8 out of 10 [My Review]
10.) Yes, Please by Amy Poehler Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
11.) A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
12.) Blood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eve Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [My Review]

Other Posts

To Be Read in February: Science Fiction

I am really excited for this month's theme. I have been saving a few books in particular because they fit this theme. I cannot wait to read some of them. Plus this month includes new books from favorite authors, audiobooks narrated by favorite narrators, and backlist books that I have been seriously putting off. I'm super excited to read them. Plus sci-fi month is always fun.

Books for Review


Shadow Run  by AdriAnne Strickland and Michael Miller - Add to Goodreads
This came out a few weeks ago and I have been saving it to read during my science fiction month. I haven't heard a lot about it but it's compared to Firefly and I'm interested

Defy the Stars by Claudia Grey - Add to Goodreads
I'm a big fan of Claudia's Firebird trilogy so I am really excited to read her take on a space opera. Plus even if it wasn't Claudia Gray I still would be super interested in this book because it sounds fantastic.

The Shadow Land by Elizabeth Kostova - Add to Goodreads
I am so so freaking excited for this book. I love Elizabeth Kostova's books and she hasn't had a new one in like 7 years. Plus I read an interview where she said her research for The Historian inspired this book. Can't wait!


The Edge of the Abyss by EmilySkrutskie - Add to Goodreads
I got a copy of this from Michelle who picked it up for me when she went to ALA. I loved The Abyss Surrounds Us and I cannot wait for more from this series. More pirates, sea monsters, and f/f romance please!

The Whole Thing Together by Ann Brashares Add to Goodreads
I like Ann Brashares, like beyond The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (although I love that series). Her most recent book wasn't great but I'm still super interested in this one. It sounds like it'll be a little bit of a return to her roots.

The Most Beautiful Woman in Florence by Alyssa Palumbo Add to Goodreads
This book sounds amazing. I love me some historical fiction especially ones like this that inclorporate some kind of additional culture or art. Plus I love the city of Florence and I am excited to read a book set there.

New Releases


Wires and Nerve by Marissa Meyer and Douglas Holgate Add to Goodreads
I love love love The Lunar Chronicles series and graphic novels so those two together plus Iko as the main character? Yes! I have been saving this for my sci-fi month as well and I cannot wait.

Empress of A Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza Add to Goodreads
I've been wanting to read this book because it's political intrigue in space and the audiobook is narrated by Rebecca Soler so you know I have to listen.

Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor - Add to Goodreads
This is going to be my other audiobook for the month because it's narrated by Steve West. Plus I have heard good things. And maybe this will inspire me to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I know everyone loves the series but I haven't read it yet. (DON'T HATE ME!)

The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli - Add to Goodreads
This is my one preorder for the month by I had to get it. I mean I loved Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. And the MC here totally sounds like someone I would like. Well except the love triange thing but I trust Becky.


Backlist Books


The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness Add to Goodreads
I have been wanting to read this series for awhile and I even have the first two books in the series. Hopefully this will be the month I follow through and read them. Also the audiobook is narrated by Nick Poedhl who I love so maybe I'll listen to the audio.

Dissonance by Ericka O'Rourke Add to Goodreads
I have heard really good things about this time travel series. I have the first book in hardcover and I haven't gotten around to reading it yet so maybe this will be the time.

NIL on Fire by Lynne Matson - Add to Goodreads
I've been wanting to finish this series for awhile now and just haven't. I don't have a good reason other than I don't have a copy of the book. But it fits the theme so maybe this is a good chance.

There you have it. Some of the books I hope to read in April. As always, these are subject to change. I may read all of these or I may only read a few and then read a bunch of different ones. But honestly I think this list I can stick to. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

3 comments:

  1. You read TWELVE books this month?? Good grief, you're my hero. I really need to get to A Crown of Wishes! I loved the first book! I'm planning on reading Strange the Dreamer in April too so I can't wait to see what you think!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m glad you’re back on track with your reading! I had a terrible reading month. I hope you enjoy your sci-fi!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Third!!! I gotta read Wires and Nerves too!! But do I need to read Winter first??? And you always make me feel like I need to read Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda-- I guess I should actually do that.

    ReplyDelete