Friday, April 28, 2017

Audiobook Review: Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick

Title: Scrappy Little Nobody
Written by: Anna Kendrick
Published: November 15, 2016 by Touchstone Books

(Amazon / Goodreads / Audible)

Synopsis: A collection of humorous autobiographical essays by the Academy Award-nominated actress and star of Up in the Air and Pitch Perfect

 Even before she made a name for herself on the silver screen starring in films like Pitch Perfect, Up in the Air, Twilight, and Into the Woods, Anna Kendrick was unusually small, weird, and “10 percent defiant.” 

 At the ripe age of thirteen, she had already resolved to “keep the crazy inside my head where it belonged. Forever. But here’s the thing about crazy: It. Wants. Out.” In Scrappy Little Nobody, she invites readers inside her brain, sharing extraordinary and charmingly ordinary stories with candor and winningly wry observations. 

With her razor-sharp wit, Anna recounts the absurdities she’s experienced on her way to and from the heart of pop culture as only she can—from her unusual path to the performing arts (Vanilla Ice and baggy neon pants may have played a role) to her double life as a middle-school student who also starred on Broadway to her initial “dating experiments” (including only liking boys who didn’t like her back) to reviewing a binder full of butt doubles to her struggle to live like an adult woman instead of a perpetual “man-child.” 

Enter Anna’s world and follow her rise from “scrappy little nobody” to somebody who dazzles on the stage, the screen, and now the page—with an electric, singular voice, at once familiar and surprising, sharp and sweet, funny and serious (well, not that serious).

I recently reminded myself how much I enjoy celebrity memoirs on audiobook so when I saw that Audible was having a site wide sale I decided to pick up a copy of this book. And while I did enjoy it, it didn't blow me away.

I have been a big fan of Anna Kendrick for quite some time. I have never not loved her in a role and I feel like any time I see her in an interview I think how relatable and funny she is. That is exactly what I was expecting here, a relatable and funny memoir. And yes, there were some funny moments and I did find myself thinking that I've experienced that but if I'm being entirely honest, it felt a little basic as far as the stories went.

Most of this book revolved around Anna's career. This is one of the things that I really like about celebrity memoirs, they often give you a peak into the behind the scenes of your favorite movies or TV shows. There were a few interesting moments here, and interesting takes on what it means to be a child star, a starving artist, and a success while still barely making ends meet. I particularly liked the story of Anna's Oscar nomination and how surreal that felt just as her career was beginning. She has a great way of making Hollywood not seem as glamorous as some people make it out to be.

But if you came to this book for the laughs, I'm not sure you will be satisfied. Yes, there are funny moments and I was laughing but those are not the majority of the stories. At times the book is more serious and sentimental. At other times it's introspective and complex. It really gives you a full spectrum of emotions. But isn't that life for you. And I mean this is someone's life so it kind of makes sense.

As I said, I listened to the audiobook and I did really like that aspect. Hearing directly from the author added a lot of clout and emotion to the story. Anna has a really great way of grounding the story while still making it seem interesting and engaging. It's a short audiobook coming in at just under 7 hours and it's easy to finish that in just a few days.

I did enjoy this autobiography more than I thought I would. I would suggest going into it expecting just that, an autobiography. It's not humor like some of these celebrity memoirs, it's more the story of a person's life but it is interesting.

I give Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick 8 out of 10 stars


Buy/Borrow/Bypass: Borrow. If you are a fan of the actress then I would pick up this book. It is an engaging look inside her life and her head. I would definitely recommend the audiobook though. If you can get it from your local library it's worth a listen.

Have you read Scrappy Little Nobody? What did you think? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and  HAPPY READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment