Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Things I Am Most Thankful For


Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. Let's be honest, it's a holiday that revolves around food and family. I know, I know, it's to celebrate the harvest and the fact that the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag Tribe were getting along, however briefly. (I won't go on a diatribe about how they were actually celebrating that a lot of Pilgrims hadn't died that past year and that they two cultures never really got along they were just manipulating one another, but that's beside the point.

It's about food, family, and recognizing that we have a lot of good things going for us. So here is a list of the things I am most thankful for.


1.) Family - I don't really appreciate them enough. My parents are incredibly supportive and kind. This past year I moved 500 miles away from where I was living and they helped me pay for a car, made sure I wasn't financial strapped, and helped me move. They have been wonderful. This past year we also welcomed my first niece into the family and I'm thankful for her as well as my brother, sister, brother-in-law for being amazing siblings.

This picture is from the Wampanoag Village in Plymouth

2.) Friends (New and Old) - When I made the big move I left behind a lot of friends. I'm thankful to the ones that stayed in touch. I'm also thankful to the new friends I made here in Pittsburgh. They have been so welcoming. It's scary to move to a new city but they have been really great!

3.) Skype - On that note... I'm thankful that there is a platform where I can stay in touch with the people I love. I miss my best friend dearly and I miss our weekly dinner dates. Skype lets us see each other, vent, and watch our favorite shows together.

4.) My Cat - One of the best decisions I ever made was agreeing to adopt this feral cat that my friends
had taken off the streets and couldn't care for anymore. She is the sweetest most affectionate little cat and I love having her in my life. I'm a little obsessed with her but she's so wonderful!

5.) My Car - This is the first year I've had a vehicle all to myself since I was a senior in high school. I know it sounds self-centered but it's so nice not to be at the mercy of other people or public transportation. I am so thankful that if I want to go somewhere I can do it in a heartbeat. It has allowed me to go visit my friends and family on a whim and I'm so glad for that. I am hours away from getting in it to drive home for Thanksgiving.

6.) That I Have a Job I Can Wear Jeans To - This one is super self-indulgent, I recognize that, but it's really nice that I don't have to get really dressed up every day. Mostly because it means that I also didn't have to buy new clothes when I got this job. It's nice to be able to dress comfortable every day and I really appreciate that about my job.

7.) The Library - One of my friends asked me recently what my favorite places in my neighborhood are and I answered, "the library." I love going there on weekends, using their wifi to download stuff, finding new books, borrow books, sample books, be around books. The library here in Pittsburgh is wonderful. I can get books from any library delivered to the one I haunt, I can borrow ebooks with  the swipe of a mouse, I even get three free music downloads a week. Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, you are phenomenal.

8.) Amazon Prime - Best $70 I ever spent! I love the fact that I can get free two day shipping, it keeps my book buying costs down a little bit. The other best thing about Amazon Prime is the streaming videos. I can find something to watch here so much easier than with Netflix or Hulu. They have tons of old 90's kids shows that make me feel super nostalgic. Sometimes when you're having a bad day the only cure is Clarissa Explains it All.


9.) People Who Write Books - I know they're called authors. But I am participating in NaNoWriMo right now and I can truly say that it is hard to write a novel. Particularly one that is concise, interesting, and thought -provoking. I tip my hat to you all and thank you for entertaining me this year and well every year.


10.) Everyone reading this - I love that there is a community out there that feels the same way I do about books and wants to be a part of a larger collective. Thanks for stopping by, subscribing, and commenting.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

1 comment:

  1. Aww! Very nice list! Envy the wearing jeans at the job! I do that on Fridays and luckily I just have dress casual, so I'm not wearing the panty hose and heels thankfully! :D

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete