Wednesday, July 1, 2015

June Wrap Up and July TBR

Read in June: Contemporary

June was a good month for me. It finished really strong. Although my favorite book of the month came at the beginning, I went through a stretch where I wasn't loving a lot of my reads. It was contemporary month and I have a bit of a tortured past with contemporary romances but I realized that I just need to pick the right ones and I will love them.

I'm also doing great on my challenges. I'm up t 67 books for the year which is 7 ahead of my goal to read 120 books for my Goodreads challenge. I read five books for the Netgalley and Edelweiss Challenge and I am fast approaching my goal of 25 books. I'm also approaching my goal of reading at least 21 books on my TBR that I already own after reading two in June. I also read two debuts and have officially surpassed the goal of reading 12 debuts this year. I'm thinking of setting a new goal for myself of reading 20 debuts.

The Books:
1.) Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [Full Review]
2.) The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker Rating: 7.5 out of 10 [Full Review]
3.) Powerless by Tera Lynn Childs and Tracey Deebs 
Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [Full Review]
4.) More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera Rating: 8 out of 10 [Full Review]
5.) Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins 
Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [Full Review]
6.) Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone 
Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [Full Review]
7.) The Rise and Fall of a Theater Geek by Seth Rudetsky 
Rating: 6 out of 10 [Full Review]
8.) Nil Unlocked by Lynne Matson Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [Full Review]
9.) Ana of California by Andi Teran Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [Full Review]
10.) The Fixer by Jennifer Lynne Barnes Rating: 9 out of 10 [Full Review]
To Read in July: Historical Mysteries
I'm so excited for this month. Historical Mystery is one of my favorite subgenres, I mean it combines two of my favorite genres. Plus a few of the books I have planned are second books from an author I absolutely love.


1.) Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine - Add to Goodreads
I destroyed this book this weekend. I mean that in the best possible way. It was amazing. Look for my review in a few days.

2.) Silver in the Blood by Jessica Day George - Add to Goodreads
I started this one the other day and I'm more than halfway through it. I'm excited for a supernatural historical mystery set in Romania. It sounds really unique.

3.) The Watchmaker of Filligre Street by Natasha Pulley - Add to Goodreads
This is a book I saw on Goodreads and was like... I need that! It sounds like something I would love. London at the end of the 19th Century with an exploration of gender roles. Yup, need it!

4.) Armada by Ernest Cline - Add to Goodreads
This is not historical or fantasy but it comes out in July and it's Ernest Cline. Plus I got a copy at BEA so I gotta read it. I was going to wait for this audiobook but I'm not good at waiting.


5.) The Other Daughter by Lauren Willig - Add to Goodreads
I have heard good things about Lauren Willig. I have a friend who loves her Pink Carnation series. This is more traditional historical fiction but it's set in the 1920's and sounds fantastic.

6.) Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson - Add to Goodreads
I'm reading this BEA book a little early because it fits this month's theme. I'm so excited to read another book set in the Wild West, especially because this one has fantasy elements.

7.) A School for Unusual Girls by Kate Baldwin - Add to Goodreads
I'm a sucker for boarding school books, especially ones that sound like unique boarding schools. This one reminds me a bit of The Finishing School series by Gail Carriger which I loved.

8.) Tangled Webs by Lee Bross - Add to Goodreads
I'm still excited about this one even after seeing a few mixed reviews. I've been saving it to read during this month so I'm making it happen finally.


9.) The Wild Girl by Kate Forsyth - Add to Goodreads
Kate Forsyth's book Bitter Greens was my favorite book of 2014 so obviously I had to preorder and read this one. I'm so excited for another one of her historical fairy tales. Her writing is just so beautiful.

10.) The Diviners by Libba Bray - Add to Goodreads
I absolutely love Libba Bray and I have no idea why I have waited this long to read The Diviners. But with Lair of Dreams coming out next month I'm finally reading it.

11.) The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway - Add to Goodreads
I'm doing terrible with my goal to read 10 classics this year. I did well the first few months but missing a few months I'm getting back into it in July.

12.) Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld - Add to Goodreads
Okay so when I realized that I wasn't going to wait for the Armada audiobook I needed one to take it's place. I bought a copy of this about a year ago and still haven't listen to it. It fits this month's theme so why not.

What did you read in June? What do you plan to read in July? Have you read any of the books on my TBR. What did you think? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm soo thrilled you liked Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe because its definitely one of those books that I really need to get soon. Every Last Word & More Happy Than Not too! ♥

    Great books you've got there! Truly :)

    - Jumana @ Books by Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a good month. I just finished Aristotle & Dante a few days ago and really liked it. I bought More Happy than Not, but it’ll probably be months before I get around to reading it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete