Thursday, July 9, 2015

Unpopular Opinions Tag

I was tagged by CJ Listro of Sarcasm & Lemons (thanks CJ!) and I am honestly so excited to do this tag. I am always really nervous about sharing unpopular opinions but I also really like talking about things that I hate. I think you can learn more about a person and their tastes by finding out what they don't like. If you are a frequent reader of My Thoughts Literally many of these will not be a surprise to you but here are some of my unpopular opinions.

Before I go any further, a disclaimer. If I bashed your favorite thing ever please don't hate me. I don't think any less of you because you enjoyed this thing, please don't think any less of me because I didn't. Cool? Cool. I trust you all!

1.) A Popular Book or Series You Didn't Like

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - Goodreads

There have been so many super hyped books recently that everyone loves that I have been meh about but I wouldn't say I hated any of them. But I seriously hate this book. I'm more of an Emily Bronte kind of girl. I tried to read this book, I really did, but I just couldn't handle it. I'm going to probably freak out a lot of people by saying I found it boring and predictable but I also hate Mr. Rochester. How is he a romantic hero in the vein of Mr. Darcy to people? Spoiler alert: He imprisoned his mentally unstable ex-wife in the attic and then put the moves on his employee. That's not sweet and romantic. That's a jerk move!

2.) A Popular Book or Series That Everyone Hates But You Love

The Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman - Goodreads

This one was probably the hardest one for me to think. I'm not often trying to justify why I liked a book when other people didn't. And while I wouldn't say this is a series that "everyone hates" but it is definitely super unpopular within the fantasy world. It's the kind of book that you either love or hate. I love it. I find it super creative and very tongue in cheek. The main character is a whiny little brat but I love him. I want him to succeed and get his hearts desire even though he's such a pessimist,



3.) A Love Triangle Where The MC Ended Up With The Person You Didn't Want Them To End Up With.

The Falconer by Elizabeth May - Goodreads
 The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon - Goodreads

I mean I love both these books but the romance just didn't work for me. I'm not sure I would call The Bone Season a love triangle but one things for sure, I do not ship it. I know, everyone loves Warden. And everyone loved Kiaran. They're dreamy and badass fae like characters who cause everyone to swoon. Everyone except this girl. Not my thing. I also don't ship Rowan in Throne of Glass like a lot of people. Fairies do nothing for me romantically.


4.) Popular Book Genre You Almost Never Reach For

Romance. And any of it's subgenres.

I don't need romance to enjoy a book and so if the entire plot revolves around romance I'm just not going to like it. I will probably never go for erotica and if the genre ends in romance I will think long and hard about whether or not I will read it and probably decide no, no I will not.

5.) A Popular or Beloved Character You Didn't Like

Arya Stark in A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin - Goodreads 

You guys probably know I'm a huge Team Sansa kind of girl and I'm 100% House Stark but I just don't like Arya. I mean, I used to like Arya. She was my girl in book 1. But then she just had this downward spiral of crazy vengeance fueled ridiculousness, which is fair but not my thing. I'm definitely not a fan of her character development. I'm probably the only person who wants to see her keep her vows as a Faceless Man. She's just become so single-minded and I like my female characters to be well-rounded and not just become senseless killing machines.

6.) A Popular Author You Can't Seem to Get Into

Neil Gaiman

(PUT THE PITCHFORK DOWN!) I haven't really tried very hard. I read Stardust and didn't love it. I tried to listen to the audiobook for Neverwhere and got distracted. I need to read The Graveyard Book or American Gods. Those seem more my speed. Can we still be friends?

7.) A Popular Book Trope You're Tired of Seeing

Source
Manic Pixie Dream Girl. 

I redeemed myself, right? But seriously, can the MPDG just die already. It's annoying. You can make a girl quirky without making her an MPDG, just ask Rainbow Rowell. But more than that I hate the Good Guy falls for MPDG romantic trope. Can't the good guy fall for the good girl? And for that matter can't the good girl fall for the good guy? UGH!

8.) A Popular Series You Have No Interest in Reading

If I Stay/Where She Went by Gayle Foreman. - Goodreads

This should come as no surprise to most people who read my blog. I talk about it all the time. I DON'T DO SAD BOOKS! If a book is sad on purpose I really can't get on board. I'm sure this is a beautifully-written heart-breaking story of romance and a girl finding the inner strength to go on. I mean a lot of people love it. I will just never be reading it.

9.) Show/Movie Adaptation You Liked Better Than the Book


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - Goodreads


I was going to say Stardust for this one. I didn't love the book but I found the movie fantastic. But I think I'm instead going to go with this one that I think will be a super unpopular opinion and that's mostly because I didn't love the book. I predicted the ending so I didn't find it sad at all. I felt like a soulless automaton sent from the future to remind people that feelings are our downfall when I read the book. But when I watched the movie I sobbed like a baby.

People to Tag

Let's see, who likes tag posts? Whose unpopular opinions do I want to see?
1.) Elizabeth at Book YAbber
2.) Britt at Please Feed the Bookworm 
3.) Stephanie at My Bookish Itinerary
4.) Jessie at Jessie Reads Everything

What about you? What unpopular opinions do you have? How do you feel about these books? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

14 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like this tag. I enjoyed Jane Eyre, but I found Mr. Rochester creepy. I didn’t really like If I Stay because I can’t stand sappy books. I do like Neil Gaiman. Have you read Coraline? It’s a kids’ book, so it’s a quick read, and it’s a little unusual.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are also not a fan of Mr. Rochester. I mean I liked the movie because Michael Fassbender but I think there are way better romantic heroes. I haven't read Coraline. I've seen to movie though. I like unusual. I may try The Graveyard Book though. It's also MG I think.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read anything by Gaiman, so you're still ahead of me on that one. Oh, and I enjoyed The Magicians, but I never did finish the series (I read the first two books). And I think I might have enjoyed TFioS movie more than the book too!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, good to know I'm not the only person who hasn't really read the entire Gaiman collection. I'm glad you like The Magicians trilogy, it's very hit or miss. And The Magician's Land is a really good ending to the series. You should definitely check it out.

      Delete
  3. Hogg love you answers and I love your tags even more!! So excited to do this one! I'm actually almost finished the Big Bang Theory tag!! I really like the colors u did in your theme too!! Pretty!!
    ❤️Britt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEAH! I'm glad your excited. And GIRLLLL, get on that Big Bang Theory Tag, that was ages ago!

      Delete
  4. I love that you also don't love Neil Geiman. I've only read The Graveyard Book, but I didn't like it. Nothing happened! I love the Stardust movie, but I haven't read the book. Maybe in a few years I'll give him another chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, The Graveyard Book is my next attempt to get into Gaiman. The Stardust book is very different, less action I think and lots of different perspectives which I don't usually like. I'll let you know if I read anything from him I do love. I'll give him another chance I think.

      Delete
  5. "I am always really nervous about sharing unpopular opinions but I also really like talking about things that I hate."

    Hahahahaha you are great!

    We can still be friends even though you dislike Neil Gaiman. I'm just gonna twitch a little bit.

    I don't ship Rowan either. ;)

    C.J.
    Sarcasm & Lemons

    P.S. Also this: "I felt like a soulless automaton sent from the future to remind people that feelings are our downfall when I read the book. "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks. I'm glad you don't disown me for my Gaiman thoughts, twitch away. I'm also glad you don't ship Rowan. After I read your post on this I know what you ship in Throne of Glass and I don't necessarily agree although I do love him so much so I'll let it slide. And I'm glad you like my statement of TFioS. I say that every time someone finds out I didn't cry after reading the book, and I'm a crier.

      Delete
  6. I love this tag (I'm tagging myself, so...)! I didn't realize people didn't like The Magicians! I think I saw it on your blog and I just picked it up from the library yesterday, so hopefully I love it too! I'm with you on not having much desire to read romance. Well, pure romance. I do love some romance in pretty much everything I read!!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEAH! Tag away Tracy. I tried to pick people I know like tags. I'll definitely keep you in mind in the future. I love The Magicians. It's very tongue in cheek and I refer to it as a fantasy parody. You may not love it though. I know one thing for sure, you are going to HATE Quentin. He's one of those whiny unlikeable characters that I like that I mentioned on your review of Snow Like Ashes.

      Delete
  7. So funny. I was shocked with your Jane Eyre answer, and ah, I really disliked The Magicians haha. I do agree with you on TFIOS movie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah. I'm surprised more people aren't shocked by my Jane Eyre answer. That book is seriously beloved. Just not by me. And I totally understand on The Magicians. I know a lot of people didn't like it. Mostly for the character but also a lot of big fantasy fans don't like the way it treats the tropes in a satirical way. I did enjoy that because I get annoyed at some of the traditional tropes of the genre. But I'm glad we are on the same page on the TFioS movie, something to keep us friends.

      Delete