Wednesday, September 30, 2015

September Wrap Up and October TBR

Read in September: Mystery
This fall has so many anticipated reads for me and September is no exception. From the debuts, to the sequels, there were so many books I read this month that I couldn't wait to get my hands on and many of them did not disappoint. I had at two 10 star review and a few of these may make my top books of the year list. A few of them even surprised me with how much I liked them.

I'm also still doing really well on my challenges. I am up to 99 books for the the year which is a substantially ahead of my goal of reading 120 books this year. I'm also way ahead of the goal for the Debut Author Challenge and have set my sights on reading 24 debuts. I read five debuts this month alone and I am now up to 22 debuts for the year. I'm also doing well on the Netgalley/Edelweiss Challenge having read five books for that challenge as well. I've reached my goal of reading 25 books and I don't think I will reach 50 so my new goal is to get my NG percentage to 80% because I've been so close for so long. And finally I dropped the ball on the TBR Pile Challenge. I am still at 17 and I need to read 4 more books to reach my goal. October will also be a bad month for that but I have plans for November and December that will get me there.

The Books
1.) Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
2.) Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas Rating: 10 out of 10 [My Review]
3.) Lock and Mori by Heather W. Perry Rating: 7.5 out of 10 [My Review]
4.) The Scam by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg 
Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [My Review]
5.) The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
6.) The Weight of Feathers by Anna-Marie McLemore 
Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
7.) Blood and Salt by Kim Liggett Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
8.) Beastly Bones by William Ritter Rating: 10 out of 10 [My Review]
9.) The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
10.) Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
11.) This Monstrous Thing by Mackenzi Lee Rating: [My Review to Come]

Rereads
12.) Jackaby by William Ritter - [Original Review]
13.) The Young Elites by Marie Lu - [Original Review]
14.) The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson - [Original Review]


Other Posts
Waiting on Wednesday: See How They Run by Ally Carter


To Be Read in October: High Fantasy


1.) Menagerie by Rachel Vincent - Add to Goodreads
I started this a few weeks ago and it's interesting but it hasn't hooked me. We'll see how I feel about the second half.

2.) The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness - Add to Goodreads
I'm so excited about this one. I love the concept of putting into focus the characters who would usually be secondary. Plus it's my first Patrick Ness. *runs away*

3.) Nimona by Noelle Stevenson - Add to Goodreads
My secret sister got me this book in August. It is the perfect read for high fantasy month and I thought it'd be a good palette cleanse between all these highly anticipated sequels.

4.) Carry On by Rainbow Rowell - Add to Goodreads
Rainbow Rowell wrote an fantasy. How very exciting is that? Plus it's based on the character from Fangirl, which I loved. I'm meeting Rainbow in a week and I can't wait!


5.) Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson - Add to Goodreads
What everyone needs in their life is more Mistborn, right? Thanks to Sanderson we get 3 more books within the next year, this being the first. I can't wait to return to this world.

6.) Newt's Emerald by Garth Nix - Add to Goodreads
This seems like a quick and interesting historical fantasy, which I love, and I am also hoping it will be a good palette cleanse after some of these other serious high fantasy stuff. Plus it's my first Garth Nix *runs away*

7.) The Rose Society by Marie Lu - Add to Goodreads
Just thinking about this book has me hyperventilating. I love The Young Elites and the dark and dramatic world. I can't wait to see Adelina descend into madness.

8.) Ice Like Fire by Sarah Raasch - Add to Goodreads
I read Snow Like Ashes a little later than most people but I liked it. I especially liked the world. I'm excited to explore it some more.



9.) City of Thirst by Carrie Ryan and John Parke Davis - Add to Goodreads
And another palette cleanser. If I'm doing a high fantasy month I need some fun reads to balance out the action packed epics. This is MG and I liked the first book so I'm excited for the sequel

10.) Illuminae by Aime Kaufman and Jay Kristoff - Add to Goodreads
Basically everyone is talking about this book. I got an ARC of BEA and I was going to wait until November to read it because it fits that theme but I can't wait anymore.

11.) After Alice by Gregory Maguire - Add to Goodreads
I'm a big Gregory Maguire fan so I'm really excited to read his Alice and Wonderland retelling/sequel and see his take on the classic. It's a total me book.

Rereads:

Finishing School Series by Gail Carriger: Etiquette and EspionageCurtsies and Conspiracies, Weapons and Waistcoats 


The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer: CinderScarlet, Cress


So I probably won't get to all of these books but this is my plan for the next six weeks. The last book in the Finishing School series is out November 3rd and the final book in The Lunar Chronicles comes out November 10th. I have all the audiobooks on hold at the library but they may come in a weird order so I'll just have to play it by ear. HA! Get it? It's an unintentional audiobook pun! Are you even reading this? Leave a comment that you read my pun and you'll be my new best friend!

What are you reading in October? Are there any of the same books on your list? Have you read any of these? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You had a great reading month! Congrats! So glad to see that you read and loved Blood and Salt.
    Good luck to you in October. That TBR is quite hefty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. So many books. I’m hoping to read Carry On, Vengeance Road, and The Weight of Feathers next month. They all look really good.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a rather crappy September month when it comes to number of books read... and I feel like I'm gonna be failing all my challenges this year, but I've been doing more re-reads and reading more what I feel like that what I feel I ought to (if it makes sense) and I'm happier reading, so that counts, right?

    I also hope to finally reach the ellusive 80% on Netgalley before the end of the year! I reached it in August but then I was approved for a bunch of books (I have no self control when requesting, bad Pili!) so it was back to 70%...

    And your first Ness & Nix are also gonna be my first books by them, so we can hide together!

    Also, I cannot wait till you read Illuminae!! I SO LOVE THAT BOOK!! YOU MUST DM YOUR FEELS!!

    ReplyDelete