Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Top Ten Books for Fans of Gone Girl

A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

I seriously wracked my brain trying to find a super popular book or author. I was going to do Harry Potter but that seemed too obvious. Then I thought Game of Thrones because I love those books but I realized that so many books are already compared to them.

So because mystery month here on My Thoughts Lit is winding to a close and because I finally watched the Gone Girl movie this weekend, I thought I would do that. Which if you haven't read is the kind of mystery and thriller that really messes with your head thanks to the character who are super terrible characters and a he said she said kind of format. If you haven't read it, here's my review.

1.) The Good Girl by Mary Kubica - My Review
The Good Girl is one of the most creative mysteries I've read in a long time. It gives the reader a really well-rounded look at a kidnapping and many of the characters aren't the most likeable but that's what makes them interesting

2.) Dear Daughter by Elizabeth LittleMy Review
This was an interesting and engaging mystery with quirky characters who are more than meets the eye. The story unfolded in a really good way and when it was all over I was left reeling. Plus just like in Gone Girl the character has to find out the truth to show that their not guilty.

3.) The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma - My Review
And another book that left me reeling and confused when it was all over. The mystery wasn't really hard to solve but the way the clues were unveiled was fantastic and it totally messed with my head thanks to the narrators.

4.) All Fall Down by Ally Carter - My Review
All Fall Down is on the list because the main character is an unreliable narrator and isn't the most likable person at times. But it's also similar to Gone Girl in that the main character has to prove their innocence to people who don't really believe her.

5.) We Were Liars by E. LockhartMy Review
We Were Liars wasn't a very difficult mystery but the characters and the fact that there is an unreliable narrator it reminded me a lot of Gone Girl.

6.) The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich - My Review
Like a lot of the books on this list, The Dead House has an unreliable narrator. It is also really dark and has you guessing about what and who to believe. And it also ended with a way that made sense and yet I still needed to flail about it.

7.) Blackbird by Anna CareyMy Review
Blackbird is told in second person and the format sort of messes with your head and takes you into the mind of someone who doesn't really remember it completely. And like Gone Girl the mystery wasn't a huge shock but it was really creative.

8.) Blood and Salt by Kim Liggett - My Review
I finished less than a week ago and I seriously loved it and just really wanted to put it on this list because it's so great and mysterious. No but it's also a book that will have you questioning the characters motives and who to trust just like Gone Girl.

9.) Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy - My Review
Did this surprise you? It's not a mystery or a thriller. But it does have an unlikable main character and is told in a he said/she said kind of format that includes flashbacks that give you knowledge to round out a complicated plot and characters.

10.) The Young Elites by Marie LuMy Review
Even more surprised? If you have read Gone Girl you know how ruthless and devious the characters are. And I'm just saying the ones in The Young Elites kind of make them look demure.

Honorable Mention to Some I Need to Read:
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins - Add to Goodreads
In the Woods by Tana French - Add to Goodreads
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn - Add to Goodreads
Dangerous Girls by Abigain Haas - Add to Goodreads

Have you read Gone Girl? Any books you would recommend to fans of the book? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING.

11 comments:

  1. I think you nailed it. I hated Gone Girl, and I also hated We Were Liars and Side Effects May Vary. Great list! I'll stay away from the other books listed though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Girl on the Train, a little bit different but it was as thrilling as Gone Girl, except I hated the main narrator

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently read The Dead House and Blood and Salt. The Dead House left me with conflicting feelings and while I am not sorry I read it, I do wish I had loved it more. I really enjoyed Dear Daughter and think more people should read it. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Girl on the Train is fantastic. Hope you enjoy it!

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to get my hands on Blood and Salt! I really want to pick up the Dead House this October. And I thought The Walls Around Us was very good. We Were Liars is a fine choice for this list, but I can't think of any others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh nicey nice! Never read Gone Girl, but LOVED The Dead House! So creepy...and twisted! Loved The Young Elites too! And Blood and Salt is in my mountainous TBR mountain! LOL!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read Gone Girl or any of these books. I'll have to check them out soon!

    My TTT

    Lizzie @ Big Books and Grande Lattes

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still need to read Gone Girl but these all look sufficiently thrilling for this time of year! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had the same problem as you, and I was just going to go with The Fault In Our Stars because WHY NOT, but then I ended up not because I have read a negative number of contemporary books. Anyways.

    I also was really confused by The Walls Around Us, but I can say that I did enjoy the mystery, especially behind the drama when it came to dancing. I've never heard of Blackbird, and the fact that it's told in second person really intrigues me. MUST CHECK IT OUT NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Gone Girl. Gillian Flynn has a messed up mind to come up with that crazy. But yes to Dangerous Girls. That to me was definitely a YA Gone Girl. The Walls Around Us messed with me too. How did you like the Gone Girl movie.... did you see that shower scene?????? I'm not saying I rewound it many times until I was able to get the pause at the right moment or anything... nope I'm not saying anything at all about that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quite a few of these were on my TBR! Dangerous Girls is definitely a YA version of Gone Girl, it was brilliant! My mind has never been messed with so much as it was with the ending of Dangerous Girls!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/top-ten-tuesday-24/

    ReplyDelete