Thursday, January 21, 2016

Crossing Over: Dimensional Travel


It's time for this month's edition of Crossing Over. If you're not familiar with Crossing Over it's a feature where I recommend an adult book with crossover appeal based on a YA or sometimes Middle Grade book that is similar. It's basically an if you liked, then try but for crossover books. It runs once a month here and I pick the books based on the theme of what I'm reading. So because this is Time Travel/Dimensional Travel month I decided to go with two books that are pretty fantastic and fit the theme. I was considering doing some of the books I actually reviewed this month (specifically A Thousand Pieces of You) but it felt like overkill so I picked a few that I talk about a lot but whatever.



His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman
Read My Review / Add to Goodreads

His Dark Materials is a series about a multiverse and dimensional travel. While the first book is a lot of set up, the second book takes us to multiple Oxfords and different worlds where it analyzes how and why things may have evolved based on subtle changes in the world's composition. There is a lot of analysis over power and spiritual ideas about the soul and it's relationship with humanity. On top of that it has some really amazing characters that you will instantly fall in love with including a plucky heroine who speaks her mind, a strong hero that balances her out really well, and a devious villain that you love to hate. This is one of my all-time favorite series because how well-plotted and complex it is as individual books as well as a series. And don't let the fact that it's middle grade fool you, it's super dark and complex. If you haven't read it, you must.

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
Read My Review / Add to Goodreads

I've been thinking a lot about this book with A Gathering of Shadows coming in about a month. It is a brilliant series about a multiverse and dimensional travel. It takes us to multiple Londons and different worlds where it analyzes how and why things may have evolved based on subtle changes in the world's composition specifically their relationship with magic. There is a lot of analysis over power, magic, and it's relationship with humanity. On top of that it has some really amazing characters that you will instantly fall in love with including a badass heroine who speaks her mind, a strong hero that balances her out really well, and devious villains that you love to hate. This quickly became a favorite series because of how well-plotted and complex it is as individual books as well as a series. It's a dark and complex fantasy. If you haven't read it, you must.


These are both amazing examples of how dimensional travel can go so well. You don't always have to make huge changes to the worlds. Sometimes the smaller more subtle differences make things more dramatic and interesting. But what really makes these series so good is the characters. They're likable and complex with strengths and weaknesses. The two protagonists make an amazing team and balance one another out really well. Plus, let's be real... Lyra Belacqua and Lila Bard are some of my all-time favorite strong female characters. Plus the plot development is top notch with specific plots for each book and larger plot points for the series. I cannot wait to see where things go in A Gathering of Shadows but I know I will love it because Victoria Schwab is a fantastic writer. These are some of my favorite characters and I would definitely recommend them to fantasy or even science fiction fans.

Have you read His Dark Materials and/or A Darker Shade of Magic? What did you think? What fantasy and dimensional travel crossovers do you like? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

4 comments:

  1. I have A Darker Shade of Magic on my list. Your comparison to His Dark Materials makes me want to read it even more. I may need to bump it up in priority!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ADSOM is amazing! I know there are some people doing a readalong with A Gathering of Shadows coming out in a month. I hope you are able to read it and enjoy!

      Delete
  2. How did I not discover your blog earlier! Time travel month sounds absolutely magnificent, I LOVE everything time travel! Haven't read either of these but they've been on my TBR for ages. Maybe it's time.

    - Jen from The Bookavid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's time. They're both great books. I'm a huge fan of bath books. They're new favorites and old favorites.

      Delete