Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Childhood Characters to Catch Up With

A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

1.) Pippi Longstocking
I wanted to be Pippi Longstocking when I was a kid. I mean she was a messy-haired spunky tomboy living alone with a pet monkey and a treasure chest full of gold. Dream come true. I wonder what she's up to now. Pirate Queen, probably.

2.) The Boxcar Children
What do you think The Boxcar Children are up to now? Are they still living in that Boxcar in the woods? Maybe they moved to one of those Tiny Houses. At least one of them lives in a Tiny House, I'm sure of it.

3.) The Babysitters Club
I'd love to see where these girls ended up as adult. Actually a few years ago The Hairpin did a great where are they now with them. I thought it was absolutely possible. The only difference is I think Dawn is totally a climate activist

4.) Brian Robeson from Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
I loved Hatchet so much when I read it as an eleven year old. I read all the sequels. It was my favorite. So I would love to catch up with an adult Brian. Do you think he has his own Survirorman style show or is he just totally off the grid?

5.) Madeline
I loved Madeline as a kid. She was my favorite. Clearly I loved spunky redheads (see Pippi). I bought my niece a Madeline book for Christmas to get her into it. But I wonder about adult Madeline.

6.) Harriet the Spy
Did she join the CIA? Is she a real spy? Or a police detective? Or did that bad experience spying on her friends teach her never to spy on people again and she ended up living a completely normal life as a teacher or something.

7.) Miss Frizzle's Class from The Magic School Bus
Miss Frizzle's class 10 year reunion, anyone? Or maybe Miss Frizzle is retiring and all her students come back for one more adventure on the Magic School Bus. Except this time Arnold really did stay home (like a jerk!)

8.) Emily Elizabeth from Clifford
I loved Clifford as a kid. I wanted to name our new dog Clifford when I was twelve because he was a red-tri Australian Shepard. But I wonder what Emily Elizabeth is up to now. Does she still live on Birdwell Island? Or did she make it back to the mainland and never look back?

9.) Charlie Bucket from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Who will take over the factory from Charlie? As he is getting on in the years perhaps he should have another Golden Ticket style search for his heir. Or maybe Slugworth stages a hostile takeover and Charlie has to get everything back from him.


10.) Molly McIntire from the American Girl series
I loved the American Girl books so much as a kid. I was partial to Felicity and Kirsten while my sister like Molly and Samantha. But if I think about which character I want to get an update from that's Molly. Post-War 1950's Molly you guys!

Those are my picks. What childhood favorites do you want to catch up with? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Such a great list. I LOVED The Babysitters Club and The Boxcar Children. I never read Pippi Longstocking, but I loved the movie - the musical one. "Pippi Longstocking is coming into your town! A freckle-faced red-haired girl you outta know! Her game is monkeying around." (I think that's how it goes.) My sister and I watched that movie a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS LIST!!! OMG YES one of the Boxcar kids is totally living in a pod house! For sure! And Brian Robeson also made my list. I so want to know if he ever rejoined society or he's all unibomber-woods guy. Also Madeline--- hmmm that could go either way. She was kind of brat at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could I have forgotten Pippi Longstocking! I used to pretend I was Pippi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely forgot about Clifford and Pippi! They were/are classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I love your picks -- totally agree re: Magic School Bus, Molly and The Babysitters Club! Loved all of those books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved all of these books growing up. Your list brings back so many great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome choices!! I grew up with a few of these books too. I'd love to check back in with The Babysitter's Club and Magic School Bus!

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miss Frizzles class! You are the first person I have seen mention this. Great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete