Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Books With a Good Slowburn Romance

 
A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

I'm pretty hard on the romances in the books I read. I mean last week I mentioned ten books I wish had less romance. So today is Valentine's Day and as much as I want to go on a rant about how it's a made up holiday to sell cards and candy (both things that I love), I feel like maybe I should give in. So instead here are some romances I did like, because they are slow burns.

1.) Six of Crows series by Leigh Bardugo - My Review
This book is full of great ships and most of them are good slowburns. But oh the burn on one is so slow that even the characters holding hands overwhelmed me with shipping feels. Throughout most of this series I wanted to smoosh them together so much.

2.) The Raven Cycle by Maggie Steifvater - My Review
I mean we knew going in that this was going to have some rough but fantastic shipping feels. We are told from the beginning that Blue will kill her true love by kissing them. But let's be real here, the actual best slowburn romance is Pynch.

3.) Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley - My Review
I mean this slowburn was painful, so painful. I love when the relationships are part slowburn and part "we shouldn't be together" and this one had so much of both. It was a little unrequited love that became requited and it was risky on so many levels.

4.) Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - My Review
I've said before that I felt like I was Cath in college but I didn't have Levi. Oh amazingly sweet was he with his patience and pumpkin mocha breve. I shipped them so hard and slowburn was perfectly painful.

5.) Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson - My Review
This was the book that really made me realize that I don't totally hate contemporaries and a lot of that had to do with the romance. I actually really liked how sweet and slowburny it was. Plus, how adorable is Frank Porter?

6.) The Abyss Surrounds Us by Emily Skrutskie - My Review
This one is kind of subtle on the romance but it definitely gives the book a lot of heart. I like how the subtlety gives it this great slowburn and even the start of it is so subtle that it's perfect. I'm really hoping for more romantic moments in the sequel though.

7.) Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin - My Review
This is another book that's kind of light on the romance, which I like, but I did still kind of ship it. Partially because I love Luka Lowe so much and partially because it's another one of those slowburn, we shouldn't be together types. Plus I relate to the MC resisting the romance.

8.) I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios - My Review
This book was really good and honestly so much of it wrecked me, it was so emotional. Part of that was the romance. It was such a great slowburn of a relationship and I loved watching it develop. I am rarely happy with the moment the characters kiss for the first time and this time I was.

9.) The Winner's Trilogy by Marie Rutkowski - My Review
And once again, a slowburn romance that is one of those "we shouldn't be together" kind of thing. I wasn't totally shipping it in the first book but the way it developed throughout the series I was into it. That is kind of the mark of a good slowburn for me.

10.) Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli  - My Review
This ship is so freaking cute! It's adorably fluffy and I love it. But the most interesting about it is that it's not really a slowburn but it kind of is. You get to see the people fall for each other before you even know who Blue is. It's so cute!

Honorable Mention
The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer  - My Review
The Finishing School Series by Gail Carriger - My Review
Starbound trilogy by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner - My Review

There you have it. All my favorite slowburns. What are your favorite books with slowburn romance? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

3 comments:

  1. Yes to these, yes to all of these. Slow burn romances are my absolute favourite, they are so good. Plus the slow burn just means the chemistry builds up so much over the course of the book. You can't beat a good slow burn romance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoh nice picks!! And topic choice too! I really enjoyed the romance of The Winner's Curse and of course all those ships in Six of Crows!! Marvelous choices!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did slow burns this week too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/14/top-ten-tuesday-96/

    ReplyDelete