Friday, February 3, 2017

January Wrap Up and February TBR

Read in January: Fantasy

Well this month's wrap up is embarassing for me. I have not been reading much lately and January is the worst month I have had in a really long time. Life kind of got in the way. I was super busy with work and then I got sick. Like really sick. Nothing serious but I just couldn't read. I couldn't focus on the books, all I could do was watch Netflix, YouTube videos, and nap. I'm slowly climbing out of the reading slump and reading more regularly now that I'm feeling better but for me, this month was bad. Really bad. I read 5 new books and no rereads.

For challenges, I am not doing well on those either. It's hard to meet those goals if I'm not meeting my other goals. My Goodreads goal is to read 150 books for the year and I am totally behind with that. But it is still early so I think I can still make up for it. I'm also behind for the Debut Author Challenge of 25 debuts,  having read 1 this month which brings my total to 31 for the year. For the Netgalley/Edelweiss Challenge, it was a slow month for that too, but I'm still hoping to reach my goal of 50 for the year. For the Rock My TBR Challenge I read no book for that this month towards my goal of 25 for the year. And finally, the one that I doing well with is the Discussion Challenge, I have done one post for that, on track for twelve in the year.

The Books
1.) The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden 
Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [My Review]
2.) Wayfarer by Alexandra Bracken Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
3.) Windwitch by Susan Dennard Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
4.) Caraval by Stephanie Carber Rating: 8 out of 10 [My Review]

DNF Review: 
5.) The Alchemists of Loom by Elise Kova [My Review]

Other Posts

To Be Read in February: Historical Fantasy

Well now that January is behind me, I am staying positive and moving on. Already I think I am back on track because I am reading more and I am reading multiple books. And I am really excited about some of the books I am planning to read in February. Plus I am really excited about this theme. Historical Fantasy is my favorite subgenre and there are some really great books which fit this theme.

Books for Review


Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones - Add to Goodreads
I have heard nothing but great things about this book and I am super excited to read it. I've already started it and plan to finish it this weekend.

Dreamland Burning by Jennifer Latham - Add to Goodreads
This one sounds like a totally fantastic me book. It's one of those books that has a mystery in the present being something that happened in the past. And it's about the Tulsa Race Riots which is pretty cool.

All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Matsi - Add to Goodreads
I got a copy of this from Netgalley and it sounds super interesting. It's alternative history that shows us living in the technologically advanced world that they imagined for us in the 50's but of course there are problems.
 

Gilded Cage by Vic James Add to Goodreads
I have a copy of this from Netgalley and it definitely sounds interesting. I've heard some mixed reviews but it seems like the kind of fantasy I would enjoy.

Rebel Genius by Michael Dante DimartinoAdd to Goodreads
I keep putting this one off  but I am hoping to get to it now. I am doing a rewatch of Avatar the Last Airbender right now and it's rekindling my desire to read this.

 The Song Rising  by Samantha Shannon - Add to Goodreads
This comes out at the beginning of March and I could not be more excited. I am a huge fan of this series and it has been such a long wait for this book.

New Releases


The Dark Days Pact by Allison Goodman Add to Goodreads
I read The Dark Days Club last winter and loved it. It's such a fun and interesting story. I'm currently rereading it and listening to the audio which is narrated by Fiona Hardingham so I can listen to the sequel.

The Valiant by Lesley Livingston Add to Goodreads
I am so excited about this book. It sounds totally up my alley. I mean it's about a kickass female gladiator. I love unique historical fiction and this totally fits that bill. 

A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab - Add to Goodreads
I am absolutely nervicited about this book. It's the third and final book in the Shades of Magic series and I know it's going to be amazing and also totally wreck me. I should maybe reread AGoS first though.

Backlist Books


My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows Add to Goodreads
This is my book club book for the month and I am super super excited about that because I cannot wait to read this book. Why have I waited this long? I don't know!

A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis Add to Goodreads
I probably won't read this but just in case I need something else, this one fits the theme and is one that I have been wanting to read lately.

There you have it. Some of the books I hope to read in February. We'll see. As always, these are subject to change. I may read all of these or I may only read a few and then read a bunch of different ones. But honestly I think this list I can stick to. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

8 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read A Madness So Discreet forever and I haven't yet either, and I don't know why!
    I'm sure you're gonna love My Lady Jane!
    Also... ACOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO EXCITED & NERVOUS I COULD PUKE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle and I were thinking about buddy reading A Madness so Discreet. You should join us! I don't know why I haven't read it either. It's totally Cassi bait. Also... ACOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. You have some good books on your list! Sorry about you not feeling well. I actually just got over a really bad viral infection so I understand just laying in bed and watching Netflix. I'm really looking forward to reading My Lady Jane and Wintersong as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm super excited about so many of them. It's going to be a fantastic month and honestly, I need that. Wintersong was good and I'm reading My Lady Jane now. I've heard great things.

      Delete
  3. 5 books doesn't seem too bad considering you've been ill! I've been seeing reviews for windwitch everywhere and I still haven't read truthwitch! I really want to read a madness so discreet as well, I keep putting it off for some reason...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks. Everything is relative I guess. My average is 10-12 books a month so that is really bad for me. It's half of my usual. It's not terrible.

      Delete
  4. I've been hearing such good things about The Bear and the Nightingale. It looks like you enjoyed it, too.

    I snagged My Lady Jane a few weeks ago when it was on sale, so hopefully I'll be reading it soon.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bear and the Nightingale was good. It's a bit of a slow read but the audiobook was fantastic. I got My Lady Jane when it was on sale as well. Hope you can get to it and you enjoy it.

      Delete