Monday, December 26, 2016

Book Review: Timeless by Gail Carriger

*** This is the fifth book in a series, so if you haven't read these books, proceed with caution. But seriously, has my marathoning of the series not convinced you to read it if you haven't yet? No? Then I have failed you.***

Title: Timeless
Parasol Protectorate #5
Written by: Gail Carriger
Published: March 1, 2012 by Orbit
(Amazon / Goodreads)

Synopsis: Alexia Tarabotti, Lady Maccon, has settled into domestic bliss. Of course, being Alexia, such bliss involves integrating werewolves into London High society, living in a vampire's second best closet, and coping with a precocious toddler who is prone to turning supernatural willy-nilly. Even Ivy Tunstell's acting troupe's latest play, disastrous to say the least, cannot put a dampener on Alexia's enjoyment of her new London lifestyle. 

 Until, that is, she receives a summons from Alexandria that cannot be ignored. With husband, child and Tunstells in tow, Alexia boards a steamer to cross the Mediterranean. But Egypt may hold more mysteries than even the indomitable Lady Maccon can handle. What does the vampire Queen of the Alexandria Hive really want from her? Why is the God-Breaker Plague suddenly expanding? And how has Ivy Tunstell suddenly become the most popular actress in all the British Empire?

This series is over and I'm sad. My marathoning of it has taken a little over a month and I'm not ready to let it go. I may need to start reading Prudence right away! Because I really did love reading it. It's such a fun and thrilling series and the last book did not disappoint.

For one thing I love these characters so much. I was already attached to a few of them after reading the Finishing School books and I got quickly attached to the rest in these five books. Carriger definitely knows how to develop a quirky cast of characters and make them likable and complex. Every last one of the characters in this book is amazing in their own way. I loved learning more about them in the course of this book but there are still so many questions I need answers to.

As far as the characters go, no one makes a bigger impression that Alexia, the main character in this series. I loved her immediately and enjoyed her just as much five books later. She's the perfect strong female protagonist, tough, resourceful, and mouthy. But at the same time she's caring and reckless. I appreciated more than I thought I would seeing her as a mother. It was a different dimension for her. And on that note, Prudence? Baby Prudence was so fun. I am anticipating all the sass from her in the Custard Protocol, which I could not be happier about.

But while the characters are amazing, that's just the tip of he iceberg for this series. I continue to be incredibly impressed by the depth of this world. In every book we explore one more facet of the supernatural and steampunk Victorian era. It's such a perfect combination of Urban Fantasy and Historical Fiction. And the corner of the world we got to experience her was fascinating. I loved going to Egypt and learning more about the God-Breaker Plague, among other things. It combines history, mythology, and fantasy in such a brilliant way which I really enjoyed. Although I do still have a ton of questions about stuff.

And the plot too here was really compelling. It may not have been as thrilling as some of the other books but it was definitely engaging. As always there was an interesting mystery element that kept me guessing and a good amount of action scenes that had me on the edge of my seat. I also think it did a really good way of wrapping up the series by bringing back up and resolving elements that were introduced much earlier in the series. It didn't totally have an overarching plot point but it was complex enough that I enjoyed the callbacks and ultimate resolution.

All in all this was a really great read and a good ending to a series that I loved. It's been such a fun and exciting series to read. I wish I had read it years ago when I was first introduced to it but I'm glad that I took the time to read it now.

To be honest, I loved t so much that I'm not ready to let it go. I kind of want to now terra the Finishing School series and then read Prudence. Or maybe I'll read all the short stories! Oh Gail Carriger, I wish I knew how to quit you. No I don't. I never want to quit you!

I give Timeless by Gail Carriger 9 out of 10 stars


Buy/Borrow/Bypass: Buy. If you haven't read this series you absolutely need to. I totally loved it. It is the perfect comnbination of humorous and thrilling, history and fantasy. I absolutely loved it and cannot recommend it enough.

Have you read Timeless? What did you think? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

1 comment: