Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: New to Me Authors I First Read in 2016

A weekly meme by The Broke and Bookish

There are so many book and so little time, amiright? There are always popular authors that I have never read any books from. So here is a list of authors who I read for the first time this year and want to read more books from.

1.) Tamora Pierce
Books Read: The Song of the Lioness Quartet
Let's get the most shocking one out of the way early, shall we. I can't believe I waited until now to read Tamora Pierce. What was I doing in the 90's? Reading Michael Crichton and R.L. Stine that's what.

2.) Agatha Christie
Books Read: And Then There Were None
I can't believe it took me this long to read my first Agatha Christie. I love mysteries and I never read any of her books. I'm glad I could amend that this year and now I need to amend that further.

3.) Ruta Sepetys
Books Read: Salt to the Sea
For the longest time I was trying to avoid books set in World War II because I thought they weren't for me. But then I went and read a ton of them and realized there are some great ones. I still need to read Between Shades of Grey, though.

4.) Cat Winters
Books Read: The Steep and Thorny Way
I read a ton of really amazing Shakespeare retellings this year and this was one of them. Plus it was my first Cat Winters. But I need to read more. Why I haven't read her stuff sooner I have no idea.

5.) Diana Gabaldon
Books Read: Outlander
I have wanted to read Outlander for a long time but the amount of books intimidated me. But with the show coming out I finally read the first book, now I want to read all of them. If only they weren't so long. But the audio is great.

6.) Kiersten White
Books Read: And I Darken
I have wanted to read many of Kiersten's books for awhile now but I haven't actually done it until this spring when I read her genderbent Vlad the Impaler. It was really good and now I want to read more of her stuff.

7.) Ryan Graudin
Books Read: Wolf by Wolf and Blood for Blood
You may have noticed my gushing review of Blood for Blood yesterday. I was late to this series but I'm guessing I am no less fanatical. I seriously loved it and found it super creative. I need to read more of her books. Maybe start with The Walled City.

8.) Robin Talley
Books Read: Lies We Tell Ourselves and As I Descended
I had a copy of Lies We Tell Ourselves for nearly two years before finally reading it and I wish I had read it sooner. But I got me hooked on Robin Talley and then I read and loved As I Descended which is another of the amazing Shakespeare retellings of this year.

9.) Sharon Cameron
Books Read: The Forgetting
Oh man, I loved The Forgetting. It is another of my favorite reads of the year because it was just so super creative in the most unexpectedly amazing way. I really loved it and now I want to read more of Cameron's books. I hear good things too.

10.) Caroline Kepnas
Books Read: You and Hidden Bodies
The audiobooks for these were really amazing and super messed up. I mean You freaked me out in the best possible way. This series has the most terrible antihero who is also super compelling and the audio is narrated amazingly well by Santino Fontana.

11.)  Lindsay Ribar
Books Read: Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies
Another one of my favorite books of the year that makes my list because it was so freaking weird and creative in the best possible way. I love the spin the author takes on fantasy with this book and I kind of want to find out if her other books are as good.

12.) Mindy McGinnis
Books Read: The Female of the Species
I have wanted to read McGinnis' books for some time now and despite owning both Not A Drop to Drink and A Madness So Discreet, the first book of hers I read was The Female of the Species. But I really like it (and reviewed it yesterday) so now I have to read her other books.

Those are all the new to me authors that I want to read more books from. Which authors did you read for the first time this year? Did any of these make your list? Have you read any of these authors? Which of these authors have you read? Which of their books do you recommend? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

7 comments:

  1. I feel like for most of these authors I was only a year ahead of you, except for Agatha Christie because I've been a fan of Dame Christie for years and years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruta was on my list too! I can't wait to read her backlist! I'm so glad you loved the forgetting!! I really liked her dark unwinding series so you should definitely try it!! I've been meaning to read Tamara pierce for FOREVER. As a huge fantasy fan I can't believe I've never read her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruta was on my list too! I can't wait to read her backlist! I'm so glad you loved the forgetting!! I really liked her dark unwinding series so you should definitely try it!! I've been meaning to read Tamara pierce for FOREVER. As a huge fantasy fan I can't believe I've never read her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agatha Christie was on my list as well. And Then There Were None is a wonderful mystery and was mad at myself for waiting so long to read her. Great top ten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOh nice! I STILL want to read You! Just need to get a copy! LOL! I really enjoyed Kiersten White's first trilogy she wrote, and despite trying to read the new series after that, I've fallen behind on her books. Mostly because they didn't really intrigue me. Now And I Darken is definitely one I want to check out! Maybe once the final book comes out I will give the first one a go! Great picks!!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read an Agatha Christie either! I think I have seen a play based on one of her books, lol though I am not sure that that counts. I'll definitely keep an eye out for her books this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the opposite of you, I've read Between Shades of Grey, but not Salt to The Sea. I really want to read Salt To The Sea though!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/12/06/top-ten-tuesday-86/

    ReplyDelete