Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Books of 2016

A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

1.) Bands of Morning by Brandon Sanderson - My Review
This should not come as a surprise, I am a huge Brandon Sanderson fan. And despite the fact that I read this way back in January it has stayed by favorite book of the year because Mistborn!

2.) Wolf by Wolf and Blood for Blood by Ryan Graudin - My Review
I was not expecting to enjoy this series as much as I did. But it was really amazing. Great characters, tons of action, and a fascinating world. Definitely a new favorite.

3.) The Midnight Star by Marie Lu - My Review
This was one of my most anticipated books for 2016 and it did not disappoint. Just as I was suspecting this was a dark fantasy full of crazy reveals and a heartbreaking ending.

4.) This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab - My Review
I'm a big fan of Victoria Schwab and I knew her next series would be amazing. Nobody writes odious and complex characters like Victoria so a book about literal monsters was bound to be fantastic.

5.) The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid - My Review
I really enjoyed Kincaid's first series but oh wow was this book even better. It was so complex and the plot and themes were amazingly complex. This book totally blew me away.

6.) Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston - My Review
This was a year full of amazing night Shakespeare retellings for me and this book was the one who started it all. It was a really great contemporary issue kind of book and a great retelling.

7.) Ghostly Echoes by William Ritter - My Review
Jackaby books always make my favorites of the year. They are so complex and engaging. It's the perfect combination of history, mystery, and fantasy. This one was not my favorite but it was amazing.

8.) Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff - My Review
Obviously this was another super weird book. This series is just so creatively written with the images/epistolary format but add to that the fact that I listened to the audio and you have the perfect storm of amazingness.

9.) Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas - My Review
Throne of Glass books are amazing and this series is totally among my favorites. The series is nearing it's end so obviously it is incredibly intense by now. This was definitely an intense and action-packed read.

10.) The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron - My Review
I was totally surprised by this book. I went in thinking it was going to be more of a standard dystopia but it was much more complicated than that. I don't want to give too much away but it was amazing.


11.) Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies by Lindsay Ribar My Review 
One of the weirdest books I read this year and I loved that about it. It also had a really good mystery, a unique fantasy world, and unlikable characters which I typically enjoy.

12.) The Raven King by Maggie Steifvater - My Review
The last book in the Raven Cycle was bound to be in this list. I absolutely love this series. There were all kinds of crazy twists and reveals, naturally, and it really was the perfect ending.


13.) The Skylighter by Becky Wallace - My Review
The first book in this duology was one of my favorite books last year and it's sequel was just as good. I really loved this series. It's such a unique YA fantasy and I loved how complex and thrilling it was.

14.) You and Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes - My Review
I had heard great things about this mystery series and I picked up the audiobooks from the library because I wanted to check them out. They were so dark and vicious.

15.) Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco - My Review
The only debut that made my list. It was such an great historical mystery. I loved how dark and mysterious it was and I actually enjoyed the Sherlockian elements as well and I usually do not enjoy Sherlock.


16.) Truthwitch by Susan Dennard - My Review
This was my first book of 2016 and still is one of my favorites. It's such an interesting fantasy and even though it's the first book in a series which usually I don't love, this one was really good.

There you have it,my favorite books of 2016. What books made your list? Leave me a comment withyour thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Bands of Mourning - I read it in the start of the year as well and it definitely belongs to my favourites :) Love the character development in it!

    ReplyDelete