Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Crossing Over - Stories About Super (Anti-) Heroes


You guys, yesterday I finished reading Firefirght by Brandon Sanderson, the second book in the Reckoners series (thanks again Mark for sharing the ARC you won). I can't say much until the book releases in January but I can say that it is a completely brilliant book. If you read and enjoyed Steelheart, you are in for a treat with Firefight. If you haven't read it yet, stop wasting your time and get prepared to love this series. I would like to encourage you by comparing it to another brilliant book that you may have read.


Vicious by Victoria Schwab - My Review
(Amazon / Goodreads / Audible)
Vicious is a complex and interesting story about people who have superpowers and don't necessarily use them for good. There is a lot of exploration of power and control along with that old concept that "power corrupts." In addition the book is full of complex and interesting characters and a "magical system" that is rooted in logic and science. And with a thrilling plot and shocking twists, Vicious is definitely worth the read.

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson - My Review
(Amazon / Goodreads /Audible)
Steelheart is a complex and interesting story about people who have superpowers and don't necessarily use them for good. There is a lot of exploration of power and control along with that old concept that "power corrupts." But my favorite thing about it is that it cuts through those dramatic moments with such humor. In addition the book is full of complex and interesting characters and a "magical system" that, like all Brandon Sanderson's book is brilliant and mindblowing. And with a thrilling plot and shocking twists, Steelheart is definitely worth the read.

In addition I actually experienced both of these books as audiobooks and I totally recommend them. With Vicious the narrator perfectly captures the atmosphere and mystery within this world and with Steelheart the narrator perfectly captures the characters (a ragtag group of diverse characters full of humor and heart). So if you like audiobooks, here are two you should check out!

So there you have it. Two great books about superheroes not using their powers for good making them quite compelling anti-heroes. I definitely recommend The Reckoners series so if you haven't read Steelheart yet, check it out and get read for Firefight which comes out on January 6th, 2015

5 comments:

  1. Firefight came out already??? OMFG I absolutely loved Steelheart and have been waiting for the second book to return in bookstores. I can't believe you read it as well. You're like the first blogger i came upon that has read that book. We must talk about that ending!!! I'm going to barnes and Noble right now to get Firefight!!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just Kidding it's not out yet D:

      I can't wait to hear your review in January though!

      Delete
  2. I have Steelheart and thought it sounded very different and interesting- can't wait to pick it up! I've heard a lot of good things about Vicious too, so I think I'll have to read that one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I actually have Steelheart in my kindle but I have yet to read it. Good to know you've enjoyed it! That means I'll probably enjoy it too - and I'm looking forward to reading it soon-ish!

    Isabelle @ Isabelle's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a perfect post Cassie!! You really hit the nail on the head with those 2 books!! I adore them both with all my little heart!! Great post!
    ~Britt @kalebsmome

    ReplyDelete