Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - New to Me Authors

A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

So this was my first full year of blogging and one thing I have realized is how the more time I spend in the blogosphere, the more books I add to my TBR. Now don't get me wrong I found some amazing books this year by reading other blogs and seeing on Twitter what everyone was raving about. This year I added some great new authors to my list and read some phenomenal series. Seriously, most of the books I read this year are from new to me authors. So here is the list of ten authors who were new to me this year and now I need to read more of their books!

1.) Brandon Sanderson
Books Read: Steelheart, Mitosis, Firefight (currently), Mistborn: The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension, The Hero of Ages, Legion, Legion: Skin Deep
Yes friends, that I read a total of eight Sanderson books this year. Sure three of them are short stories but regardless, that is impressive. But then again, Brandon Sanderson is impressive. His worlds are phenomenal, his characters are amazing, and those plot twists? UGH! Read him if you haven't! 

This year I read the Throne of Glass series and it was everything I had hoped it would be. A fantastic YA fantasy with a creative world and a thrilling plot. I'm so excited to continue with this series and of course read A Court of Thorns and Roses.

3.) Maggie Steivfater 
Books Read: The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Blue Lily Lily Blue.
I actually met Maggie when she came to Pittsburgh without ever having read any of her books. I regret that decision. One thing I do not regret is that I have now amended that. I read the Raven Boys series this year and loved it. I need to read more Maggie Steivfater. I'm thinking The Scorpio Races.

4.) Leigh Bardugo
Books Read: Shadow and Bone, Siege and Storm, Ruin and Rising
This is a series I got into solely because of book blogging. And when I read it last winter I realized why! Leigh is a great YA fantasy writer and created not only great characters but a creative world that won't overwhelm you. I'm excited to explore it some more in Six of Crows

5.) Alexandra Bracken
Books Read: The Darkest Minds, Never Fade, In the Afterlight
A month later and I'm not completely over the feels from the way this series ended. I am so in love with this world, the action-packed plot, and of course the characters. Two of my favorite OTPs are in this series! I can't wait to read Alex's new series about time travel!

6.) Marissa Meyer
Books Read: Cinder, Scarlet, Cress
Another series I read because of blogging that I was so glad I did. These are some of the most creative fairy tale retellings I have ever experienced not to mention this amazing Science Fiction world. I'm so excited for Fairest and Winter next year, but not excited for this series to end!

7.) Kate Forsyth
Books Read: Bitter Greens
Speaking of creative fairy tale retellings. Bitter Greens has been on my list for awhile and was a total amazing shock to get a copy at BEA. Of course I read it and loved it! It's so dark and tawdry! Ever since I read it I seriously won't shut up about it but it's my top book of the year!

8.) Victoria Schwab
Books Read: Vicious
Don't attack me for not having read The Archived! I'll get to it. I did however read and love Vicious! I love a good anti-hero story and this is a brilliant one. I loved the characters, the world, and the "magical system" that was both fantastical and logical! I'm super excited for A Darker Shade of Magic now!

9.) Lauren Oliver
Books Read: Rooms
I was so completely blown away by Lauren Oliver's writing when I read Rooms. It was gorgeous and poetic. Add that to a plot that was complex and intricate and an atmospheric mood and I was hooked. I need to read some more of her stuff. I'm excited for Vanishing Girls coming out next year but also some backlist stuff to try like Before I Fall and Panic.

10.) Marie Lu
Books Read: The Young Elites
I've wanted to read Legend for some time now and actually regret not reading it during my dystopia month. But I did read TYE and was so captivated by it. It was brutal and aggressive at the same time as being emotional and sentimental. Another one of my favorite books of the year and I now can't wait for more Marie Lu!

What about you? What are some new to you authors that you read this year and want to read more books from? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

10 comments:

  1. Marie Lu made my list as well, and you have a few that are waiting for me to discover for the first time on my TBR. If you haven't read Marissa Meyer's novellas for the Lunar Chronicles you should definitely check them out. They're short but well worth it, and can be read for free on the authors Watpad. I haven't read the newest short story about Throne yet.. I don't know what's wrong with me =/ lol
    Monique @ Mo_BooksMonique @ Mo_Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I read Maggie Steivfater for the first time this year also. I have not read The Raven Boys yet (it is on my TBR list), but I did read her Shiver series. She is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOh nice! I couldn't get into ToG myself but definitely want to read her new series next year!

    And ooh Marissa Meyer! I finally gave her a second shot after not totally loving Cinder and totally fell in love with the series thereafter!

    I loved Marie Lu's Legend trilogy and still have mixed feelings over the Young Elites.

    I enjoyed Maggie's Wolves of Mercy series but didn't read Raven Boys, wasn't necessarily compelled to pick that one up. Though I did read Leigh Bardugo and loved that trilogy and omg that ending?!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recognized so many of these authors, I just haven't got to them yet. I've heard wonderful things about Marie Lu, Lauren Oliver, Marissa Meyer, Alexandra Bracken and Victoria Schwab is basically my spirit animal on twitter. But I have read Sarah J. Maas' Throne of Glass and I hope to read the rest of her books during the holidays. She has an amazing writing style *o* I've read the Shiver series years ago and didn't really like it but I've read Sinner recently and absolutely loved it but that's the only book I've ever enjoyed by her. Everyone raves about The Raven Boys series but I just couldn't get into it because I just find her writing style so boring. Nice list though! :3

    Here's my Top Ten: https://bookrambles.wordpress.com/2014/12/09/top-ten-new-to-me-authors-i-read-in-2014/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow amazing list here! Lauren Oliver also made my list but I have read so many authors here already and love them! Brandon Sanderson, Sarah J Maas and Marissa Meyer are all amazing authors! Loved their books!

    Becca @ Lost in Thought
    My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sanderson is on my list too, largely thanks to you! Sarah J. Maas would have been on my list... but I discovered her in 2013. She's awesome, though. So glad you're liking the ToG series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to read the Legend series! I've seen so many amazing things :D I have become so obsessed with the Throne of Glass series this year. Sarah J. Maas is pure awesomeness, and yay for a Court of Thrones and Roses next year :D It'll help with the wait for ToG #4 :D And I love the Lunar Chronicles! I need to read Cress ASAP, before Fairrest is released. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BARDUGO!!!!!!!!! I have my precious Ruin and Rising, that Brittersweet gave me for my birthday, still to read after I finish my next review book. Someone posted "the"'spoiler in the comment section of a no spoilers blog review though, bah, but I am still excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maggie Steivfater, Marie Lu & Marissa Meyer are three amazing writes that I've fallen in love with this year!

    Here's mine if you would like to read it - http://wonderstruck-kcks.blogspot.com/2014/12/top-ten-new-to-me-authors-i-read-in-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eight Sanderson books! I'm beyond impressed! Sanderson was on my list too, but I only managed to read Way of Kings (though that monster of a book should count as eight, right?)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete