Wednesday, December 3, 2014

November Recap and December TBR

Read in November
I decided to make November my catch-up month and go without a theme. In the past that let me read books I was excited about and ARCa that didn't fit a theme. And while I got to do that this November, I wasn't quite blown away by all by one book this months, though many of them were good reads. Here is the full list of books I read in November.

1.) In the Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken
Rating: 9 out of 10 [Full Review]
2.) The Map to Everywhere by Carrie Ryan and John Parke Davies Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [Full Review]
3.) Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger
Rating: 7.5 out of 10 [Full Review]
4.) The Job by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg
Rating: 9 out of 10 [Full Review]
5.) Legion by Brandon Sanderson
Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [Full Review]
6.) The Young Elites by Marie Lu
Rating: 9.5 out of 10  [Full Review]
7.) Curtsies & Conspiracies by Gail Carriger
Rating: 8 out of 10 [Full Review]
8.) Waistcoats & Weaponry by Gail Carriger
Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [Full Review]
9.) Legion: Skin Deep by Brandon Sanderson
Rating: 9 out of 10 [Full Review]
10.) Exquisite Captive by Heather Demetrios
Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [Full Review]

Other Posts

To Read in December: Science Fiction Theme
This month's theme is Science Fiction. And I am trying to stick to more traditional science fiction. So while Dystopia is considered SciFi I'm staying clear of that subgenre. I'm thinking time travel, parallel universes, space odysseys. I haven't read much of that lately and there is a lot of really great stuff coming out in the SciFi avenue so I'm excited to check it out.

ARCs that Fit the Theme


1.) Zodiac by Romina Russell - Add to Goodreads
This one is the start of a new series that is a space adventure with worlds based on astrology. I'm really intrigued and excited about this one despite hearing some mixed reviews.

2.) This Shattered World by Aime Kaufman and Meagan Spooner - Add to Goodreads
I was blown away by These Broken Stars and I'm so excited to continue with this series. I'm expecting another mindblowing plot, new complex characters, and unlikely romance.

3.) The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon - Add to Goodreads
I loved the world of The Bone Season and found it much more Science Fictiony than I expected. Plus it looks like this one will be more about what's happening in London which I'm excited about.

ARCs that Don't Fit the Theme


4.) Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay - Add to Goodreads
I finished this one the other day and it's an interesting YA high fantasy and fairy tale retelling with a swoony romance. (Review coming tomorrow) 

5.) Beautiful Curse by Jen McConnel - Add to Goodreads
This is my current read and so far I'm enjoying this paranormal romance that is a modern retelling of the myth of Cupid and Psyche. 

6.) The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant - Add to Goodreads
I got a last minute ARC of this one but it sounds really good. It's historical fiction about a woman telling her story about growing up in Boston in the early 20th Century.

Series to Marathon - Insignia Trilogy by S.J. Kincaid


7.) Insignia by S.J. Kincaid - Add to Goodreads
8.) Vortex by S.J. Kincaid - Add to Goodreads
9.) Catalyst by S.J. Kincaid - Add to Goodreads
This series has been called "Hogwarts in space" which I'm on board for. It sounds like a good space adventure series with an interesting world and complex characters so I'm excited. 

Backup Books


- A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray - Add to Goodreads
This one was on the list but then I got some last minute ARCs and it got bumped but I'm still excited about reading this book about parallel universes.

- Dissonance by Ericka O'Rourke - Add to Goodreads
I've heard really good things about this book that is also about parallel universes and it was on the list for my SciFi month but it also got bumped for some ARCs

- And Another Thing by Eoin Colfer - Add to Goodreads
I'm a big fan of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series and I initially didn't want to read this "sequel" but I got a really cheap copy and then a friend who liked the series recommended it.

How about you? What are you planning on reading in December? Have you read any of these books? What did you think? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had an awesome month of reading in November! Hopefully December will go well for you. :) This Shattered World is amazing. I hope you love it! Happy reading, lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle! I'm so excited for This Shattered World. More time to explore that crazy Science Fiction world? Yes, please! I'm glad you loved it. It gives me hope.

      Delete
  2. Dissonance is SO GOOD, you should definitely try to get to it ;-). I just started This Shattered World yesterday and it is different but fun so far :D I'm so happy you loved the Legion books, I'll be listening to the second one next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that DIssonance is really good. I want to get to it. With the holidays I should have some more time to read so we'll see. Oh and I hope you enjoy the Legion books! They're good.

      Delete