Wednesday, December 4, 2013

December TBR: A (Mostly) Supernatural Christmas

So far I've been liking the idea of having a theme for the books I read each month. It helps me explore a genre and keeps me from reading a million books at once and not finishing a series like I tend to do. So when I was planning out what to read in December it seemed obvious... Christmas books. Tis the season as they say. So planned out my books and I noticed another trend within most of them. Most of them have an element of the supernatural. They have witches, magic, werewolves, murderous thieves, and other monsters. When I realized this I gave a hearty chuckle (much like Santa Clause) and realized that reading Supernatural fiction is my style. I get a little sick of the schmaltz factor of the Christmas season so this is a good way to balance this out.

My Classic
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Goodreads Amazon
Synopsis: The story of four women and their passage to adulthood 

So clearly this is not Supernatural. I'm just a sucker for this book. I've been known to audibly sob at certain parts and I'm just taking the opportunity to read it again and balance out the supernatural stories. I realize the obvious choice here is A Christmas Carol but that's too obvious for me!



My Recent Fiction Choice 
Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith
Goodreads Amazon
Synopsis: The true story of the Three Kings of the Nativity, a murderous band of thieves.

This will be my third book by Seth Grahame-Smith. I loved the other too and their take on classic stories. This is their take on the biblical tale of the Three Wise Men. I've heard really excellent things about this book and hear it's an action thriller full of violence so obviously I can't wait. And let's face it Biblical times in the Middle East were pretty barbaric!

My Young Adult Choice
The Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray
Rebel Angel Goodreads Amazon
The Sweet Far Thing Goodreads Amazon
Synopsis: A series about a girl attending elite private school with a secret, she has the power to travel to a magical realm. In the first book she released the magic but now she has to decide what to do with it.

I really liked the first book in the series, A Great and Terrible Beauty. It was full of mystery, suspense, and interesting characters. The second book Rebel Angels takes place at Christmas so I've been holding off finishing the series till now.

My Audiobook
The Wolves of Midwinter by Anne Rice
Goodreads Amazon
Synopsis: The continuation of the Wolf Gift Chronicles where the main character explores his werewolf powers during the holy yuletide season.

I actually did not know this was a sequel and I guess I should probably experience the first one first. I saw this book at a bookstore and thought it would be an interesting audiobook and it fit in with my theme this month. I've never read any Anne Rice and think it's about time I get on that so I'm taking the leap and will probably listen to both audiobooks this month.

1 comment:

  1. I like your choices. I like to read a Christmas-y book with a twist every year. Last year, I read a Hercule Poirot murder mystery that happened on Christmas.

    ReplyDelete