Monday, December 2, 2013

Wrap Up: November

The month has come to a close, and let me tell you, it was an interesting one. I'm am insanely proud of myself for what I have accomplished. It was my first time taking part in NaNoWriMo and I wasn't really sure how I would do and... MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! I won, I wrote 50,280 words of a novel. I know a lot of people don't get that far and I'm pretty proud of myself. I'm not finished but I know where I'm going with it so my plan is to take a few days of a break and then finish it. I'm not really interested in publishing it but it was really fun to write it. I'll probably do it again next year, this experience has really got the creative juices flowing! I'm also proud of that because on top of work, family time, and writing I still managed to read three books and listen to two audiobooks. I kind of underestimated myself and ended up reading an extra book in addition to the ones I had planned.

QUICK REVIEWS


Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Full Review
Rating: 9 out of 10
Quick Review: Great Contemporary novel with interesting and characters you can relate to. A story that is the perfect combination of fluffy and thought-provoking. The ending felt a little rushed and it left me wanting more, but on the whole a great read.




The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
Full Review
Rating: 8.5 out of 10
Quick Review: Historical Fiction about comic books! The book had phenomenal writing and unique storytelling, you easily become attached to the characters and want them to win in the end, which was a bit in satisfying.





Allegiant by Veronica Roth
Full Review
Rating: 8 out of 10
Quick Review: The final book in an amazing series. Great world-building, page-turning action, thought-provoking, and complicated characters that are flawed but likable. It was a heart-wrenching read but a satisfying if not bittersweet ending to the series.




The Magician King by Lev Grossman
Full Review
Rating: 9 out 10
Quick Review: The second book in a series that takes identifiable fantasy stories and turns them on their heads. It's an epic adventure story and heroes journey that addresses a lot of relatable themes and continues to build an interesting world. The characters are complex and flawed but you still want them to succeed. The ending has a shocking twist and makes me really want to read the final book.




Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Full Review
Rating: 8.5 out of 10
Quick Review: an engrossing tale about an 80's pop culture induced adventure within a video game. The characters are interesting and likable, ithr plot is full of action, and there are numerous topical issues people today are faced with as technology. The flow was a bit slow at times but an amazing read on the whole.


It was a great month of reading, I read some of my favorite books of the year. Clearly there is a trend that I like an relate to geek type characters, and enjoy stories that have larger themes about society and humanity. Check out the full review for each book and let me know your thoughts on them. Tell me about what you read in the comments section and of course... HAPPY READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment