Monday, February 12, 2018

Audiobook Review: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander (or J.K. Rowling)

Title: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Written by: Newt Scamander/J/K. Rowling
Published: Revised Edition March 11, 2017 by Pottermore

(Amazon / Goodreads)

Synopsis: A brand new edition of this essential companion to the Harry Potter stories, with a new foreword from J.K. Rowling (writing as Newt Scamander), and 6 new beasts!

A set textbook at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry since publication, Newt Scamander’s masterpiece has entertained wizarding families through the generations. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is an indispensable introduction to the magical beasts of the wizarding world. Scamander’s years of travel and research have created a tome of unparalleled importance. Some of the beasts will be familiar to readers of the Harry Potter books – the Hippogriff, the Basilisk, the Hungarian Horntail...Others will surprise even the most ardent amateur Magizoologist. Dip in to discover the curious habits of magical beasts across five continents… .

This is going to be a short and sweet review because this was a short and sweet book. I have been wanting to read this for awhile but I had never picked up the book but then I snagged the audiobook and it was the perfect time to listen with my dragon themed month. So I listened to the audio on a few drives and I am glad I did.

The fun thing about this audiobook is that it is narrated by Eddie Redmayne who plays Newt Scamander in the Fantastic Beasts movies. It gave it a really fun feel to it. Eddie has a very distinct voice so it t really felt like Newt was the one narrating the book and therefore writing it. Narrator is so important when it comes to an audiobook so I really appreciated that got such a specific and good narrator for this one.

As far as the content, it was cool to learn more about the beasts and beings featured in Harry Potter. Unsurprisingly certain creatures had more information about them. For example there was a lot of dragons, phoenixes, hippogriffs, centaurs, and other ones that feature heavily in the actual series. But other creatures didn't have much information at all. I think the point is supposed to be that we don't know much about these kinds of creatures but as a reader I would have liked to learn more. I would have especially liked there to be more about the new creatures. You can tell the ones that were added as part of the movie tie in. I liked being able to learn about Thunderbirds and Horned-Serpents but they almost felt like an afterthoughts. I know I can't  expect massive amounts of information but I just wanted more.

But as a big fan of the Harry Potter series that was a great read and listen. It was nice to get some additional information and context that makes an already interesting and deep world seem even deeper. I think fans of the series who have not taken the time to read the book should definitely do that if for no other reason than to level up your fandom cred.


I give Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling 8.5 out of 10 stars


Buy/Borrow/Bypass: Buy. I definitely recommends this book to Harry Potter fans. And if you are fan of audiobooks and you are looking for one that is short and sweet for a trip I think this is worth it for that,

Have you read Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them? What did you think? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I saw the print version of this book at Walmart and really wanted it, but it was too expensive. I’m on the lookout for a used copy. It’s such a pretty book. I’m glad you liked it!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own a boxed set of the three books but I haven't read them yet. I really want to, though. This audiobook narrated by Eddie Redmayne sounds like perfection! ♥

    ReplyDelete