Monday, November 4, 2013

November TBR: Geek Books and NaNoWriMo

Hey Everyone, before I get started in sharing what I plan to read this month I want to explain why it is a little less extensive than my usual or planned readings.

For those of you who did not know November is National Novel Writing Month or NaNoWriMo. The goal of this month being that aspiring writers can take the opportunity to pen (key?) a 50,000 word novel during these 30 days. There are published writers who serve as mentors and coaches, writing challenges, forums, and a prize at the end. I've never actually considered myself an aspiring writer. I've never really wanted to write a book. I'm not a very good writer. I am however an idea person. I have always had an overactive imagination. I come up with a loads of ideas for things I would think would make great books, movies, songs, etc. I never however want to write them myself so that's where it always stays... an idea. So about a year ago I had this million dollar idea for a book. I'm not sure where or how the idea came to me it was just there in my head, fully-formed. Every time I tell anyone about my idea they tell me how great it sounds. And I mean everyone. Even those people who are notoriously doubters and spoilsports tell me it's a good idea.

So I've decided to make it happen. The book is called Murder House for Sale and it is about a bad real estate agent who is evicted from his apartment the same day he is told by his boss that if he doesn't sell a house he is going to be fired. Having nowhere to go he decides to move into the house he's trying to sell so he can devote his full attention to selling it. When he arrives there in the dead of night he is met with quite a shock, a freshly dead body. He can't tell the police because then he'll never be able to sell the house and he'll lose his job. In a moment of impulsive thought he decides to try and solve the murder himself and sell the house at the same time. As you can imagine.. hi-jinx ensue.

It's day four and I'm about 10,000 words in. I can't describe how fun and easy it has been so far. The words are just flowing out of me. Like I said, the idea just popped into my head fully formed. I did have a few people ask me probing question to be able to understand some of the minute details of the story but I'm really excited. I hope it turns out well. I'm not really expecting much of anything to come out of it but it's just fun to get it all written down.

If you are interested in getting involved in NaNoWriMo it's not too late, check out the site for more information! NaNoWriMo

NOW, ON WITH THE SHOW....

For the month of November I have plans to read four books, two of them will be audiobooks though.

The first is the one I am most excited about...

Title: Fangirl
Author: Rainbow Rowell.
Published:St Martin's Griffin, 2013
Target Audience: Young Adult
Goodreads               Amazon

The synopis is to too long to post but it's about Cath, a girl who is deep into the fandom of Simon Snow, writing one of it's most popular fanfiction. It got her through some really tough times. But now that she is starting her freshman year of college is she ready to leave Simon Snow behind or does she still need the fandom?

This book popped up on my recommendations from Amazon shortly after it came out. The premise sounded amazing and like my freshman year of college. I added it to my wishlist and moved on from there (I hate hardcovers and wanted to wait for it to be in paperback). But the book has been exploding in the book reviewing internet community. Not to mention I heard that Rainbow Rowell actually wrote most of it during NaNoWriMo. It seems sufficiently engaging and light enough that I can read it while I write. I am about halfway through the book and I already love it!


Title: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
Author: Michael Chabon
Published: Random House, 2000
Target Audience: Adult
Goodreads                Amazon

Synopsis:  Joe Kavalier, a young Jewish artist who has also been trained in the art of Houdini-esque escape, has just smuggled himself out of Nazi-invaded Prague and landed in New York City. His Brooklyn cousin Sammy Clay is looking for a partner to create heroes, stories, and art for the latest novelty to hit America - the comic book. Drawing on their own fears and dreams, Kavalier and Clay create the Escapist, the Monitor, and Luna Moth, inspired by the beautiful Rosa Saks, who will become linked by powerful ties to both men. With exhilarating style and grace, Michael Chabon tells an unforgettable story about American romance and possibility.

I heard about this book a few years ago from a channel I subscribe to on YouTube (shout out to Will and RJ at Shep689) who no longer makes book review videos. It sounded really interesting and like something I would really enjoy. I'm pretty excited about reading about the creation of comic books during their golden age when it was basically propaganda. Also it won the Pulitzer Prize so it must be well-written.

 
This month I will be reading two audiobooks. Because for one thing, I need to read Allegiant and I don't want to buy the hardcover. I would listen to it when I drive to my parent's house for Thanksgiving but I can't wait that long!


Title: Allegiant (Divergent Trilogy Book 3)
Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books, 2013
Target Audience: Young Adult
Goodreads                Amazon

Synopsis: The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

This series has been incredible so far and I really hope this final book doesn't let me down. I've heard there are some pretty seriously unexpected twists and a death that even the author regrets. I'm pretty excited to experience it. 

 Title: Ready Player One 
Author: Ernest Cline
Publisher: Broadway Books, 2012
Target Audience: Young Adult?
Goodreads               Amazon

Synopsis:  In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines—puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

This is another book that has exploded in the book reviewing community. Everyone seems to have read and reviewed it. It is another one that I added to my wishlist and then moved one. But then when I heard that the audiobook was read by Wil Wheaton I was sold. So this is my Road Trip Read.

As I'm presenting all of these together I just realized there is kind of a trend or theme again this month, they're very nerdtastic! So apparently this month I'm reading Geek Books!

If you've read any of these books please leave me a comment, stay tuned for my reviews, and as always... HAPPY READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment