Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Crossing Over - Contemporary With a Twist

This is the meme formerly known as "Recommending Adult Books." I haven't done one of these in awhile, but when I thought about doing one today I decided that a name change was in order. There's been so much YA hate going on lately and I didn't want to imply one was better than another. For me there's so much crossover. Young Adult is a marketing tool based often just on the age range of the MC. You often appreciate a book even if you aren't it's target audience.

So here are two books with crossover appeal. They have similar tones and characters, both are Contemporary with a twist.


We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
Amazon  -  Goodreads  -  My Review
We Were Liars is the story of a wealthy family with a dark secret. The book takes place over the course of two summers at the family's beach front mansion and explores the idea that upper class families may not have it all together. Told from the perspective of an unreliable narrator trying to find out the truth the book has a dark and ominous tone leaving the reader questioning everything and wondering what in the world could be going on here!

The Infinities by John Banville
Amazon  -  Goodreads
The Infinities is the story of a wealthy family with a dark secret. The book takes place over the course of a summer day at the family's country mansion and explores the idea that upper class families may not have it all together. They come together as their patriarch is on his death bed to learn the truth and comfort one another despite the fact that they have never been very good at that. But there is so much more going on here. The narrator for most of the book is not quite normal and while he's not unreliable you still get a sense of ominous confusion.

When I was reading We Were Liars I was instantly reminded of The Infinities which I had read a few years before. They are both great contemporary books with gorgeous writing and interesting twists. We Were Liars is much more of a mystery then The Infinites but they both kept me interested and hooked from beginning to end. If you liked We Were Liars check out The Infinities or vice versa!

And check out my other Crossing Over posts where I recommend Mystery and Science Fiction novels with crossover appeal! HAPPY READING!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't really like We Were Liars, but I do like my mysteries in fiction novels and The Infinities sound highly intriguing. Maybe I'll have better luck with it? Good idea for a post by the way.

    ReplyDelete