Wednesday, July 30, 2014

July Wrap Up & August TBR

I was planning on posting this tomorrow but I need an extra day to finish my current read (The Good Girl) so I bumped this up a day.

Read in July
July was kind of a slow reading month for me. Life got in the way and I went through a bit of a reading slump caused by temporarily losing one of my most anticipated books of the year. But I was able to read a total of 9 books and am very close to finishing a 10th book. Okay so it's eight books but I will finish 9 by the end of the month.. And now that I say it, that is a good month. 

1.) Landline by Rainbow Rowell
Rating: 9 out of 10 Full Review
2.) The Awakening of Miss Prim 
by Natalie Sanmartin Fenorella
Rating: 8.5 out of 10 Full Review
3.) Looking for Alaska by John Green
Rating: 9 out of 10 Full Review
4.) Vicious by V.E. Schwab
Rating: 9 out of 10 Full Review
5.) The Kiss of Deception by Mary Pearson
Rating: 7.5 out of 10 Full Review
6.) Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 
Rating: 9.5 out of 10 Full Review
7.) A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
Rating: 9 out of 10 Full Review
8.) The Fracking King by James Browning
Rating: 6 out of 10 Full Review
9.) The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
Rating: ??? Full Review to Come
10.) The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman
Rating: ??? Full Review to Come


To Be Read in August: Historical Fiction
So first things first I will be taking part in an amazing and very cool challenge hosted by Octavia and Shelley over at Read.Sleep.Repeat called ARC August. The goal of the challenge is to tackle that giant pile of ARCs and that Netgalley or Edelweiss Queue that have just been sitting there unread. I have barely made a dent in my BEA ARCs and I keep requesting eARCs on Netgalley even though I have tons that I haven't read. So I am taking part in the the challenge. So most of my planned books this month are ARCs and I hope to read at least five of them.

Now onto my theme! This month I will be reading one of my absolute favorite genres, Historical Fiction. It was originally going to be historical fantasy but then I realized my theme for next month and decided to stick with straight Historical Fiction. I know a lot of fellow bloggers are just getting in to Historical Fiction but I love it and I'm really excited to read a lot of different books and hopefully you can find some you may be interested in. Here's the list!

ARCs from Netgalley


1.) Dear Daughter by Elizabeth Little - Add to Goodreads
This one doesn't fit the theme, it's a mystery/thriller but it's an ARC 
2.) Grace and the Guiltless by Erin Johnson - Add to Goodreads
A YA Historical Fiction set in the Wild Wild West with a kickass female heroine? Yes, please!
3.) Neverhome by Laird Hunt- Add to Goodreads
I'm so intrigued by this book about a woman who disguises herself as a soldier when her husband leaves for the American Civil War. I usually love those kinds of stories!

Physical ARCs


1.) Salt and Storm by Kendall Kulper - Add to Goodreads
YA Historical Fantasy about whaling and a witch who has to live in a non-magical world. Also the phrase "tattooed harpoon boy" is a serious draw!
2.) Jackaby by William Ritter - Add to Goodreads
A supernatural detective in Victorian England. I cannot wait to read this one!

The Classic


One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - Add to Goodreads
My original theme was historical fantasy and this is classic Historical Fantasy!

The Series 


1.) Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard - Add to Goodreads
2.) A Darkness Strange and Lovely by Susan Dennard - Add to Goodreads
3.) Strange and Ever After by Susan Dennard- Add to Goodreads
The final book just came out so I'm really excited to binge read this steampunk series about zombie fighting in the Victorian era. I've heard nothing but good things!

What have you read in July and what are you planning to read in August? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING! 

5 comments:

  1. ARC August is going to be so fun! I hope you enjoy Jackaby, it looks so good. I haven't read any of the books on your August list but it looks impressive :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I'm really excited for ARC August. Octavia and Shelley are so fabulous I can't wait to see what they have planned.

      Delete
  2. Your July has been been amazing -- where reading is concerned. Even if you could've pushed for me, closing the month with 9 or 10 books read is success to me. :) I really look forward to your thoughts on the Something Strange and Deadly trilogy! I still need to read the last installment. I'll be getting to it in August as well. The first two books were excellent! Great post!

    Happy Reading! :)

    Marlene @ The Flyleaf Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my first thought about not having a good month was because I had a huge first two weeks and then a lull so I forgot that I had already read six books by the middle of the month! I'm really excited to start Something Strange and Deadly (this weekend) and I will definitely tweet you with my thoughts, especially on the last book.

      Delete
  3. Oh the Susan Dennard series is all done huh? I'll have to give it a try - the only other victorian zombie book I read was Dearly Beloved, I enjoyed the first not so much the second.

    I totally plan to read Jackaby as well! let me grab that off the shelf....

    ReplyDelete