Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Want to Read That I Don't Own

A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Initially this list was looking just like my list from last week. All the books I want to read are books that I everyone tells me I have to read. Then I thought of it a little differently and came up with  a different list.

Already in Publication



1.) Sabriel by Garth Nix 
I'm a big fan of fantasy but I really haven't read a lot of the modern classics. I don't know what I was reading in the 90's. I know I was reading the Chronicles of Narnia and The Phantom Tollbooth but I think I was too busy with Historical Fiction. I hear this series is amazing and has talking cats so basically I'm sold.

2.) Dangerous Women edited by George R.R. Martin 
I don't usually like short stories but Emily from Oh Magic Hour reminded me in her book haul that this collection features some of my favorite fantasy authors writing about badass women. Plus Lev Grossman writing in The Magicians universe and GRRM giving us something from the ASOIAF mythology is something I need to read!

3.) Wild Girl by Kate Forsyth 
You may know that I recently read and loved Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth. It was a dark and brilliant retelling of Rapunzel and is a fantastic piece of Historical Fiction. I then read on her blog a post about the Snow White tale and her book Wild Girl which I had seen a few times but now really want to read!

4.) The Glass Sentence by S.E. Grove
You guys know I love maps, look at my blog design. I was initially intrigued by a book about a fellow map fan, then I read Icey Books' review and found out this book is full of adventure and pirates!

5.) The Diviners by Libba Bray
I love Libba Bray and her Historical Fantasy series The Gemma Doyle Trilogy. I've heard fantastic things about this book and series set during the 1920s. I've heard it's incredibly thrilling and a little spooky. The second book in the series is about to come out so this is the perfect time to read it!

Not Yet Released - aka ARCs I Would Love!




6.) Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
I have wanted to get my hands on this book for months.... MONTHS! It sounds absolutely brilliant. It's supposed to be like a Young Adult version of A Song of Ice and Fire. It has the political intrigue, the different kingdoms, and the magic. Plus this magical system sounds amazing!

7.) Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
This is another Young Adult fantasy that has a lot of political intrigue. Clearly I have a type! But I'm also really intrigued by this magical system and the ambiguity between good and evil it appears to be betraying. Plus that cover? MUST OWN THIS BOOK!

8.) An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
An Epic Fantasy with a brutal Romanesque world, a strong female protagonist, and of course some political intrigue. This is another book that just sounds absolutely fascinating to me and I want to get me hands on an ARC.

9.) A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
You say Victorial Schwab is writing a fantasy series with parallel universes set in London and I say "GET ME THAT BOOK!" I loved Vicious and not only the complex world-building but the odious characters, this book sounds wonderful!

10.) Firefight by Brandon Sanderson
I read the first book in The Reckoners trilogy a few months ago and was blown away by the twist. I predicted about 1/3 of what was going to happen and for YA fantasies that is a rarity for me, I usually figure it all out. Plus cliff-hangers are the worst and I need to know what happens next!

What about you? What books do you want to read that you don't own? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

6 comments:

  1. Snow like Ashes, Red Queen and Firefight are all on my wish list. ♥I absolutely love Red Queen's cover! Its so captivating.
    Monique @ Mo_Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Diviners is on my TBR! I hope to get to read it soon. I have Red Queen I really hope it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on wanting to read The Diviners, The Red Queen and A Darker Shade of Magic, they all sound awesome!
    Here's my Top 10 post
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sabriel is SO great! It's one of my favorites! I'm also looking forward to The Red Queen, Snow Like Ashes, and Firefight. But I'm looking forward to A Darker Shade of Magic the most! I legit check for it every day on Netgalley and Edelweiss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Have been seeing a few people who've been picking new releases this week too! I went with all already out books as well since I had a list already going on my desk! LOL! Haven't read any of the first 5, but seeing a lot of Red Queen going around around lately, lots of EW receivables or whatever! Starting to get intrigued with it now!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! Great minds think alike. <3 I've already read Snow Like Ashes and I loved it. I already got the ARC of Red Queen but still finding time to read it. Did you also submit a request on EW for Ember in the Ashes? I really hope that Penguin will approve mine.

    Thanks for stopping by Thoughts and Pens.

    ReplyDelete