Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Authors Who I Need to Read More Books From

A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

This week's prompt is to think of the top ten authors that I have only read one book from and I need to read more. Originally I was going to to do authors who only have one book out, which I loved, but then I thought I should share the authors I am embarassed to say I have only read one book they have written when though they have written many!

1.) Victoria Schwab 
Book Read: Vicious - Review
I read Vicious quite recently and loved it! The world-building was interesting, the characters were complex, it was my kind of book. I have also heard nothing but good things about The Archived which sound like a book I would also enjoy. It is on my list but so is A Darker Shade of Magic!

2.) Jennifer L. Armentrout 
Book Read: Don't Look Back - Review
This woman has an incredible catalog of books but I have only read one. I think it's because for awhile there I wasn't really into Supernatural Romances and just romance isn't my thing. But the amount of mystery and swoons in Don't Look Back makes me want to read more of her stuff but don't recommend The Lux series, I don't do aliens.

3.) Kate Forsyth
Book Read: Bitter Greens - Review to Come
As many of you know, I am obsessed with Bitter Green (review in a few days), seriously it is my favorite book of the year so far! I loved the gritty retelling that read like Historical Fiction with a twist ending and a bit of magic for good measure. If her other books are anything like Bitter Greens then I am sold!

4.) Michael Chabon 
Book Read: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Review
I read Kavalier and Clay about a year ago based on a recommendation from a YouTuber I have been subscribed to for years (who no longer does book reviews). I loved it. It was almost sneaky in that it is Historical Fiction in disguise. Plus the characters were amazing and as far as Literary Fiction goes, I dug it!

 5.) Margaret Atwood 
Book Read: The Handmaid's Tale - Review
Margaret Atwood was on my list of authors I need to read list a few months ago for TTT (I've since read about half of those). I waited way too long to read her stuff! I read The Handmaid's Tale recently and it was haunting. I seriously want to read more of her work, either dystopia or even mysteries.

6.) Dave Eggers 
Book Read: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - Review
I read A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius a few years ago and loved it. It's a great memoir and as the title may lead you to believe, quite poignant but also really funny. I've wanted to read You Shall Know Our Velocity or even some of Eggers' fiction ever since then.

7.) Henry James 
Book Read: The Portrait of a Lady - Review
When I first read The Portrait of a Lady I couldn't get into it, but when I read it recently I loved the dubious characters and the cynical view on romance that felt like an Austenian parody. I'd love to read more of his stuff. Maybe The Turn of the Screw which looks pretty gothic! 

8.) Elizabeth Wein 
Book Read: Code Name Verity - Review
Everyone raves about Code Name Verity, even people who don't like HF likes it, which made me a little nervous. But I read it and it destroyed my soul! The book was brilliantly poignant and blew my mind with its plot twists. I need to read more in her pilots series like Rose Under Fire and Black Dove, White Raven which comes out next year.

9.) Phillipa Gregory 
Book Read: The Other Boleyn Girl
For someone who is a big Historical Fiction fan, you would think I would have read more of her stuff. She's pretty mainstream in the genre. I liked The Other Boleyn Girl and Phillipa Gregory's books seriously seem like books I would love. I've been wanting to read The Cousin's War series for awhile I just haven't gotten around to it.

10.) Louisa May Alcott 
Book Read: Little Women - Review
This one embarrasses me a little bit. I mean Little Women is one of my favorite books of all time and I have read it many times, but I have never read Little Men or Jo's Boys (which I own). I feel like some sort of psuedo Alcott fan (I've even been to the house she grew up in). I need to read these books!

What about you? What authors have you read only one book from despite loving that book? Do you need to read more of these authors' books like me? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

6 comments:

  1. OOh nice! I adore Jennifer Armentrout! Although I don't read her contemp books. Contemp is so not my read. But she does have her Covenant series which was more like Greek gods but not the gods that we know of. A twist with Greek mythology I guess is an easier way to describe it!

    She does have another YA thriller coming out next year! Then there's also Unchained, a sort of standalone book featuring Nephilim! Her new YA series featuring gargoyles and demons...White Hot Kiss! So yeah, she basically writes is all! except for vampires! ;)


    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read Bitter Greens for a while, but it wasn't in my library's catalog. Happily, they said they would acquire it for me through interlibrary loan. Now I'm just waiting for it to come to my library so I can finally read it! It looks really, really good. Really looking forward to that one.
    And, AMEN to your words on The Handmaid's Tale. SO GOOD AND HAUNTING AND SCARY AND AAAAHHHHHHH

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read quite a few books by Louisa May Alcott. Eight Cousins was quite good, if you're looking for something other than the March sisters.

    I'd like to read The Handmaid's Tale one day. I've read another of her books, but it wasn't dystopian and I didn't like it at all.

    I won't recommend the Lux series to you; don't worry. I didn't like the first book at all (and I probably won't read any of the author's other books because the writing made me want to punch things). If it makes you feel any better, though, the aliens not really that alienish; they're kind of rip-offs of the Cullen gang from Twilight... but they glow instead of sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought Code Name Verity a couple of months back because everyone loves it. I have a few books queued up, but as soon as I'm free, I'm picking it up. And I want to read Bitter Greens so bad too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of these books are new to me but I definitely heard of Schwab, Armentrout and Alcott. Not so sure if I'm going to pick up any of Schwab's and Armentrout's books. But I will definitely read Little Women someday. I have watched the cartoon adaptation and I had a lot of fun watching it.

    Thanks for sharing this list, Cassi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sad to say that I haven't read any books from any of these authors. But there are several that I really want to read! Great list!

    ReplyDelete