Wednesday, October 1, 2014

September Wrap-Up and October TBR

I may have been very irresponsible in September. I really wanted to have a High Fantasy month where I read a couple series that I have been wanting to read forever. So instead of reading my massive stack of September ARCs I read mostly backlist books. My bad! It was also a crazy month for me with work and personal life. But I did manage to get through eight really fabulous books.

Read in September

1.) Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

Rating: 10 out of 10 Full Review
2.) The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas
Rating: 9 out of 10 Full Review
3.) Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Rating: 9.5 out 10 Full Review
4.) Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
Rating: 9 out of 10 Full Review
5.) The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson
Rating: 9.5 out of 10 Full Review
6.) Winterspell by Claire Legrand
Rating: 9 out of 10 Full Review
7.) The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson
Rating: 10 out of 10 Full Review
8.) Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas
Rating: 9.5 ut of 10 Full Review to Come

Read in Other Month but 
Reviewed in September

9.) Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth
Rating: 10 out of 10 Full Review


To Be Read in October

This is the month that first started my theme month idea on the blog, the month that I decided to bring back the blog. So last year I decided to read Halloween themed "horror" books. But I don't really like traditional horror books so this year I decided to do a psuedo-Halloween theme by reading Supernatural/Paranormal books and Thrillers. Books that are mysterious and ominous or books that will get the adrenaline flowing.

Paranormal/Supernatural

The Series - The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater


The Raven Boys (Amazon / Goodreads), The Dream Thieves (Amazon / Goodreads), Blue Lily, Lily Blue (Amazon / Goodreads)
How it Fits the Theme: I have heard nothing but great things about this series that tells the story of a girl with a claivoyant mother who has been told she will cause her true loves death.

The ARCs


A Sudden Light by Garth Stein (Amazon / Goodreads)
How it Fits the Theme: There are ghosts! This is my current read. I'm about 1/3 of the way in and the book is definitely mysterious and ominous with a creepy haunted house and a family secret that I'm pretty interested in exploring.

Rooms by Lauren Oliver (Amazon / Goodreads)
How it Fits the Theme: Another book with ghosts! I'm pretty excited to read Oliver's first adult book. I met her at BEA when I got a copy of this book and we talked about exploring mysterious old houses, and ghosts who have unfinished business like Caspar. 

Messenger of Fear by Michael Grant (Amazon / Goodreads)
How it Fits the Theme: This could probably be in both categories but it's about a girl who is offered a game where if she loses she has to face her worst fear, sounds pretty creepy!

The Classic


The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (Amazon / Goodreads)
How it Fits the Theme: And yet another book about ghosts! It's been awhile since I read a classic, and I really enjoyed my last Henry James book so I am excited to check out this one out. It seems pretty Gothic and ominous.

Thrillers 

The ARCs


Of Monsters and Madness by Jessica Verday (Amazon / Goodreads)
How it Fits the Theme: A creepy retelling of an Edgar Allen Poe story and historical thriller that involves gruesome deaths, mysteious experiments, and potentially nonexistent love interests. Sign me up!

Blackbird by Anna Carey (Amazon / Goodreads)
How it Fits the Theme: A mystery/thriller about a girl with amnesia who has to try and remember who she is while escaping from people trying to killer her. Did I mention it's told in second-person?

The Pierced Heart by Lynn Shepard (Amazon / Goodreads)
How it Fits the Theme: A Historical Mystery involving Dracula. That is the premise for this book and one of my favorite books of all time that I read last October, The Historian

Recent Fiction


Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (Amazon / Goodreads)
How it Fits the Theme: This has been in my TBR for awhile, and with the movie coming out I want to read it soon. It's a traditional murder mystery but I've heard it's a tough book to stomach because the characters are terrible people. The kind of book where you suspect everyone of murder. 

This is an incredibly heavy load for me this month. Last month was very slow but the books were much longer and more involved. This month the books are shorter and I'm hoping that they will be quick reads so that I can just power through a few of them and get off to a good start for the month. \

What are you planning to read this October? Heave you read any of these books? What did you think? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm actually super jealous because you had such a great month in books! I wouldn't say that it was slow at all! So many high-rated books - and I still need to get to all of them (except Assassin's Blade and Throne of Glass). I do hope I can carve out some time to read Brandon Sanderson's series soon, but I'm doubtful - you just make it sound so good!!

    ReplyDelete