Friday, July 15, 2016

Crossing Over: Atmospheric Fantasies with Surprisingly Sinister Antagonists


Hey all. This month's Crossing Over is a little later than usual because it was hard to decide on. On top of the fact that I don't have a theme this month to focus me, I've used up all my idea stockpile I put together when I first created the idea. But I finally decided on one and I'm really happy with it.

If you're not familiar with Crossing Over it's a feature that stemmed from my desire to recommend an adult book with crossover appeal based on a YA or sometimes Middle Grade book that are similar. I hate that we pigeonhole books into a specific age range and so I try to combat that. Plus it's basically an if you liked, then try but for crossover books. It runs once a month here and I pick the books based on the theme of what I'm reading. But like I said, no theme this month so here is a completely arbitrary choice.


The Scorpio Races by Maggie Steivater
Read My Review / Add to Goodreads

First things first, this is an absolutely amazing book with gorgeous writing and an atmospheric tone that you will get swept away in. Plus the setting is so unique and enthralling you'll wish it was a real place. It's one of those books that forces you to slow down when you're reading and take it all in but at the same time it's not at all boring. The plot will have you wanting to find out what will happen next and there is a surprising amount of action. There is also a surprising antagonist. You don't expect sinister demon horses to be as vicious and terrifying but that's exactly what they are. And of course you have great characters that you will relate to, a complex family dynamic, and a really sweet romance. It's a fantastic read. Plus the audio is top notch!

Uprooted by Naomi Novik
Read My Review / Add to Goodreads

And of course Uprooted is also an absolutely amazing book with gorgeous writing and an atmospheric tone that you will get swept away in. Plus the setting is so unique and enthralling you'll wish it was a real place. It's one of those books that forces you to slow down when you're reading and take it all in. It will take longer than you expect to read it but at the same time it's not at all boring. The plot will have you wanting to find out what will happen next and there is a surprising amount of action. There is also a surprising antagonist. You don't expect a sentient wood to be as vicious and terrifying but that's exactly what it is. And of course you have great characters that you will love, an amazing female friendship, and a really good hate to love romance. It's a fantastic read and worth the time.

These are both good examples of books I think of as a modern fairy tale. They have these really great atmospheric tones and a unique setting that feels magical even if there isn't any magic in play. But then you add magic and/or magical creatures and it makes it all the more enjoyable. But I think the best thing about these books is how great of a conflict there is with an antagonist that is surprsingly sinister. And they'll both leaving having loved the way the standalone ended but wanting more.

Have you read The Scorpio Races and/or Uprooted? What did you think? What retelling that read like historical fiction crossovers do you like? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment