Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Books of 2017

A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

It seems a bit early to do the best books of the year, especially because my theme this month is reading the books that I have not yet read but want to before the end of the year. But I think I can give a pretty good list of books based on what I have already read. Here's we go...


1.) The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee - My Review
I really liked Mackenzi's  debut so I was really excited for her next book. And this book was seriously phenomenal. It had amazing characters, an exciting plot, and actually surprised me with how complex it was.

2.) Dreamland Burning by Jennifer Lantham - My Review
This book was everything I had hoped it would be and more. I love a good historical mystery and this book was just that. I mean it was one of the first books I read this year and I liked it so much that it is this high on my list.

3.) Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor - My Review
Probably I liked this book so much because I listened to the audiobook which was narrated by my absolute favorite narrator, Steve West. But it was also my first Laini Taylor book and it was really amazing.


4.) Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Broadhurst - My Review
This was without a doubt my favorite debut of the year. I really loved it. It was a fantastic modern fantasy and really creative retelling all at the same time. It was beautifully written and I loved it.

5.) La Belle Sauvage by Phillip Pullman - My Review
I mean how could the His Dark Materials prequel not make my favorites of the year list. But seriously, this book was amazing. I didn't expect to fall that in love with a book without Lyra but it was that good.

6.) Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh - My Review
I really liked The Wrath and the Dawn but I think Flame in the Mist may have been even better. It was a great fantasy Renee Ahdieh know how to develop a world and her beautiful lyrical writing and plenty of surprises made this amazing.


7.) Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli - My Review
When I read Simon Vs. it was one of my favorite books of the year so it should come as no surprise that Upside made my favorite as well. I related so much to Molly and Becky's trademark humor and way of balancing that with the more serious made this fantastic.

8.) Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza - My Review
I was blown away by this book. It usually science fiction books that do that for me. This one was definitely had a great world full of political intrigue and a thrilling plot that had plenty of surprises. Plus the audiobook was amazing because Rebecca Soler

9.) The Dire King by William Ritter - My Review
No surprise here as well. Jackaby books always make my favorites of the year. I love this series so much. And the final book in the serious was everything I wanted. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it surprised me, it enthralled me, it was amazing.


10.) Jane Unlimited by Kristen Cashore - My Review
Another book that totally surprised me in the best possible way. I have wanted to read Kristen Cashore for awhile now, I've heard amazing things, and yet this as my first. I ;liked it so much that it makes me wish I had read her fantasies years ago.

11.) Hunting Prince Dracula by Kerri Maniscalco - My Review
Stalking Jack the Ripper was one of my favorite books of last year and its sequel was just as fantastic. I loved getting more of Audrey Rose and Thomas. I ship them so much and I can't wait for book three.

12.) The Empress by S.J. Kincaid - My Review
And another sequel of a book that I loved. The Diabolic was one of my favorite books of 2015 and this book was just as fantastic. I loved catching up with Nemesis and this book had even more surprises and twists than the first book.

There you have it. All of my favorite books of 2017. I'll do a full on year in review so there will definitely be more favorites coming up in the next two weeks. But until then, here they are. What books made you list? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

3 comments:

  1. Upside of Unrequited was SO. GOOD. Not one of my faves of the whole year, but still a great one, being that Albertalli writes realistic and relatable teens like nobody's business. :) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored Upside. Albertalli is a master at creating characters for me to love. I need to catch up with the Jackaby books, because I am a fan, but I have to read the last 2. I have been afraid to read the new Cashore. I lover her so much, but reviews are really mixed. Glad to see you liked it this much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Upside of Unrequited and The Gentleman's Guide will definitely be on my list of the year too. They were both absolutely incredible. Empress of a Thousand Skies sounds like a book I'd really enjoy too, so that one's going on the to-read list. I hope you'll have a great reading year in 2018 too :)

    ReplyDelete