Friday, September 28, 2018

Review: Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylore

Title: Days of Blood and Starlight
Series: Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Written by: Laini Taylor
Published: November 6, 2012 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

(Amazon / Goodreads)

Synopsis: Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a world free of bloodshed and war. 

This is not that world. 

Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is—and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it. 

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life. 

While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope

But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?

I know everyone loves this series and I wasn't really planning on reading it but I read the first book on a whim and totally getting the hype. Thus continues my marathon of the audiobooks in this series. I really loved this book, the series is getting so good.

One of the best things about this book is the world building and setting. If like me you were more of a fan of the second half of Daughter of Smoke and Bone then you are going to love the world of this book. Here we get to go to Eretz and learn much more about the chimera and the work of their resurrection. I was way more fascinated by the chimera in Daughter of Smoke and Bone so I really enjoyed learning more about them in this book. We got to explore where they are from including Loramendi and the Kirin Caves where Madrigal's people were from. Laini's amazing writing really did a great job in making these locations come to life with her descriptive and beautiful writing. I could completely visualize everything and usually for me everything is kind of just a blur when it comes to settings and characters.

Speaking of characters, the characters here were completely amazing. I am thoroughly impressed by the character developent in this series and it was very evident in this book. First and foremost you have Karou and Akiva. In the first book in the series I became really attached to them and their story. After Daughter of Smoke and Bone they have been separated and while their ultimate goals align they are also in conflict which made their personal development really interesting. Karou in particular is in a really dark place. It was easy to root for her and want her to succeed over the books antagonists. Who by the way are amazing. On both sides of the conflict you had some truly heinous characters. With the seraphim you had Jael, Akiva's uncle, and with the chimaera you had Thiago. Both are scheming and power hungry, doing truly terrible things to our main characters. And that was only the beginning of the amazing secondary characters. Zuzanna and Mik were amazing as always, and Liraz and Hazael were so good in this book. They are quickly becoming some of my favorite characters.

But I think the part I liked the most about this book was the plot development. I thought the first book in the series was a bit slow in the plot department but here that was not the case. There was so much action and adventure. The stakes were very high with the war between the seraph and chimaera and the threat of impending doom on Earth. There were tons of surprises and I was absolutely on the edge of my seat for a lot of the book. By the end of it I was so emotionally invested in the outcome which is really the best outcome yo could expect.

I really loved Days of Blood and Starlight. I felt like it had everything I loved about Daughter of Smoke and Bone with some of the things I was hoping that book would have. It had a fascinating world, amazing characters, and a thrilling plot.

I give Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor 9.5 out of 10 stars


Buy/Borrow/Bypass: Buy/Borrow. I am really enjoying marathoning  this series and definitely recommend that if you like YA Fantasy and have not read this series you check it out. The audiobooks are fantastic and you should definitely listen to it.

Have you read Days of Blood and Starlight. What did you think? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment