Thursday, April 5, 2018

ARC Review: Nothing But Sky by Amy Trueblood

Title: Nothing But Sky
Written by: Amy Trueblood
Published: March 27, 2018 by Flux

(Amazon / Goodreads)

Synopsis: "Amy Trueblood takes an overlooked page in history, folds it into an intense drama, and sends it soaring. Post World War I wing walker Grace Lafferty is the kind of spunky, stubborn heroine that will make readers feel like the sky's the limit." —Stacey Lee, award winning author of OUTRUN THE MOON

A 2018 Junior Library Guild selection.

Grace Lafferty only feels alive when she's dangling 500 feet above ground. As a post-World War I wing walker, Grace is determined to get to the World Aviation Expo, proving her team’s worth against flashier competitors and earning a coveted Hollywood contract.

No one’s ever questioned Grace’s ambition until Henry Patton, a mechanic with plenty of scars from the battlefield, joins her barnstorming team. With each new death-defying trick, Henry pushes Grace to consider her reasons for being a daredevil. Annoyed with Henry’s constant interference, and her growing attraction to him, Grace continues to test the powers of the sky.

After one of her risky maneuvers saves a pilot’s life, a Hollywood studio offers Grace a chance to perform at the Expo. She jumps at the opportunity to secure her future. But when a stunt goes wrong, Grace must decide whether Henry, and her life, are worth risking for one final trick.

When I first heard about this book I instantly knew I needed to read it. It's a total me book, between the historical setting and unique plot with complex characters. And while I did enjoy aspects of this book it didn't really blow me away.

One of the only things that did work for me was the historical setting. I love reading historical fiction novels that involve a historical period or something from history that isn't often discussed and talked about. This book did exactly that. Books set in the 1920's are not uncommon but books about barnstorming totally are. It's a concept that I didn't know much about and loved learning about here. The author clearly did her research and immersed the reader in the world of what it was like for aviators at the time period. I will say, there was a lot of information that got a little too technical at times but I don't think it was too overwhelming. It made for an interesting and really engaging setting for this book.

Unfortunately it didn't quite deliver on the next part of that world-building which was the plot development. It had a really good jumping off point with the barnstorming and World Aviation Expo but it didn't quite take it all to the next level. Now don't get me wrong, there were plenty of action packed moments that had me totally engaged but those moments were few and far between. On the whole I think the plot felt a little basic and not completely developed, which made for a really fast read but not as an in-depth read that I would have hoped.

But I think my biggest issue with this book was with the romance. You guys know me, I am a cold-hearted romancephobe and it takes a lot to impress me. This books seriously did not impress me in the romance department. I don't know if it's because I didn't ever really like the romantic lead or because it just developed out of nowhere. It wasn't necessarily instalove, it just escalated so quickly. And the romance really did take a lot of focus of the book. I could have been okay if it had been more minimized.

The other thing that exacerbated my dislike of the romance was my feelings on the characters. On the whole, there were some super odious character which I usually appreciate. Here there were some characters I liked more than others. Some were complex and surprising while others were just frustrating. Like for example, I kept thinking how the male lead had been a total misogynist earlier in the book. He had okay development but it never quite won me over. I did like main character though. She was completely likable and I admired her determination to do more for herself and others. The fact that I liked her and disliked him made the romance even more frustrating. I just think I didn't love these characters.

All in all I think this was an okay read but I just didn't love it. It had a great setting and historical aspect but the plot was basic and the characters were a bit hit or miss for me.

I give Nothing But Sky by Amy Trueblood 7.5 out of 10 stars


Buy/Borrow/Bypass: Borrow/Bypass. If you are a fan of historical romances and are looking for a fast and basic read maybe snag this one from the library. I didn't love it but it was an interesting enough read.

Have you read Nothing But Sky? What did you think? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

1 comment:

  1. I love how you said "cold-hearted romancephobe". It made me laugh but romance is a tricky thing in books. I either love or hate is. There's almost no in between for me.

    ReplyDelete