Sunday, February 22, 2015

Book Blogger Love-A-Thon: Mini Challenge #5 High Fives


Book Blogger Love-A-Thon is a weekend long even hosted by Alexa Loves Books where bloggers share their love of books and blogging. Today's second challenge is to discuss some of our recent favorite things.

Books: 
Favorite books is an impossible questions. I posted a picture on my Instagram with some of my absolute favorites in the shape of a heart. Probably the most recent books that I would add to my favorites of all time list are Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth and The Young Elites by Marie Lu.


I haven't read a lot of "five star reads" recently so I do want to give a quick shout out to those three which are The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson, and The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury.

Genre: 
My favorite genre is and will always be Fantasy but lately I think my reading tastes are changing and I've been reading a bit too much Fantasy because it's all starting to feel very similar. I'm also a huge fan of Historical Fiction but it takes a bit to blow me away when it comes to HF

I've also been really loving some Contemporary reads so I'd say that is recent fave. I've been trying to get some recommendations from fans of the genre so let me know any suggestions. I like more lighthearted and funny over sad and don't go for standard romances most of the time. Coming-of-age stories with slowburn romances would be best and no road trips!

Some of my favorite Contemps. Any recommendations based on these?

Author: 
I'm totally obsessed with Brandon Sanderson so he needs a mention. I also love Rainbow Rowell and I'm excited for her new Fantasy coming out this fall. I'm also really excited for ACOTAR because Sarah J. Maas is amazing and Six of Crows because Leigh Bardugo is great. I need to read more Maggie Steifvater after I read The Raven King because I'm really impressed with her work. I also really like Lynne Matson who is so sweet. Her interaction with fans is one of the best I have seen. I'm really excited to read NIL Unlocked because her books are also amazing! (How did that turn into a talk of my most anticipated reads of the year?)

Blogger: 
Impossible question and one I refuse to answer! Instead I will name some favorites in a few categories.

First Bloggers I Look Up To:
- Brittany of The Book Addicts Guide
- Octavia of Read Sleep Repeat

All four of these ladies have been very kind, supportive, and welcoming to me. They represent the best of the community for me and every interaction with them has made me so happy. There are the kind of successful bloggers I want to be one day.

Second, Blogger Friends You Should Follow:
- Stephanie at My Bookish Itinerary
I can't remember when I found Stephanie's blog but she's so insiteful and creative. She's been a good friend to me and you should check her out.

I think Violet was one of my first followers and she's still one of the best! I have had so much fun doing readalongs with you and I'm excited to do another one soon.

-Eileen at BookCatPin
I think you're a newer follower and blogging friends but you're a great one. We have so many amazing twitter chats about the books we read. We really should do a buddy read soon!

We have such similar tastes and senses of humor. Brittany is one of the sweetest people I've met through blogging and I cannot wait to meet you at BEA!

Bookish Merchandise/Bookish Sites:
Oh man, I'm trying really hard not to buy things besides books. I went through a huge Book Outlet problem but I'm in remission. I've also become obsessed with the Funko Pop figurines especially the Game of Thrones ones and the Harry Potter ones they just announced. Lately I'd say I'm totally into bookish jewelry! I really want this Harry Potter bracelet and this Etsy site is full of adorable things. 

Speaking of Etsy and adorable, I'm obsessed with my Snape bookmark from craftedvan and I want so many more. And Mapsburgh who is a local artist that makes maps of US cities in the style of The Lord of the Rings is amazing (I have the Pittsburgh one)
Okay... There are my favorites. How about you? What have you been loving?

13 comments:

  1. That Snape bookmark is great! I'd love to have a whole host of HP character bookmarks like that!

    I also have Brandon Sanderson on my list. His books are just so immensely well-written, both in terms of structure and plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want more of the Harry Potter bookmarks from there too! I was trying to decide between Snape and Luna but of course the Golden Trio is on my list too!

      And yes, Sanderson's work is so well-written. I have not read a book of his that wasn't beautifully constructed while being insanely entertaining!

      Delete
  2. OMG Brandon Sanderson. I think I totally raved about your reviews on Steelheart and Firefight but I love him so much. I'm so close to starting the Mistborn series, but that will have to wait since I have an overflowing TBR of books. What a great bunch of lovely picks you've got on this list!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so obsessed with The Reckoners series. Calamity is going to destroy me, I know it! You should totally start Mistborn. I let it destroy my TBR and I regretted nothing!

      Delete
  3. Bitter Greens is on my TBR! I'm happy to see it highlighted in your post; it makes me that much more excited to get around to reading it. Same for the Sanderson love! I need to give his books a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH, YES! I loved Bitter Greens. I want so many more people to read it. It's beautifully-written, captivating, and heartbreaking. It is one of my favorite books now for sure!

      Delete
  4. The Young Elites looks so good! I got a copy not too long ago. Hopefully I can get to it before too long. :) I've only read one Brandon Sanderson book so far, and I absolutely LOVED it. I'm definitely continuing the Mistborn series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Young Elites is so good! It is insanely dark but that's what makes it so brilliant. It's full of WTF moments and it really brings the suspense. If you like action-packed Fantasy then you have to read it. But it's also really character-driven. It has it all!

      Delete
  5. Great post. I LOVED Fangirl so much. The Young Elites is still on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Fangirl was my first Rainbow Rowell book. I loved it and her style. She is definitely one of my favorite authors now.

      Delete
  6. Fantasy is also my favorite genre, together with fairytales & retellings. There is something about escaping to magical worlds that I can't get enough of.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I love escaping into magical worlds through my reading. There is absolutely nothing better than that!

      Delete
  7. Ahhh I see my name! You're so sweet and I'm so honoured to be on this list! Yes we have the best twitter chats and we need to have many many more!! I'm definitely up for a buddy read! Sounds like so much fun :D

    ReplyDelete