Thursday, October 13, 2016

Crossing Over: Dark SF/F with Brutal and Violent Worlds


Hey all. It's been a few months since I have done a Crossing Over post. I think I'm being a perfectionist about them and haven't real been able to come up with the perfect one to fit the theme. Or I was busy. I don't know. On top of that fact, now that I am back to theme months I want to make them fit and that's not always possible. But at this point I am just going to do one that works and I have been saving in my archive.

If you're not familiar with Crossing Over it's a feature that stemmed from my desire to recommend an adult book with crossover appeal based on a YA or sometimes Middle Grade book that are similar. I hate that we pigeonhole books into a specific age range and so I try to combat that. Plus it's basically an if you liked, then try but for crossover books. It runs once a month (usually) here and I pick the books based on the theme of what I'm reading. But like I said, this one doesn't really fit the theme.



An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
Read My Review / Add to Goodreads

I am not up to date with this series but I did like the first book. Not as much as a lot of people but I think the hype train got the best of me here. Plus the audiobook narrators were ones I had listened to before and I kept comparing the two books which is not at all fair. But now that it is going to be a larger series I do kind of want to marathon it when all the books are out.

The biggest stand out to me with this book is the world. Wow, this is a super brutal fantasy world that kind of harkens back to Greek city states, particularly Sparta, and their warrior tendencies. It is not for the faint of heart and there is a serious body count with the main character doing horrible things in the face of a contest that requires him to be super brutal. But his violence is nothing compared to some of the other characters. This is a book full of awful and unlikable characters who make really questionable decisions but are complex and interesting which makes me want to learn more about them. There is also an undercurrent of rebellion that I hope and assume is explored more with later books. Like I said, I've only read this one but I am really hoping there is more rebellion in the future.

Red Rising by Pierce Brown
Read My Review / Add to Goodreads

I am not up to date with this series even though all the books are out, but I did like the first book. Not as much as a lot of people but I think the hype train got the best of me here too, well and the fact that I should not have listened to the audio. But now that all the books are out I do kind of want to marathon it, if only I could find the time.

The biggest stand out to me with this book is the world. Wow, this is a super brutal sci-fi world that kind of harkens back to Greek city states, particularly Sparta, and their warrior tendencies. I mean the Greek symbolism isn't veiled thinly at all. It is not for the faint of heart and there is a serious body count with the main character doing horrible things in the face of a contest that requires him to be super brutal. But his violence is nothing compared to some of the other characters. This is a book full of awful and unlikable characters who make really questionable decisions but are complex and interesting, which makes me want to learn more about them. There is also an undercurrent of rebellion that I hope and assume is explored more with later books.

These are both good examples of books I think of really dark sci-fi fantasies. They have these really great atmospheric tones and a unique settings but plot wise they are super brutal. If you don't like graphic violence or you don't want your main characters doing awful and violent things, maybe don't read these books. But if that is your thing, and I like me some violence from time to time, then check these books out. They are really complex and there are great themes of rebellion and humanity that I hope are explored in later books because that is kind of what I came here for. They are really similar in theme and tone too so if you liked one, check out the other.

Have you read An Ember in the Ashes and/or Red Rising? What did you think? What dark sci-fi/fantasies with crossover appeal do you like? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I would have not compared Ember and Red Rising but you do have a point because both are very harsh societies with oppresion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, it's like all I could think about when I was reading Red Rising (which I read after Ember). It is mostly the world. Harsh societies with oppression, yes, and also the similarity to Ancient Greece and particularly the Spartan military ideal.

      Delete