Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Books and Music? Try These Pandora Stations.

A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

This week's prompt is about books and music. And seriously, this was really hard for me to answer. If I'm being entirely honest, I don't listen to music very often, especially if I am reading. I'm an auditory learner so if I am listening to music, especially if I know the words, then I will get too distracted. But if I do listen to music then it's Pandora because it balances out songs I know with stuff I don't so it doesn't pull me out of the book for long plus it sets the tone for the read. So here are a few Pandora stations that I recommend for certain books

1.) Taylor Swift Radio for The Love That Split the Word by Emily Henry
In general this is my most listened to Pandora station. It goes with so much. But Taylor is so perfect for this book set in Texas about a girl trying to find her identity. You get some country with old school Taylor but there is also a lot of pop thrown in because of new school Taylor.


2.) Birdy Radio for Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
Lately I have been so obsessed with Birdy and the emotion she gets across with her melodic vocals and music with lots of piano. Plus most of the songs that come up are equally emotional ballads from strong females that fit these characters.


3.) Miranda Lambert Radio for Revenge and the Wild by Michelle Modesto
The western setting of this book perfectly fits with the country music that pops up on this station. But let's be honest, Miranda loves singing about breakups and revenge. She totally fits with the vulgar and unapologetic Westie. And I add The Band Perry for variety which goes really well too.


4.) Florence + The Machine Radio for Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray
I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Florence Welch and her music. What I think fits so well with this book is it has folk elements but there's something upbeat and almost pulse-pounding about it. That totally fits with Marguerite who is a time travelling artist.


5.) Of Monsters and Men for Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
I love Of Monsters and Men. Like their music in general has this really great high fantasy feel to it. In particular it worked well for Truthwitch because there is some great melodic folk music but it's also has really sweeping stuff.


6.) Demi Lovato Radio for See How They Run by Ally Carter
There is a bit of a trend with the Pandora Stations I listen to and I guess Demi fits with that too. There's a lot of upbeat girl power stuff here like her recent stuff but there is a degree of uncertainty and power ballads too. This seems to fit really well with this book and Grace's mental state.


7.) Sara Bareilles Radio for I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios
There is this general dissatisfaction that comes with Sara's music. Like she has great breakup songs and love songs, yes but mostly she sings about how much she hates the music business and people in general. I also add the variety of Kelly Clarkson here wish also goes well with this book.


8.) Ed Sheeren Radio for Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
Six of Crows is a book that is full of unlikely ships so I have to give it a book where there is a lot of really sweet love songs but there is also a ton of like exciting more pop stuff. And Ed Sheeren is sort of similar to Sara Bareilles in that he also sings a lot about things and people he hates which fits with this high fantasy heist novel.


9.) Mumford and Sons Radio for Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman
I saw Erin's playlist for Vengeance Road included some of my more obscure favorite Mumford stuff. I'm a purist about them with them and miss the real folk stuff from when they first came out. But the rock stuff works too. Plus I have The Civil Wars as variety for this station so that adds to the vibe.


10.) Adele Radio for Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas
Adele is so perfect for this series. There's so much strong female girl power kind of stuff but there is also a ton of emotional breakup songs and even a few love songs here and there. Plus the tone of Adele just fits Aelin so well.


What do you like to listen to while you're reading? Have you ever tried Pandora? What are your favorite stations? Leave me any recommendations. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

4 comments:

  1. Mumford and Sons is a great match to Vengeance Road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read all of these books, but I do love almost every single song that you mentioned! Great list! Hope you have a great week!

    TTT
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you matched musicians with books! Sometimes whole albums or really go great with certain books!
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer to listen to instrumental music while reading too, but my fave thing to listen to while reading are the book's playlists on Spotify! I love when the author makes a playlist for the book there!

    ReplyDelete