Monday, June 20, 2016

Book Review: And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Title: And Then There Were None
Written by: Agatha Christie
Published: Originally in 1939 by Collins Crime Club
(Amazon / Goodreads)

Synopsis: First there were ten--a curious assortment of strangers summoned as weekend guests to a private island off the coast of Devon. 

Their host, an eccentric millionaire unknown to all of them, is nowhere to be found. All that the guests have in common is a wicked past they're unwilling to reveal--and a secret that will seal their fate. For each has been marked for murder. 

One by one they fall prey. Before the weekend is out, there will be none. And only the dead are above suspicion.

It's mystery month here on the blog so when looking at my backlist books for the Rock My TBR Challenge, I knew one book I had to read, this one. I'm really glad I took the time to finally read this because it is an absolutely fantastic mystery full of suspense, odious characters, and a twist I did not see coming.

For one thing, I could not put this book down. I am not a very fast reader but I finished this in just over a day because I was so captivated by the story and the setting. Agatha Christie has managed to jam pack so many thrills and suspense into this 275 page novel. The chapters are short and often left me wanting to read just one more, and the brilliant storytelling and curious atmosphere kept me engaged from beginning to end.

Part of that I think had to do with the characters. I'm not sure I would say that I liked any of these characters but I didn't dislike them either. They all perfectly walked that like of good and evil, making them both interesting and complex. You'd be hard-pressed to find a collection of characters who are this odious and suspicious. But that's the point. Within the first 50 pages we learn that each of them caused someone's death whether on purpose or by accident. Therefore the book has this curious and contradictory sense of justice and uncertainty that is reflected in the characters and makes the book all the more interesting.

That could also have been because this was perfectly paced and plotted. It absolutely built to an ending that had me wondering about everything and everyone. From the first death until the last it had me curious and questioning every action and motivation which really made for a book full of confusion and suspense. It's exactly what you want in a murder mystery.

And then when everything is all said and done I was left feeling incredibly confused. I can often solve some if not all of a mystery but Agatha Christie managed to stump me even at the very end. This book was seriously full of surprises and twists that I did not see coming. It was a great mystery that makes me totally understand why she is so beloved by fans of the genre.

For a very long time I have wanted to read this book and I am so glad I did it now. It's a murder mystery masterpiece and if you enjoy the genre and haven't read this yet drop everything and read it now! You will not be disappointed.

I give And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie 10 out of 10 stars


Buy/Borrow/Bypass: Buy! Definitely buy this book. If you are a fan of mysteries and like me you have been putting off reading this for some unknown reason, stop waiting and start reading. It's fantastic and a classic for a reason.

3 comments:

  1. This is probably my favorite Agatha Christie book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YASSSSS!! I'm such a big fan of Agatha Christie!! So I'm so very happy that you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had read this mystery long, long ago and loved it. I hoped it would still interest me. It did more than interest me, it demanded that I keep reading. Just one more chapter, I kept telling myself, and then it was time to squeeze in just one more. The book is a quick read, fortunately.

    Luzia
    KRW Workplace Injury Lawyers

    ReplyDelete