Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: My Favorite Audiobook Narrators

A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

June is Audiobook Month. Did you know? I did. Mostly because I love audiobooks. Which you probably already know because if you follow this blog you have seen me talk about some audiobooks I have read and notice that typically I read one audiobook a month.

Last year for Audiobook Months I talked about my all-time favorite audiobooks. A list that of course has been amended since then with all the new audiobooks I have listened to in the past year. I thought about giving you some of my new favorites but then it hit me. I will instead talk about some of my favorite narrators and this is a freebie week for Top Ten Tuesday so here you go, my ten favorite audiobook narrators.

1.) Steve West
Books Read: The Scorpio Races, An Ember in the Ashes (both with Fiona Hardingham), The Crown's Game
I seriously cannot put into words how much I love Steve West's voice. It makes me feel things that are not appropriate for a blog post. But in general he's great with setting an atmospheric mood and with books that have subtle fantasy. And just having an amazing voice, he's good with that.

2.) MacLeod Andrews
Books Read: The Reckoners Trilogy
The humor in MacLeod Andrew's voice is unescapable. He brought some of my favorite characters to life in this series. David's bad metaphors, Megan's sullen sass, Cody's efforvescence, Prof's gruff standoffishness. They're all so different and he does them so well.

3.) Wil Wheaton
Books Read: Ready Player One, Lock In
I mean who in nerdom doesn't love Wil Wheaton? No one. I think. Sheldon Cooper but that's about it. Wil is an amazing narrator for sci-fi novels. It just works so well and his acting is perfect for these books with action and mystery.

4.) Rebecca Soler
Books Read: The Lunar Chronicles
Again it feels weird to mention a narrator even though I have only read one series they have narrated. But when I did my reread of The Lunar Chronicles and then started reading Winter, I had to stop and listen to the audio because she is so good. Her characterization is so on point. Like everyone is perfect.

5.) Nick Poedhl
Books Read: The Kingkiller Chronicles
I absolutely love the way that Nick Poedhl is able to create an atmosphere in this series. It's such an interesting world and it comes alive with his narration. Not to mention the subtle changes he gives to a diverse group of characters is fantastic.

6.) Michael Kramer
Books Read: Mistborn series
Speaking of accents for a diverse group of characters, Michael Kramer is another one who does that so well. I read and listened to the first few Mistborn books but by the second era stuff I was hooked on the audio. His voice for Wayne is perfection.

7.) Jim Dale
Books Read: Harry Potter series
I need to listen to more Jim Dale audiobooks. He's a master for sure. I plan to listen to The Night Circus for one. But I did love how he did the Harry Potter books back in the day when I was first getting into audiobooks.

8.) Kirby Heybourne
Books Read: Gone Girl, Don't You Cry
I just listened to Don't You Cry and I realized just how good Kirby Heybourne does with mysteries. He totally pulls you in and establishes and atmosphere of uncertainty while crafting complex characters. It's great. Side Note: Julia Whelan who narrates Gone Girl with Kirby is also really good even though she's not on this list.

9.) Will Patton
Books Read: The Raven Cycle
I recently marathoned this series on audio and it's another one where I had the narrator's voice in my head when I was reading. Plus I just love his accents. His Ronan was so perfect and his Adam, the subtlety of his Southern accent.

10.) Elizabeth Evans
Books Read: Throne of Glass series
I know a few people don't love these audiobooks because the narrator makes all the characters sound really conceited and cocky but it kind of works for me. I don't know, I think she totally brings these characters and this world to life.

Honorable Mention to: when authors narrate it like Douglas Adams doing the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Libba Bray narrating Beauty Queens.

Do you like audioboooks? Who are some of your favorite narrators? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

12 comments:

  1. Some of my favorites include Luke Daniels from The Iron Druid Chronicles, the guy who does The Monstrumologist series, and James Marsters from The Dresden Files! Great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love listening to audiobooks at the gym and at work(only on computer intensive days). I really love The Son by Jon Nesbo read by Gildart Jackson. It's one of my favorite audiobooks!
    I've been meaning to read the Throne of Glass series, I might try the audiobook now
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't checked most narrators, well so far only the one for The Scorpio Races and I absolutely adored them both!
    I've listened to the samplers of the Throne of Glass books and I think the narrator will work for me too!
    I just have to disagree with the narrator for The Raven Cycle... I listened to a few samplers and I just cannot!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love watching Will Wheaton on Table Top (playing board games), didn't know he did audiobooks too. How fun. Jim Dale is one of my favorite narrators. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim Dale is just the best! Passing the rest of these along to my husband :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't listened to any audiobooks yet, but I think I might try them soon. It just seems weird having someone read a book to me, but that's just my opinion. One day!

    Check out my TTT

    Lizzie @ Big Books and Grande Lattes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh nice! Not the audiobook listener myself but I think it would be fun to listen to a fave celeb reading! Of course, yeah I only know Wil because he was once Sheldon's mortal enemy or some such thing! LOL! Apparently James Marsters narrated a book but for the life of me I can't remember what! I know it's one I read so that narrows it down to around 2000 or so! LOL!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OHHHH MAN STEVE WEST DID THE CROWN'S GAME? GUESS I'LL BE GETTING IT ON AUDIO.

    I bought An Ember in the Ashes on audio even though I DNFed the print super early because it's him and Fiona and someday I'll listen to it.

    I want MacLeod to do more YA books. I don't love The Reckoners series but his narration makes them so much better.

    Wil Wheaton's narration gives me life. I really liked his narration of Armada even though I didn't like the book much.

    Ooooh I've heard great things about the Lunar Chronicles narrator. I definitely have to check them out soon.

    I am planning to do The Kingkiller series on audio so good to know you like the narration.


    Wow this comment is ridiculously long. Oooops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! Great post idea! I always want to get into audiobooks but never know where to start and which ones are the best, but this list gives me a good place to start! I have been wanting to read The Scorpio Races so maybe I will try the audio version!
    Mallory @ The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome post!! I'm actually working on an updated narrator post myself! I totally agree with the narration on The Lunar Chronicles! I listened to the first two books and I loved the voice acting!

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good list, have you listened to The Pillars of Reality series by Jack Campbell? MacLeod Andrews does an incredible job with it.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  12. My small independent publisher wants me to narrate our historical novel 'The Last Free Men' but I am beset with problems: my voice cracks with age, I am not tech-savvy and don't know how to right a mistake- of which there are many- and although I'm English I feel my natural speaking voice is accented and not enough Oxford if you can understand that?
    I suppose I need advice and don't know where to go for it, also I wondered whether the cost of employing a professional would be too prohibitive? Any suggestions?
    Kind thoughts,
    Jack Everett

    ReplyDelete