Thursday, June 30, 2016

June Wrap Up and July TBR

Read in June: Mystery/Thrillers

Well this was not my best month for reading. I did read a good amount of books but less than I usually do. And for many of the books, it took me longer to read them then I expected. But you know what, that's okay. It was also a very hit or miss kind of month. I had a six star review (which is a two star on Goodreads) but I also had a  couple 10 star review. One that I know will be among my favorites of the year. When it was all said and done, I read 12 new books this month and no rereads, but I am about 1/3 of the way into one.

As far as challenges go, I'm still doing well. I've read 86 books towards my Goodreads goal of reading 150 books this year. I'm way ahead of my goal which is still exciting. I'm still hoping I can do it without rereads but we'll see when it gets closer. I'm also ahead of my goal for the Debut Author Challenge of reading 25 debuts by reading 3 debuts again this month for a total of 19 for the year. I'm also ahead for the Netgalley/Edelweiss Challenge having once again read 5 books for that challenge reaching a total of 26 towards my goal of 36 for the year, at this point I'm thinking I can hit my secondary goal of 50 although I tend to slow down on NG/EW in the fall because of BEA books. And I'm also on track for the Rock My TBR Challenge by reading 2 books for that this month getting a total of 15 towards my goal of 25 for the year. And finally, the Audiobook Challenge. I listened to 3 audiobooks this month, giving me a total of 20 for the year which is ahead of my goal of 30 or more. I am still killing these challenges, which is great because I am so competitive.

The Books
1.) Don't You Cry by Mary Kubica Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
2.) The Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May
Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [My Review]
3.) The Long Game by Jennifer Lynn Barnes 
Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
4.) The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson 
Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
5.) With Malice by Eileen Cook Rating: 10 out of 10 [My Review]
6.) Ivory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [My Review]
7.) Cure for the Common Universe by Christian McKay Heidicker 
Rating: 6 out of 10 [My Review]
8.) And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Rating: 10 out of 10 [My Review]
9.) And I Darken by Kiersten White Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [My Review]
10.) Dangerous Boys by Abigail Haas Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
11.) You by Caroline Kepnes Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
12.) American Girls by Allison Uminger 
Rating: 8 out of 10 [Review to Come]

Other Posts

To Be Read in July: Contemprary? No Theme?

In the cycle of TBRs, this month I have decided not to put as many books. I didn't have a great month last month so I'm putting a conservative list here. Or maybe I'm just mellowing out even more and not really planning out my books this far in advance. I mean I don't even have a theme. I was going to do contemporary because I always do that at some point during the summer but it doesn't really work looking at the books I know I'm going to read. Oh well. Here are the books I may read.

New Releases


This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab - Add to Goodreads
YES! I am so excited that this book is finally coming out next week. I am so excited for the Victoria Schwab dark YA fantasy about monsters.

Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies by Lindsay Ribar - Add to Goodreads
I still am really interested in reading this book despite not reading it last month. I may just cave and buy a copy. It just sounds so weird and interesting.

A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir - Add to Goodreads
I was kind of a black sheep when it came to this book. I know most people are super excited about it but I'm not really. But I may get the audio because Steve West and Fiona Hardingham.

Backlist Books 


Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan - Add to Goodreads
I bought the audiobook for this awhile ago during an audible sale because it has two of my favorite narrators. I need an audiobook for my drive to NY for 4th of July weekend so this will be the one when I finish Ink and Bone.

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson - Add to Goodreads
I think now may also be the time to start my next Cosmere book. I don't really have many audiobooks planned for this month so it could be a good chance for this one.

Books for Review


Paper and Fire by Rachel Caine Add to Goodreads
I was hoping to read this last month but I didn't have the chance to get to it. Mostly because I wanted to reread Ink and Bone first. But this is my read for the weekend and I'm excited.

Learning to Swear in America by Katie Kennedy - Add to Goodreads
I think this is about the end of the world. Right? An astroid is coming. Plus it sounds like a cute contemporary with nerdy characters. Sounds Fun

Heroine Complex by Sarah Kuhn - Add to Goodreads
This sounds so interesting. I mean I love books about superheroes and this sounds like such an interesting perspective. I love the idea of seeing the hero through their assistant/best friend.

The Devourers by Indra Das  - Add to Goodreads
Something about this book just pulls at. For some unexplained reason it reminds me of Uprooted. Plus it's a fantasy set in India which sounds really interesting.


How to Hang A Witch by Adriana MatherAdd to Goodreads
I'm so excited about this debut. It sounds really fantastic and write up my alley with the combination of history, fantasy, and revenge. Very cool.

Ghostly Echoes by William Ritter - Add to Goodreads
This is one of my most anticipated sequels and I am not waiting any longer to read my ARC. I need to find out what happened to Jenny. (Get ready Pilli!)

Baby Doll by Hollie Overton - Add to Goodreads
This was on my list last month and I never got to it. But I picked this up at BEA and it sounds like an interesting mystery/thriller.

Enter Title Here by Rahul Kanakia - Add to Goodreads
This sounds like a really interesting contemporary. I love the idea of a good girl doing the wrong thing. That's so realistic and a unique coming of age story.

Rereads


Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine - My Review
I need a refresher on this book before I read Paper and Fire plus I'm super curious about this audio. It seems like one that would work really well in that format.

Jackaby by William Ritter - My Review and Beastly Bones by William Ritter - My Review
I'm not sure I will reread these to prepare for Ghostly Echoes. I may wait a year and just marathon the first three before the final book comes out. Depends on what my audiobooks look like for the month.

There you have it. All the books I might read in July. Well not all. I had a bit slower month in June so I'm pulling back a bit on my planning so I may read more than this. Plus I skipped a bunch last month that I may go back to. We'll see. Plus there is no theme this month. I was thinking about doing Contemporary because summer but there are really only a few contemps I have planned so I don't know. What I'm saying here is that if you see books on my wrap up next month that aren't listed here, don't be too surprised. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

4 comments:

  1. Wow this month was a great mystery/thriller month for you! I only hope that I can step our of my comfort zone and read a lot of them too! I really enjoyed With Malice. It was engrossing and made me actually want to find out what happens to the characters after the book is over. Awesome wrap up and it seems as if you've had a great month!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. YESSSS!! I just cannot wait till you hit my DM with the Jenny feels, Cassi!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great month for you! I love the theme -- I get that way sometimes with books, where I just want to read the same genre! I have been wanting to read an Agatha Christie so I will give And Then There Were None a Try since you loved it!

    My June Recap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy a lot of suspense and thrillers during the summer months. Thanks so much for these fabulous recommendations. My favorite thriller of the summer so far is "Naked Ambition" by Rick Pullen (http://rickpullen.com/). The book follows investigative reporter Beck and his findings about a presidential candidate's unsavory past. The book has it all: twists and turns, corrupt politicians and dirty money, sex, violence and some great characters. It really left me with so many thoughts and questions about how things really are in politics and journalism! A really fun and thoughtful summer read! I hope your readers will check it out!

    ReplyDelete