Thursday, March 23, 2017

Discussion Posts: What Makes You Comment?

Hi Everyone,
When thinking about what to write about in my monthly discussion post I had one idea. I've been thinking a lot about blog comments lately. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I feel like the comments over here have been down lately. Now don't get me wrong, I never did get a ton of comments but I could usually count on each post to get one or two and if I was really lucky four or five. But these days I feel like I am lucky if I get two comments on my posts. And it doesn't matter if it's a review, a discussion post, or a meme comments are down.

One thing I want to say before I go any further is that it's not like I expect comments. There is nothing that mandates people comment on my post. I mean there is nothing saying that people have to read my posts. It's nice when they do one of those things but it's especially nice if you do both. Seeing comments is the best way to validate that you read and liked a person's post. It shows them that "I was here and something resonated." So even though I know there is nothing saying people have to comment I can't help but feel like maybe my posts aren't as good or maybe people aren't reading them as much. I know that's not true and I'm a Ravenclaw and therefore a logical thinker so let's break it down to make me feel better.

Why Do I Comment?

I have to take a second to think about the reason that I might comment on a post. And there are any number of reasons why I might comment on a post. By far I think the posts I comment most on are memes like Top Ten Tuesday and Waiting on Wednesday. I think this is normal. The whole point of this is to connect people throughout the blogosphere and it definitely does. Then I think I am more likely to comment on reviews for books that I have read. I think when I read a review of a book I have read there is a tendency to add something akin to "me too." I want to add things like "I also found the pacing slow" or "I know they didn't work for you but I liked the characters."

I also tend to comment on the posts written by my blogger friends. There are just some blogs that you read every day or every time that they post. Maybe it's because you really like what they have to say or maybe it's because you really like them as people. I know cliches are bad but friendship is good, right? Over the years I've developed some good relationships with fellow bloggers. These are often the people whose blogs I like and reviews I trust. So when I see that they have a new post I will definitely read it and I want to support them by adding my two cents.

I will also sometimes comment back to people who commented to me. Now admittedly I am not very good at this. If I see someone has commented (whether they are an old follower or a new one) I usually forget to check out their site and to say something. And sometimes I will go to their site and not have anything to comment on. I can comment on anything but as statated above, I prefer to comment on books I have read so I can say "me too" instead of saying "I want to read this, it sounds really good." Which to be entirely honest is stupid. Some of my favorite comments are people saying that I convinced them to read the book I was reviewing. I should try to be better about this.

Why Wouldn't I Comment?

Well, again there are a few reasons why I might not comment on something. For one I think you have probably figured out that I wouldn't comment on a post if I have no interest in reading the book. We all have different tastes which is totally fine. It's one of the best things about this crazy blogosphere that you can find all kinds of different people and reviews. But if I see a post from someone that is about like an adult romance I am not going to read it and therefore not going to comment.

But the weirdest reason is if I haven't read the book but want to. These are often reviews I will read but not comment on. Maybe because I think I have nothing meaningful to say. Like often I will read multiple reviews for the same book, especially if it's a hyped up book just to see what different people are saying. Because as stated, different people have different opinions. But you can only say "I can't wait to read this book. Great review!" so many times.

I also read recently that the amount of engagement matters, I can't remember who wrote a post talking about this. It's frustrating me because it's one of the reasons why I decided to do this discussion. But last week someone said something about people are least likely to comment on posts with a lot of comments or ones with no comments. And this I think is true for me. When a post already has a ton of comments I think that I can't add anything else and I don't comment. But at the same time if there are no comments I don't want to be the first. But isn't that a thing on YouTube. People are always trying to be the first to comment. We should get more like that.

What About People Commenting For Me?

Well, if I am operating under the assumptions that people comment similar to me than I can come to a few conclusions. For one, I need to explore more and comment more. The best way to get comments and expand the interactions is to make the first move. I'm definitely not very good at this and should get better. I also would like to start finding some more blogs. When I first started I was all about finding that awesome new blog that could share some insight I didn't have and talk about books that I also loved and hated. I've gotten away from that.

I also think that other that that there isn't much else I can do. I know that reviews never get that many comments. I shouldn't really be upset if a review doesn't get any comments. But I can't help but feel like I'm doing something wrong. If people are like me and they prefer to comment on books that they have read and/or are new to them then I guess I could share some different books with people. But honestly there have been some books that I thought would be really popular like The Song Rising, To All the Boys I Loved Before, and A Conjuring of Light that didn't get many comments. But maybe I could read some different kinds of books that are either really popular or new to people.

But for the most part I'm just curious about what makes you comment on a post? What would encourage you to comment more? What about your posts? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

11 comments:

  1. Interesting discussion. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about this stuff, too.

    What makes me comment? 1. If the post is a discussion post that asks my opinion. I’m a very opinionated person. 2. If the post was written by one of my blogger friends. 3. If it’s a review of a book I’ve read. I like to see if other people’s opinions match mine. 4. If it’s a review of a book I’m considering reading. 5. If it’s a post in a linkup/meme I’m participating in. I don’t comment on posts about books/topics that don’t interest me.

    I’ve noticed that my blog gets fewer comments on days when I don’t comment on other people’s blogs. Making connections in the community is really important.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely have similar commenting habit. I also really like commenting on discussion posts that ask my opinion. I always try to end every post on a question. It's my attempt to get people talking. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But you're right, commenting on others blogs is the most effective way I think.

      Delete
  2. FIRST!! Hahaha... actually I'm not first, but can we please start that trend???!! I definitely comment on posts of books I read more than books I haven't read. I always have something I want to bring up about the books I read, regardless if the review is positive or not. I also usually think of SOMETHING to say on a post if I was there longer than a glance-over. I try to comment back-- but sometimes when I go to visit people's blogs, they're not posting about ANYTHING that I have an opinion on. I cannot comment on Adult Romance, or New Adult erotica. I got nothing.

    I'm also more likely to comment if the tone of the post is fun and has personality. Sometimes I'll read a review and I'm all ZZZzzzZZZ. It's just my personal preference, but I don't like super studious reviews or discussions. I like it when I feel like the person is having a conversation with a friend. When people start getting too book report on me, I fade out.

    Comments are weird, but I feel like we all care if we get them or not :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Let's bring this to the blogosphere. We should be fighting to comment and not be like "meh, maybe I'll comment."

      I can totally respect the fact that you have personal preference on the content and if you find it interesting you will comment. I think I find those ones easier to comment on.

      Delete
  3. I tend to comment on posts that I think I have something to contribute to. Be it one that asked for my thoughts, or it's about a book that I've read or want to read. I like to comment with congratulations when it's a debut author, cause I feel like they've worked hard to get their book out there. I try to comment back on all the comments that I get, if just to say thanks for leaving a comment. The most comments I get seem to be on my TTT posts, and from a few bloggers who's blogs that I comment on regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always prefer to comment on posts I think I have something to contribute as well. I think that's why I tend to comment on books I have read and avoid posts with a ton of comments. The most comments I get are on TTT posts too. It's just so much easier those days.

      Delete
  4. I was actually thinking about this recently because I don't comment on a lot of blogs, and I feel like I should comment more. But then again, I usually comment if I feel like I have something to say that will contribute to the conversation or be a meaningful response to the post. There are a lot of comments that don't seem as genuine, like the person is commenting, just to comment; and I don't want to be like that. I would personally prefer to have 1 genuine comment on a post, to 5 people saying "nice post". Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally makes sense. Having a bunch of people saying "great post" or "I'm excited to read this" isn't super validating but then again, a comment is a comment. I have been trying to comment more lately but it's hard. I think making an extra effort is always good though.

      Delete
  5. I comment if the subject matter or the book that is reviewed interest me. Even for books I want to read but haven't yet, I'll comment about something from the very beginning (or the rating) of the review just to say hello... And when it comes to my blogger friends, I comment on most of their posts, even if it may take me a while to catch up.
    Life can be busy sometimes, though, and I think that't the case for a lot of bloggers lately. I have friends who are away on spring break, others who have family visiting, and that just leads to less time spent online, too :)
    Great discussion subject!!
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexxie. I agree, it's totally hard sometimes. When I'm really busy with work or life it's much harder to comment on posts but taking the time is always great. I think just saying a quick hello like you said is a good idea. Just letting the person know you were there and you read their post.

      Delete
  6. PRP Tedavisi, özellikle ortopedi, dermatoloji ve estetik alanlarında kullanılan bir yöntemdir. Bu tedavi, kişinin kendi kanının kullanıldığı bir süreçtir. Hastadan alınan kan, özel bir işlemden geçirilerek trombosit (platelet) açısından zenginleştirilir. Bu zenginleştirilmiş kan daha sonra hasar görmüş veya iyileşme ihtiyacı olan doku bölgelerine enjekte edilir. PRP'nin temel fikri, vücudun doğal iyileşme sürecini hızlandırmak ve dokuların yeniden yapılanmasına yardımcı olmaktır. Saç dökülmesi, cilt yenileme ve bazı ortopedik rahatsızlıkların tedavisinde etkili olduğu gözlemlenmiştir.

    ReplyDelete